KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Soul Calibur III

Soul Calibur III
Started by: Draco69

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

Soul Calibur III

Discuss.

Namco unveiled details on Soul Calibur III today and confirmed the game's release this year in the US. The title is the third entry in the Soul Calibur series, Namco's impressive weapon-based fighting franchise that began on the original PlayStation. According to currently available information, it appears that, unlike its predecessor Soul Calibur II, the game will be exclusive to the PlayStation 2 when it ships sometime this year.

While Namco didn't reveal a great deal of information, there were still some nice tidbits on what to expect. The game's story will apparently revolve around a mysterious individual who revives Nightmare, everyone's favorite demonic armor-clad warrior. This is clearly a perfect excuse for some one-on-one combat. The game's roster will feature three new fighters, bringing the tally of playable characters to more than 25. Setsuka is a busty umbrella-wielding fighter who is sporting some platform flip-flops and a sword housed in her parasol. While her last name hasn't been revealed, we half expect her to be a cousin of Mai Shiranui of Fatal Fury fame. The second character is a green-clad female named Kira, who's wielding either the world's biggest chakram or the world's most badass hula hoop. Finally, the last and most striking of the characters is an African fighter named Zasalamel, who sports a distinctly Egyptian flavor and is rocking a wicked-looking scythe with a bird motif.

Namco has touched on several new modes that are in line with the game types we've seen in previous entries in the series, although some of these modes sport new names. The tale of souls mode sounds like the traditional single-player experience we've played in previous games, and it will have you playing through the game with each character in order to view their unique ending sequences. The versus standard mode will let you face off against a friend. Chronicles of the sword is an intriguing new mode that ties in with another new addition to the Soul Calibur experience, character creation. This original feature will let you create your own character by choosing its sex, occupation, weapon, and some physical characteristics. Once you've made your virtual self, you can take the character into the chronicles of the sword mode, which is billed as a real-time simulation that lets you watch your character engage in battles. Although the info provided on the mode is a bit sketchy, we expect that it may be similar to the artificial intelligence mode seen in Virtua Fighter 4.

Mention of a world competition mode hints at a competition wherein you'll have to climb through the ranks of fighters, which sounds like some form of ranked tournament-style ladder. Practice mode appears to be the obligatory mode that lets you practice your moves on a hapless AI opponent whose behavior you can customize. Soul arena mode surely promises unique battles of some kind. Finally, a museum mode will let you view the franchise history as well as all the content you've unlocked in your butt-kicking travels. The last bit of information revealed mentions familiar stage locations that include a castle in Germany, a shrine in Greece, and the top of a clock tower.

Unfortunately, both the fact sheet and Namco itself were unable to shed light on two questions that were burning in our minds, namely whether or not Soul Calibur III will feature online play and whether or not the game would see an arcade release of some kind. Hopefully we'll get word on that soon. Until then, PlayStation 2 owners can look forward to Soul Calibur III sometime this year. Look for more as soon as it becomes available.

Attachment: 927089_20050323_screen002.jpg
This has been downloaded 282 time(s).

Old Post Mar 25th, 2005 07:33 PM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MetallicaT
Vicarious

nice
loved both 1 and 2..was thinkin about selling my ps2...now, probably not

thx for the info

Old Post Mar 26th, 2005 12:41 AM
MetallicaT is currently offline Click here to Send MetallicaT a Private Message Find more posts by MetallicaT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

hopefully 3 isnt as disappointing as 2

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 01:43 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robo-Chocobo

I'm dissapointed Namco is turning their backs to all the fans of the other versions of SC2. SC2 GC ver had the highst sales...you'd think they would at least make a ver for the cube.....

sigh.....this is almost as big a backstab as capcom's "console exclusitivety"

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 03:38 AM
Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draco69
Snarky Slytherin

I owned the the SC GC version because I wanted to play as Link. Didn't feel like playing as Spawn or the old bastard Hihci... whatever his name is.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 03:42 AM
Draco69 is currently offline Click here to Send Draco69 a Private Message Find more posts by Draco69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ZomBiE_HunTER
To Serve

Im getting 3.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 03:46 AM
ZomBiE_HunTER is currently offline Click here to Send ZomBiE_HunTER a Private Message Find more posts by ZomBiE_HunTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sai12
its all in my head

Aww, no way! Exclusive? I hope they change their minds about that...*sighs*

Made by BX. http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=23119621 Please?

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 05:14 AM
sai12 is currently offline Click here to Send sai12 a Private Message Find more posts by sai12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MetallicaT
Vicarious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
hopefully 3 isnt as disappointing as 2

what was disappointing about 2?

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 06:09 AM
MetallicaT is currently offline Click here to Send MetallicaT a Private Message Find more posts by MetallicaT Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

there was nothing new?.. it was like playing a crappier version of sc1 except with new characters

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 10:19 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

It won't be exclusive for long, I mean there is NO more exclusive games period. I give it by Christmas and they announce it for GC and/or XBox, and we have the exclusive characters back. I think these new characters suck horribly, I just want Link back, since 2 was so damn amazing to begin with, 3 will suck with a shitty cast of new characters.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 04:04 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JToTheP
Waitin for Brawl

there was nothing new?.. it was like playing a crappier version of sc1 except with new characters

blink Weapon mission mode was enough to keep me playing before I even got into Arcade & Versus mode, all the different weapons to pick from, added to the replay value. I don't see what was bad about 2 at all, since the GC version was the best I thought.

Old Post Mar 27th, 2005 04:05 PM
JToTheP is currently offline Click here to Send JToTheP a Private Message Find more posts by JToTheP Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Yes, but if you remember the jump in gameplay from soul edge to soul calibur.. it was like a revolutionary re-design in fighting game controls. Now its just becoming a stale repeat like pokemon

Old Post Mar 28th, 2005 05:38 AM
Robo-Chocobo

All the game companies always do what's best for sony.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2005 05:09 PM
Robo-Chocobo is currently offline Click here to Send Robo-Chocobo a Private Message Find more posts by Robo-Chocobo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by JToTheP
It won't be exclusive for long, I mean there is NO more exclusive games period.

So can we expect to see Mario and Samus Aran on X-box, PS2 etc?

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Mar 28th, 2005 05:33 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

http://www.gametrailers.com/player....90&type=mov
a demo of soul calibur 3 in progress...

and that was a bad example Morri.. he wasnt talking about characters created specifically by a company that makes their own console. He was referring to games like grand theft auto, manhunt, dance dance revolution.. which have seemed to traverse multiple consoles

Old Post Mar 29th, 2005 06:34 AM
MetallicaT
Vicarious

http://www.gametrailers.com/player....90&type=mov
a demo of soul calibur 3 in progress...

and that was a bad example Morri.. he wasnt talking about characters created specifically by a company that makes their own console. He was referring to games like grand theft auto, manhunt, dance dance revolution.. which have seemed to traverse multiple consoles

i think he was being sarcastic....maybe not...i dunno

Old Post Mar 29th, 2005 07:20 AM
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Gamecube Soul Caliber sold the most........

XBox version looked the best.........

And the PS2 gets Soul Caliber III.

Makes sense.

What the f**k?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2005 10:55 AM
Red Superfly is currently offline Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

that hoop girl Tiris just looks too damn awesome.. I might have found my new favorite character.. o_O (if kilik is still the damn same that is)

Old Post Mar 29th, 2005 11:27 AM
Morridini
Morridini

Originally posted by MetallicaT
i think he was being sarcastic....maybe not...i dunno

Yeah, I came with those examples as a way for showing JToTheP that he cant say there absolutely are NO more exclusive games.

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post Mar 29th, 2005 01:53 PM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Tira
(please log in to view the image)

I hope she plays as good as I think she might.. a weapon like that definately calls for a 360 degree range of movement.. and I hope they change her voice.. -_-

Old Post Mar 29th, 2005 02:08 PM