KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Half Life 2: Episode 1

Half Life 2: Episode 1
Started by: Acherontia

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Koala MeatPie
Tonk's Husband

-=- Half ife: Aftermath -=- (Expension pack)

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 07:16 PM
Koala MeatPie is currently offline Click here to Send Koala MeatPie a Private Message Find more posts by Koala MeatPie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Cant wait for it, Im so looking forward to the high dynamic lighinting

Old Post Jul 15th, 2005 08:03 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Just finished it.

It's a very intense game. It doesnt let up. Wasnt to keen of having Alyx beside you, but somehow Valve design it to the point that it felt pretty natural for her to be around, and kinda of interesting. The sequences with the flashlight are pretty nifty and the new Zombine is pretty fun too. Also, Valve use of scripted events are pretty spetacular compared to most games. ( The car ride).

The pack somewhat answers a few questions but in reality, it poses more questions than answering them. Overall, if you love Half Life 2, or atleast enjoyed it, and guarentee you love this episode. It's more great Half Life fun.

Lana, if you read this, it might be better to rename this Half Life:Episode 1.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2006 06:28 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Highlord
Cant wait for it, Im so looking forward to the high dynamic lighinting
The high dynamic stuff is already out, it was out when Lost coast was out stick out tongue

Edit: Notices that I just replyed to a 1 year old post no expression

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2006 07:08 AM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by IcePunk
The high dynamic stuff is already out, it was out when Lost coast was out stick out tongue

Edit: Notices that I just replyed to a 1 year old post no expression

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

EIDT: You Boob

is it comprehensible.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2006 04:40 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

So nonbody has played the game yet?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2006 05:47 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I'm holding off on buying it...not because I'm skeptical or because I'm not dying to play it, but because it's the only damn game coming out in the next month and a half that I really care about and I don't want to finish it with like 4 weeks before the next new game I'm somewhat excited for (Prey).

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2006 08:55 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raijin
Yeah, changed name

Prey's late no expression

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2006 02:27 PM
Raijin is currently offline Click here to Send Raijin a Private Message Find more posts by Raijin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by BackFire
I'm holding off on buying it...not because I'm skeptical or because I'm not dying to play it, but because it's the only damn game coming out in the next month and a half that I really care about and I don't want to finish it with like 4 weeks before the next new game I'm somewhat excited for (Prey).

Make's sense.

I was thinking about waiting till I get a new card, but I couldnt.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2006 06:23 PM
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

after my card burned off im waiting a week or 2 until the replacement arrives, cause im not playing this with this old directx 8.1 card

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2006 08:23 PM
Lord Andres is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Andres a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Andres Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

I just sat down to play only to find out it just ended after like 3 hours and 10mins, its way way way to short, dosent answer very many quastion if thats what your looking for, however the action is great while it lasts, but having a game this short is acturly pretty bad, I dont feel like my 20 USD were put in the best use, there are no new weapons either which IMO should have been there if they are gonna have the game this short, I hope Episode 2 will have more meat on the bone, all in all not really worth having this as a exsapnsion could as well have been the 2 last chapters in the original HL2, I rate it 6½/10

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 07:20 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by The Highlord
I just sat down to play only to find out it just ended after like 3 hours and 10mins, its way way way to short, dosent answer very many quastion if thats what your looking for, however the action is great while it lasts, but having a game this short is acturly pretty bad, I dont feel like my 20 USD were put in the best use, there are no new weapons either which IMO should have been there if they are gonna have the game this short, I hope Episode 2 will have more meat on the bone, all in all not really worth having this as a exsapnsion could as well have been the 2 last chapters in the original HL2, I rate it 6½/10

You didnt read anythign about this game before you bought it?

If you did your research, you would of known its a short game. It's an episode and not intended to be an full on expansion. So, your wrong, its not an expansion.

It does answer the main question on how you survive and what happens afterwords.
What it doesnt answer is who the G-man is.
It also leaves questions because it is the first part of an 3 part episode. Whats the point of having 3 episodes if the first one answers all the questions.

Lastly,

take $17 (thats what I paid for it) times it by three and you get $51. For roughly 12 hours of gameplan, thats an pretty good money value there, especially for all the action it has.
Would you rather pay $60 for an 10 hour game (like FEAR and countless other FPS games)?
So what Valve did was release the game in episodes so people dont complain for the wait. Would you rather have an 12 hour game (longer if stay around and explore, listen to all the broadcasts and play on hard) which Valve would release in 3 years? Or three individual episodes that span those three years.

Lastly again, if this was the last two chapters as you say it should of been, we wouldnt of had the introduction of HDR and also HL2 would of taken another 2 years or so.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 03:59 AM
SaTsuJiN
Wielder of Thunder Seal

Hmm.. it looked neat...and I did play through regular HL2 single player... but I wish you could do co-op with a friend playing as the 2nd character or something

My MySpace SaTsu's Sketchbook My Deviant Art

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 07:40 AM
SaTsuJiN is currently offline Click here to Send SaTsuJiN a Private Message Find more posts by SaTsuJiN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Bought it yesterday and finished it early after. It's a cool game, answeres some of the questions and shows how the city looks like now. It's pretty cool, to bad there are no new weapons yet, oh well...

The thing I like about Half-Life is that it is so mysterious. Now the world is flocked by these mysterious monsters (head crabs, zombies, antlions), it seems that the citadel and all the work there is the only thing that keeps them out. Now that it is going off, the city is swarmed with creatures, hell is breaking loose. And the seas are filled with these worm like creatures who consume everything that steps out about 5m in the water. I'd sure like to know how this will be solved...

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 01:11 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

Originally posted by Smasandian
You didnt read anythign about this game before you bought it?

If you did your research, you would of known its a short game. It's an episode and not intended to be an full on expansion. So, your wrong, its not an expansion.

It does answer the main question on how you survive and what happens afterwords.
What it doesnt answer is who the G-man is.
It also leaves questions because it is the first part of an 3 part episode. Whats the point of having 3 episodes if the first one answers all the questions.

Lastly,

take $17 (thats what I paid for it) times it by three and you get $51. For roughly 12 hours of gameplan, thats an pretty good money value there, especially for all the action it has.
Would you rather pay $60 for an 10 hour game (like FEAR and countless other FPS games)?
So what Valve did was release the game in episodes so people dont complain for the wait. Would you rather have an 12 hour game (longer if stay around and explore, listen to all the broadcasts and play on hard) which Valve would release in 3 years? Or three individual episodes that span those three years.

Lastly again, if this was the last two chapters as you say it should of been, we wouldnt of had the introduction of HDR and also HL2 would of taken another 2 years or so.

No I didint read much about it, still dosent change the fact that it feels far to short, there is good action I'l give it that, but no new neat weapons, and you have to hear alyx talk all the time which I got tired of, infact I'd rather get longer game and have to wait longer cause in all honesty its much more fun while it lasts, it just makes for a better exspiriance IMO, and if there are gonna be 3 games like this we'l have only about 9 hours gameplay anyway sad I hope episode 2 and 3 will be much better then this and HL2 wouldint have taken 2 more years if they made this in the orgianl no way that long.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 02:15 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Umm.. dude, what do you expect for $17 bucks?

Are you expecting 10 hours of gameplay? If you are, then you shouldnt of bought it.

9 hours of gamplay. That's pretty much the same amount of time it takes to finish FEAR, if you dont listen to all the phonecalls. King Kong is about 6 hours long. Most FPS are about 9-10 hours long.

It's not an expansion. It was never suppose to be an expansion. Why do you still think the game should have new weapons. What's the point? Just so you can have somethign different?

The game is pretty much the best Half Life experience they're is. Keyword Half Life. If you didnt like hearing Alyx talking, then you shouldnt of bought it considering that's what Half Life is all about. If you just wanted a game that you go through and shoot everbody, get Painkiller or Doom 3.

Yes, it would of taken about 2 years to add these levels with HDR. If it took them this long to make the episode, why would it not take this long to put it in the end game?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 05:57 PM
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

for 17 I exspected more then that, exspansions havint been priced much higer as far as I know and always had loads more play time, and ya when another release is out one of the things I'd like to see is a diffrent weapon if not 2 or 3, it just a great add, I didint say I ddint like hearing Alyx talk, its just taht she is around 95% of the time, which i find annoying, since I always loved to be alone and getting briefed etc. from time to time, shes like a heavy podato bag having to drag along, alright sure she can be around a little but all the time troughtout the whole game wasint what i was hopeing for, well presonaly I dont think the HDR where that great in this one since you spent alot of time indoors with fairly steady lights, so that I could have lived with or without HDR honestly

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 10:50 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Most expansion packs are around $39 bucks.

Doom 3's expansion pack was around that when it came out, and it only has about 8 hours of game time.

So if I did the math, for me, I finished it around 4 hours, and I only played normal, so with hard I'm seeing an extra hour. So $34 for roughly 8-10 hours of gameplay, while Doom 3's expansion pack was around the same time for the similar money.

$17 is pretty good considering how good the gameplay was. It's the finest Half Life gameplay they're is.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 06:13 AM
RedAlertv2

Ill probably get bored over the summer and buy it.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 06:54 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Andres
Wanted Dead or Alive

well personaly I liked the 5 last episodes of HL2 better, I really liked also say that part where your driving and then get to this town and you need to shoot choopers down, that part and some of the later stuff was really about the most thrilling nad exsiting a pc has been for me

Old Post Jun 12th, 2006 06:58 AM