KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Graphics Cards

Graphics Cards
Started by: Fire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fire

Question Graphics Cards

I think I'm gonna need a new one:
I own a Radeon 9600pro 256mb. But I fear that that will not be enough to enjoy Age of Empires 3 on a decent level. Atleast not according to my internet searching (since no official specs have been released) So can anyone (looksat SaTsuJin, Link and BF) recommend me a new one, but my budget is like 150$ max.

so anyone got any ideas?

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 03:54 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

check out toms hardware guide to have full reviews on hardware stuff including video cards. He runs benchmarks on everything.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 04:39 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
an_old_wonderer

256mb, im sure it will....i have 128mb and i can run many high graphic games... i.e. doom 3 on high quality, MOH pacific assault high quality, rome total war most of it on medium-high

256MB PWN X-D

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 09:29 PM
an_old_wonderer is currently offline Click here to Send an_old_wonderer a Private Message Find more posts by an_old_wonderer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Fire
I think I'm gonna need a new one:
I own a Radeon 9600pro 256mb. But I fear that that will not be enough to enjoy Age of Empires 3 on a decent level. Atleast not according to my internet searching (since no official specs have been released) So can anyone (looksat SaTsuJin, Link and BF) recommend me a new one, but my budget is like 150$ max.

so anyone got any ideas?

That should easily run Age 3. Radeon 9600 is still a good card, its not worth upgrading yet.

Originally posted by crazy_shadow
256mb, im sure it will....i have 128mb and i can run many high graphic games... i.e. doom 3 on high quality, MOH pacific assault high quality, rome total war most of it on medium-high

256MB PWN X-D

Not all the time, some 128mb cards perform better than 256mb cards. I was gonna get a 256mb card, but the 128mb card I got is much betterhappy (and more expensive)

Old Post Aug 24th, 2005 11:14 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I'd suggest ATI X800 Pro, they're fairly cheap and painfully good. Should run anything you want for a good while.

Or if you want you can get the Nvidia equivilent...Geforce 6800 whatever. But since you already have ATi you might as well stick with them, since switching video cards can cause some problems on occasion.

Or, if you're really willing to blow a large chunk of money, you can get the brand new Geforce 7800, which is the best currently available, but is very expensive.

OR, you can wait a bit longer to upgrade, the 9600 is a fine card still and may be able to run future games fairly well, might as well wait for the games to come out and test them on your current card, then upgrade if you're not satisfied with the performance.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 12:44 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I'm planning on doing that BF, yea I was thinking the X800 pro would be a very good choice.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 06:40 AM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

having good RAM would help also... it will help your PC run more smoothly while playing. Even if i had a high end graphics card i would still like to have RAM that equals the VC, just doesn make sense to have something like that.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 04:37 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

I have enough RAM that's not gonna be the problem.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2005 05:43 PM
Hazardous

Originally posted by El_NINO
having good RAM would help also... it will help your PC run more smoothly while playing. Even if i had a high end graphics card i would still like to have RAM that equals the VC, just doesn make sense to have something like that.

I have 1.5GB ram....and buying another 512mb hopefuly sometime this week big grin

I like being hardcore no expression It helps me win with the ladies no expression

Fire, how old is your computer? Well not really how old, but whats the best video card it can handle? Depending on how hardcore you are with gaming, it might be an idea to get the best card you can afford, at least you wont have any further upgrading worries for a long timethumb up

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 12:51 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

AGP mate (it's about two years old, with regular upgrading) I ain't that hardcore with gaming. I mostly play RTS and normally those don't require a heavy graphics card, but AoE3 looks really sweet so... But I'll wait and see.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 09:00 AM