KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » How much are you willing to spend on a computer

How much are you willing to spend on a computer
Started by: rotiart

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
rotiart
Stan Lee Stole my name

How much are you willing to spend on a computer

Honestly, If you were gonna save up to spend on a computer how much would you spend?

I was reading an article today that said $0-1000 are low tier computers.. $1001-2000 are mid tier computers... and $2001+ are high end computers...

So how much would you really spend on a computer?

Right now I'm looking at buy a 4600+ amd athlon dual core with 2 gigs of ram, 320 gigs of memory a liquid cooling system all for about obviously a sony dual layer dvd burner (no monitor or windows as i own them already)

Now i'm not putting in a physics card, nor am i putting in a high end videocard, because i don't play games like halo, counterstrike, doom 3, quake 4, etc... I like to use my computer as a media center to watch videos and play games that don't require highend graphics cards...

to that end i'm putting in a nvidia geforce 7300 gt 512 16x pci express x 16 video card

all this for 1052 dollars...

I guess if i had to buy a monitor and operating system... i'd have to fork out another 4-500 bucks and end up in the mid tier range... what about you guys? i see these computers online for like 400 bucks.. and others for 4000, and think man 400 bucks isn't gonna do much... but 4000..-18000 wtf are those guys thinking!!! (go to apple.com and build the most expensive thing you can for the macpro you'll see what i mean...

"There is no writer to purposely ignore a character's natural ability just because it suits the story."
"in some cases because the writer knows that Character A will dominate Character B easily and refuses to allow this to happen for the sake of the story."

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 06:05 AM
rotiart is currently offline Click here to Send rotiart a Private Message Find more posts by rotiart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

As much as I needed to. If you shop smart you can get stuff a lot cheaper, and if you spend a lot of time on the PC then you may as well get the most out of it performance wise. But say, for a physics card, I will most likely get one at some stage, however its not going to do me a lot of good right now so I see no point. For graphics cards, if you can spare an extra $200-$300 more, buy as close to top of the line as you can, there is no point paying $$ for a card thats going to be outperformed in 1-2 years (I just re-read and noticed you said it was for media stuff, so a 7300 will probably be good enough for that, but if later on you intend to game a bit more, you'll have to spend more money and get a better card), hell I'd get SLI if I could afford it, maybe for my next PC.

I'd say anything between $1000 - $1500 (AU) would be ok if you spent a bit of time on the computer mostly doing other activities, maybe a little bit of gaming. $1500 - $2000 can get a sweet rig for gaming if you shop around, anything over $2000 is only really if you are die hard about having the biggest and best stuff for max performance.

Example: PCPowerplay magazine has a list of the biggest, fastest, best bits of hardware for PCs, and they slap it all together and see how much you would have to pay, the current issue came to a whopping $14000 for a PC (this is paying $2000 just for a CPU, mind). And on the other side, they find the best stuff you can get for the cheapest price, cost about $2000.

Just dont be stupid with your money and end up paying $$ for stuff thats not going to perform well in a year or two.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 06:24 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

What I dont understand is why get a Media Center PC which requires a Video Card and TV tuner just to watch movies and maybe play a 2 or 3 games. Thats just way too much for something you will not use as much.

I would rather you do as Mist already said and look for a bargain on MOBOs, Video Cards, cases, fans, HDD etc. and I can certainly say that you could build your own PC for less than $1000 (Im assuming American or Canadian here) and you will have a mid to high end PC.

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 06:45 AM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I'm planning on building a new computer, and my goal is to do so for under $1000...preferably about $600-700. I don't really play PC games that much so it doesn't need to be top of the line, just not complete garbage.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 06:47 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swe_Bum
R.I.P Dimebag Darrell!

i think my costs 1000-1500$

Pure American Metal

My fanart/art-- My sigs

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 11:52 AM
Swe_Bum is currently offline Click here to Send Swe_Bum a Private Message Find more posts by Swe_Bum Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JKozzy
Agent Kozzy

Mine cost me about $900 last summer and for now it's still really good. I got good deals on all my parts and shopped smart.

3.2ghz P4 with HT
2GB ram
250gb hdd
MSI Radeon x800 256mb PCI Express x16
Asus mb p5ad2-e deluxe
16x dvd-rw
Performs great still, no regrets.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 02:34 AM
JKozzy is currently offline Click here to Send JKozzy a Private Message Find more posts by JKozzy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doan_m

probably under $1000. I don't need some absurdly high end video card that consumes enough power to fuel a hyperdrive, but I do however like to meet a bit over min reqs to play modern games.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 04:32 AM
doan_m is currently offline Click here to Send doan_m a Private Message Find more posts by doan_m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DiffidentAngel
Little old me

this one was about 400-500 and i can still play some of the latest games, its like 4 years old too, thinking of replacing it, like most folks here, goal = 1000 or less

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 11:58 AM
DiffidentAngel is currently offline Click here to Send DiffidentAngel a Private Message Find more posts by DiffidentAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

$1000 = low tier is a bunch of shit. If you know what your doing and do it yourself you can get a very good computer for a very good price. It mostly depends how high end video you need, and how nice of a monitor you want. And most people over spend on a processor.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 07:38 PM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

£400

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 03:34 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

$4.00...i wanna pay $4.00

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 03:45 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Well first off right now the best processor on the market is Intels Core 2 DUO and you can get it for about the same price as any good Athlon processor. So go with Intel.

if you build your own New Egg is a good site.

If you watch Slickdeals.net they will tell you when Dell has there 30% of systems deal. They should have one around Christmas. You can get a good computer for about 1000 bucks with that.

I build mine for about 1200.

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz which I got free from work, but it cost around 300 bucks normally.

2 gigs 240 pin DDR2 -- around 200 bucks

Board Asus Gforce SLI -- around 200

video cards 2-7600gt's 130 each.

basic drive 80 bucks.

total is about 1100.

This processor is so fast that I can have azureus downloading while burning a dvd watching a movie and play Mario chart 64 from an emulator. I could probably do more but I haven't tried.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 04:05 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mario CHART sounds like a boring game. erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 04:29 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phat J

****, a grand? i cant afford to spend that. i dont want to play any games on my pc, games like the original doom or something like that. but thats it. i dont play games on my pc. i just want to be able to use my cpu without it being slow. i use it for music and the internet, thats it. how much would that cost me to get a decent comp for what i need?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 04:37 PM
Phat J is currently offline Click here to Send Phat J a Private Message Find more posts by Phat J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

quote: (post)
Originally posted by InnerRise
Mario CHART sounds like a boring game. erm

No way the game rules. You can download it at WWW.mariocharts.gov. Your play as an accountant named Mario and you have to chart out the gains and loses of companies and the farther you get the larger companies you work for. The farthest I have gotten I Target though I have been trying to get Wal-Mart and McDonalds for so long.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 05:00 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LinixCobra
Hablo Espanol

big grin-- Laughing is good happy laughing--

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 05:13 PM
LinixCobra is currently offline Click here to Send LinixCobra a Private Message Find more posts by LinixCobra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by El_NINO
Oh you mean this
http://www.marioracing.com/play laughing out loud
Yeah, he misspelled KART.

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 09:04 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Alot. I love my PC's games and next year I plan to redo everything.

Definitly getting Dual Core Intels.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 09:52 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DiffidentAngel
Little old me

i don't know if anyone can help me out here, need a new monitor, but i'm not looking to spend too much, budget is about £200, anyone know a good monitor to get?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2006 05:32 PM
DiffidentAngel is currently offline Click here to Send DiffidentAngel a Private Message Find more posts by DiffidentAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

Originally posted by Phat J
****, a grand? i cant afford to spend that. i dont want to play any games on my pc, games like the original doom or something like that. but thats it. i dont play games on my pc. i just want to be able to use my cpu without it being slow. i use it for music and the internet, thats it. how much would that cost me to get a decent comp for what i need?

no you wouldnt need to spend a grand. Do you need a monitor and are you gonna build something or you need it all built for you? Send me a PM and I can help you out better.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2006 09:19 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote