KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Oblivion vs Fallout 3

Oblivion or Fallout 3, which is better?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Oblivion 12 52.17%
Fallout 3 7 30.43%
Too hard to choose 4 17.39%
Total: 23 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oblivion vs Fallout 3
Started by: Wil7

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Oblivion vs Fallout 3

I have been trying to compare these two games. I couldn't really choose which one I would rather have, Oblivion, or Fallout 3. Which would you rather have?

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 10:55 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phat J

i might be biased because i was more into videogames when i played oblivion but fallout failed to suck me in like oblivion did. the setting just doesnt really do it for me.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:00 PM
Phat J is currently offline Click here to Send Phat J a Private Message Find more posts by Phat J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Oblivion, because of the quests and the fact you can still level up after level 20, there's always something still to do in Oblivion.

Oh and Oblivion doesn't pull a beginners trap move, which is lock the doors in the final chamber and not tell the player if they save in there they can never come back out.

But Fallout 3's world feels better, the locations are better, so on the map side of things, Fallout beats Oblivion by far.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Nov 24th, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:02 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Phat J
i might be biased because i was more into videogames when i played oblivion but fallout failed to suck me in like oblivion did. the setting just doesnt really do it for me.

I have to agree that the setting I didn't like as much as I did Oblivion. All of the weapons in each game are really cool, but what stands out to me is the shooting the body parts in Fallout 3. I will say it is too close to say for me, but I probably would choose Oblivion, because I like my Argonian, and the abilities that any of the characters get in Oblivion.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:10 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Fallout 3.

The quests were more interesting and engaging, the leveling system wasn't a jumbled mess, the story was better, the world is far less generic and also more detailed and more fun to explore, and the combat is better.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:23 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Originally posted by BackFire
Fallout 3.

The quests were more interesting and engaging, the leveling system wasn't a jumbled mess, the story was better, the world is far less generic and also more detailed and more fun to explore, and the combat is better.

Quests being more interesting- I don't know about that
Story being better- I liked both stories pretty evenly
World- I liked the world better in Oblivion
Combat being better- Can't disagree, unless Fallout 3 didn't have the body targeting system, then they would both be evenly matched

I never had a guy run up to me in Fallout 3, and ask for my money, and that has happened so many times in Oblivion.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:29 PM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Fallout.

I enjoyed Oblivion, but I have never been a fan of that LoTR fantasy style setting, Zelda is about the only game(or any medium) where I enjoy that kind of stuff. Fallout's setting is a lot closer to reality, save for mutants. The combat is much better, I am actually playing the main story which I never did in Oblivion, and its just so much better at sucking you in. I put in 12 hours on my first day alone.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:31 PM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Neither Fallout 3 or Oblivion win when it comes to the third person views because they both equally suck.

I will say that Fallout 3 wins due to awesome weapons and the way you blow body parts off of enemies.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:32 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oblivion with mods>all. vanilla oblivion<half of all.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:40 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Neither Fallout 3 or Oblivion win when it comes to the third person views because they both equally suck.

I will say that Fallout 3 wins due to awesome weapons and the way you blow body parts off of enemies.

There's a mode called first person view in both games you know....guess what, you can switch between them.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:45 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Originally posted by @stroFan
Fallout.

I enjoyed Oblivion, but I have never been a fan of that LoTR fantasy style setting, Zelda is about the only game(or any medium) where I enjoy that kind of stuff. Fallout's setting is a lot closer to reality, save for mutants. The combat is much better, I am actually playing the main story which I never did in Oblivion, and its just so much better at sucking you in. I put in 12 hours on my first day alone.

You are missing out if you never played the story. That is why you think the Fallout story is better, because you never played Oblivion's story. Again, the only reason the combat is better is because of the shooting off limbs, and without it, it is Oblivion combat with guns. You need to play Oblivion's story, because it is an awesome story.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:48 PM
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like 3rd person oblivion for movement and stuff cause its more cinematic, but for combat, its 1st person.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:49 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
There's a mode called first person view in both games you know....guess what, you can switch between them.

I know you can choose to be in either first person or third person. I just think that the third person view sucks.

Old Post Nov 24th, 2008 11:54 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

I am not a big fan of the 3rd person views either, but besides that, the games are still fun.

The only main reason I say that Fallout 3, and Oblivion are even is because of the limb shooting off. If Oblivion had limb cutting off, Oblivion would be better.

Last edited by Ultimate Wil on Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:10 AM

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:00 AM
BackFire

Oblivion's story is incredibly generic. "Go save the world from hell demons".

The world is as well, just a run of the mill fantasy setting, nothing particularly unique or special about it.

Fallout 3 though, story is unique, the choices you can make actually affect the outcome, the side missions are infinitely better, and the world is one of the most well realized and unique settings to ever grace a game. There's so much detail in every little spot. The only problem with the Fallout 3 world is that it's a bit too small for all you can do and find, it feels cramped at times, but better this than Oblivion's often long stretches of land with nothing more than a bunch of pretty looking trees.

It's really no contest for me, not even close. I think Fallout 3 is better in every perceivable way.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:14 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

I heard DLC is coming with more quests which is cool, if you plus that with a patch to let you go past level 20, then this is the better game...i do have to say the combat is better in fallout, it's just that damn limitation that lets it down for me.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:20 AM
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Originally posted by BackFire
It's really no contest for me, not even close. I think Fallout 3 is better in every perceivable way.

It's o.k. if you think that, but the character creation in Fallout is terrible compared to Oblivion's, where each race has there own abilities in Oblivion, as where you get no special abilities. My Argonian>My Caucasion.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:20 AM
BackFire

It made up for it by having leveling up actually mean something in Fallout 3. It gave up giving each race a special ability for the perk system, which is more important and makes leveling matter.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:23 AM
@stroFan
SMUDGE

Originally posted by Wil7
You are missing out if you never played the story. That is why you think the Fallout story is better, because you never played Oblivion's story. Again, the only reason the combat is better is because of the shooting off limbs, and without it, it is Oblivion combat with guns. You need to play Oblivion's story, because it is an awesome story.

I played it for a while, but eventually just stopped and never went back. And when I started a new game I didnt go back to the story.

Made by da Piggle diggle Humsy.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:30 AM
@stroFan is currently offline Click here to Send @stroFan a Private Message Find more posts by @stroFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I have to admit I couldn't play more than an hour of Oblivion. After I escaped the prison that was it. Don't know why but everything felt stupid to me.

Fallout on the other hand pawned me right from the very beginning.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Nov 25th, 2008 12:32 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote