KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Exactly how were the Spartans [HALO] defeated by the Covenant?

Exactly how were the Spartans [HALO] defeated by the Covenant?
Started by: Darth Truculent

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Exactly how were the Spartans [HALO] defeated by the Covenant?

I'm having difficulty comprehending that a cloned genetically enhanced human could be defeated by the Covenant at the outbreak of the war. Master Chief was probably one of a handful of surviving Spartans by the time the war ended. So can someone explain how they were killed off? Were they massacred in one massive battle or just destroyed over the years?

War Doctor

Old Post Sep 14th, 2010 07:06 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Destroyed over the course of years. Something to keep in mind, is that despite all of the genetic mutations, Spartans are, actually, only barely equal with elites when it comes to speed and strength; they usually win mostly due to superior skill. That goes out the window when you're outnumbered 100 to 1 though, which is usually the case for Spartans in a fight.

So over the course of I believe 28 years (That's how long the war was), they were eventually just killed off; there weren't enough of them. There were 37 spartans from the SPARTAN-II program (which is the set that master chief is from), that fought in the entirety of the war. There are several billion covenant.

So, yeah. That's why they created the weaker but more numerous SPARTAN-III program. In Reach you play as a SPpartan-III.

Some of this might not be right though. I dunno as much as DarkC or Polaski do.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Sep 14th, 2010 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2010 07:17 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Re: Exactly how were the Spartans [HALO] defeated by the Covenant?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Master Chief was probably one of a handful of surviving Spartans by the time the war ended.

Actually I think by the end of the war Master chief was the last of the spartans, I don't remember there being any others but I think that a spartan III [SPOILER - highlight to read]: survived in reach.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Sep 14th, 2010 07:37 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Chief is not the only survivor.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Sep 14th, 2010 08:48 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Who else is there?

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Sep 15th, 2010 04:00 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Spartan_II

Almost all of them that are MIA are actually dead. The UNSC doesn't declare dead spartans as KIA for morale purposes (spartans are supposed to be "immortal"), so instead of branding them dead, they brand them as missing.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 15th, 2010 07:49 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

There's at least one or two other Spartans besides Master Chief. At the end of Ghosts of Onyx, they were stuck in some kind of weird sphere inside a planet with Halsey, trying to find a way out.

It's been a long time since I've read that book, though, so this might not be fully accurate.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 11:26 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

yeah linda fred and kelly are stuck in the dyson spear with dr. halsey on Onyx.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2010 07:06 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gates
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Spartans were operating on Macs.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2010 05:04 PM
Gates is currently offline Click here to Send Gates a Private Message Find more posts by Gates Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I've not read the books, but isn't it said in Halo (game) that Master Chief is the last surviving Spartan?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 21st, 2010 06:29 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote