KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

EA/Disney deal: A Hit or a Miss?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
This Deal's a Hit! 1 16.67%
This Deal's a Miss! 5 83.33%
Total: 6 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

EA gets Star Wars license

The good news? Dice, Bioware and Visceral will take the lead.

The bad: It's still EA.

==

Today it was announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. and Disney Interactive are entering into a multi-year, multi-title exclusive licensing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (EA) for the creation of new high quality Star Wars games aimed at the core gaming audience and spanning multiple genres for console, PC, mobile, and tablets.

Industry leaders and creators of best-in-class blockbuster games, the development and publishing teams at EA will collaborate with the creative teams at Lucasfilm to provide audiences with all-new gaming experiences set in the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy. As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE (Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.

"Our number one objective was to find a developer who could consistently deliver our fans great Star Wars games for years to come," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "When we looked at the talent of the teams that EA was committing to our games and the quality of their vision for Star Wars, the choice was clear."

While EA studios will develop for the core Star Wars gaming audience, Disney Interactive will focus on delivering new Star Wars games for casual audiences on mobile, social, tablet, and online gaming platforms.

"This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come," said John Pleasants, co-president of Disney Interactive. "Collaborating with one of the world's premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to fans around the world."

"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. "Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay."

More information, including titles in development, will be announced in the coming months. Continue to check StarWars.com for updates on the future of Star Wars gaming.

==

http://starwars.com/news/electronic...ars-gaming.html

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 08:22 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

its all ogre

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 7th, 2013 09:34 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morridini
Morridini

DICE - Battlefront 3 using their Frostbite 3 engine developed for Battlefield 4!

BioWare - A new Star Wars RPG, KotOR III or something new!

Visceral - This one screams Star Wars 1313, Visceral have solid experience with third person shooters, just as 1313 was supposed to be.

Let's see if this is what we get

Thanks to Raoul for the sig!

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:00 AM
Morridini is currently offline Click here to Send Morridini a Private Message Find more posts by Morridini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

EA... Well we can be optimistic...

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 7th, 2013 10:36 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

EA Acquires Exclusive Star Wars Game License

EA has struck an official deal with Disney to publish Star Wars games. The Games will be Star Wars projects for the core gaming audience.

Devs include BF3's Dice, Dead Space 3's Visceral and Mass Effect 3's Bioware.

All will be using BF4's Frostbite 3 engine.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05...rs-game-license

What do you guys think? Is it a win-win or not? EA was just named America's worst company recently but when they shine they really do. Is this deal a hit or miss?

And what games Star Wars games would you like EA to make?

Me personally, I like the deal and Dice's Battlefront 3 with the power of the Frostbite 3 engine, the best graphics engine out there and my favorite engine, as well, = Win, i'd say...

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 8th, 2013 03:01 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

There's been a time in the past decade where EA shined?

(in other words - they only "shine" when they are completely hands off and let their studios work on their own.)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Last edited by Peach on May 8th, 2013 at 04:05 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2013 04:01 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 8th, 2013 08:36 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

It'd be amazing if EA focuses on sports games, and lets the companies be good without their input.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 11:02 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Well I guess I'm done playing Star Wars games for a while.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 11:16 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

quote: (post)

Yeah, my bad. I should've used search instead of a quick gloss over of the last few C/VGD forums since it's new news. I missed yours and did this one.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 9th, 2013 12:28 AM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Peach
There's been a time in the past decade where EA shined?

(in other words - they only "shine" when they are completely hands off and let their studios work on their own.)

EA sports is king.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 9th, 2013 12:30 AM
Peach
mordrem

Merged threads.

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
EA sports is king.

Easy to be king when you have no competition!

Old Post May 9th, 2013 02:40 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Knights of the Old Republic III now with co-op and online matchmaking and you can't enter the campaign for it requires internet. Pre-order now and you get an exclusive Zillo Beast Armor set only at Gamestop and downloadable side missions will be available on Xbox Live and PSN for $4.99 each at day one. EA: We do it because we care.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 02:41 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Yeah, my bad. I should've used search instead of a quick gloss over of the last few C/VGD forums since it's new news. I missed yours and did this one.

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Knights of the Old Republic III now with co-op and online matchmaking and you can't enter the campaign for it requires internet. Pre-order now and you get an exclusive Zillo Beast Armor set only at Gamestop and downloadable side missions will be available on Xbox Live and PSN for $4.99 each at day one. EA: We do it because we care.

To be fair, TOR is already under that banner.

Then again, it's EA.

==

PES > FIFA, btw.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 9th, 2013 03:01 AM
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Peach
Merged threads.

Easy to be king when you have no competition!

2K.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 9th, 2013 02:34 PM
Peach
mordrem

Only makes basketball (which EA does not do anymore) and baseball (which EA does not do anymore).

So no, EA faces no real competition with their sports games.

Old Post May 9th, 2013 10:46 PM
FistOfThe North

For years EA's had "Live" until '11. And the series is about to get rebooted and released by 3/14 as NBA Live '14. And Both do Tennis, so. There's comp. Not much, but it's there. Which is a good thing.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 10th, 2013 12:58 AM
Peach
mordrem

They've been saying they were going to restart Live since 2011. It hasn't happened yet.

There's no actual competition at all.

Old Post May 10th, 2013 02:25 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

EA can't do MLB. 2K Sports can't do NFL ,FIFA or PGA Tour. (but I don't think 2K has ever made a soccer game or golf game).

But for basketball and hockey, both EA and 2K have rights. EA is going to release Live on next gen and 2K stopped making NHL games because they sucked.

But the fault lays with the leagues who sell the rights. Is EA/2K at fault for wanting to make money from a sports game? Nope. It's the league that sells it. NHL doesn't allow a company to have exclusive licenses to their games. NFL, FIFA, PGA Tour, NASCAR and MLB do. (not sure about basketball but I think it's in the same boat as NHL)

Old Post May 10th, 2013 02:49 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

EA hints that a new Star Wars Battlefront game is in development.

Good news, everyone! We may yet see Star Wars Battlefront 3! At least, according to Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen, who today teased that the publisher may well have the title in development.

http://www.gamedynamo.com/article/s... in_development

alas.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post May 22nd, 2013 02:05 PM