KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Resident Evil VII

Resident Evil VII
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (17): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Resident Evil 7

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...aled-at-E3-2014

I hope to god Jake isn't the main character this time. I cannot stand him. Focus on 1-2 characters this time. Preferably someone whos been absent like Billy, Claire, or Rebecca (maybe Jill).

I wouldn't mind Leon though. You cant have too much Leon.

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 12:53 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

"the war ends now"?

lol. I remember when the series basically reached its plot conclusion in the 5th one.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 01:17 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Re: Resident Evil 7

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I wouldn't mind Leon though. You cant have too much Leon.

Actually you can. Not to mention Chris. Resident Evil has a pretty decent sized pool of characters and I would like if they brought back some of the more nostalgic this time around that aren't all Bruce Lee like Barry, Rebecca, or Claire.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Apr 22nd, 2014 at 01:37 AM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 01:35 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Lets hope its not so action oriented this time around, Yeah i'm dreaming there.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 03:55 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah. Six was just... Ugh. Can't even begin with how disappointed I was.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 03:59 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I still haven't finished 6

finished Leon's campaign and then i was working on Chris's and i don't know got sidetracked playing something better

Now Resident Evil Revelations, Now that one kills the 6th game in every department.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 04:00 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Agreed. Revelations was amazing.

Bring back Rebecca and/or Claire and make it terrifying.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 11:52 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Honestly? I liked six the best. Maybe it didn't faithfully recreate survival horror atmosphere, but it was a lot of fun, and it has a ton of replayability. I also, after getting over initial "this ain't true RE-itis", found Operation Raccoon City to be fun as well.

It could be that I'm no longer interested in spending hours navigating with shitty tank controls to find plugs and keys while pretending to be scared like I was 20 years ago.

I vote make Billy, Rebecca and Claire mains this time. Or just Claire. Even better would be a Mercs mode with all the major players over the years. The damn things were never canon anyways, so having a limited character pool always annoyed me.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 01:16 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

You found Operation Raccoon City fun?....your probably in the minority with that one

Originally posted by Stealth Moose

It could be that I'm no longer interested in spending hours navigating with shitty tank controls to find plugs and keys while pretending to be scared like I was 20 years ago.

Well they don't need to go that retro for the controls.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 01:37 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Kazenji
You found Operation Raccoon City fun?....your probably in the minority with that one

Well they don't need to go that retro for the controls.

I did. If you judge it on its own merits, it does pretty well. In any case, it's a dark, gritty game with four player co-op and versus, that has a lot of replayability. I can't complain with that. I also loved Outbreak and wish I had been able to get my hands on File #2.

As for the controls, I know. I'm simply being ridiculous for its own sake. I have a lot of good memories with RE; I've been with the series since nearly day one (certainly year one). But I'm changing with age, and with less gaming time per day and more friends, I appreciate games that let me accommodate both. I've spent 100+ hours in RE 6 (basically, playing it since launch); nearly as much in RE 5, and RE 4 half as much (unless you count Mercs). You could tally up playtime with all the other core games included (And even Gun Survivor/Outbreak) and it'd be less.

That's a huge investment, IMO.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 01:58 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I didn't mind RE6 as well. I liked it better than RE5.

My major disappointment was that the campaigns were not different enough. I like how they work together but I still felt the environments were re-used quite a bit.

I think I would rather have less content but make it much more memorable.

Overall, I enjoyed RE6. I only started to play the series at the 4th installment so I don't get all bent out of shape if it's not exactly like old versions.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 02:33 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I think I put more time into RE4 than RE5 and 6 combined. I played and beat professional mode 40+ times and did even more on normal difficulty. I unlocked everything many times over and enjoyed every playthrough. RE4 at the moment is my all time favorite game. 6 was fun, but a bit of a downgrade. 6 was even worse.

Revelations was a return to form, though needed the tighter controls, better graphics, and overall better presentation of a numbered release. The enemy designs could have been better too. Still, amazing game for the pacing and story.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 04:00 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

The Revelations PC port needed some work. Also, locking 99% of the levels in Horde mode unless you beat the story makes me want to rip a phonebook in half.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 04:06 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Honestly? I liked six the best. Maybe it didn't faithfully recreate survival horror atmosphere, but it was a lot of fun, and it has a ton of replayability. I also, after getting over initial "this ain't true RE-itis", found Operation Raccoon City to be fun as well.

I vote make Billy, Rebecca and Claire mains this time. Or just Claire. Even better would be a Mercs mode with all the major players over the years. The damn things were never canon anyways, so having a limited character pool always annoyed me.

Honestly, I don't agree.

As an action game, it doesn't really stand up to its peers, and the story is... ****ed, in short.

If you think it's a good game, more power to you, but I don't think anyone can realistically say that it was a really good Resident Evil game, even taking in to account the more action-oriented the series has become in recent years.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 04:24 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

RE5 > RE6.

6 wasn't a bad game, but it felt like I wasn't playing a Resident Evil game AT ALL, even on Ada's campaign.

I can only imagine what 7 will bring.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 08:15 PM
Impediment is online now! Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by -Pr-
Honestly, I don't agree.

As an action game, it doesn't really stand up to its peers, and the story is... ****ed, in short.

If you think it's a good game, more power to you, but I don't think anyone can realistically say that it was a really good Resident Evil game, even taking in to account the more action-oriented the series has become in recent years.

Uh, I can. Let's evaluate why:

Was RE 6 more fun to play than its predecessors? Y
Was RE 6's story bigger in scope than the previous games and built a foundation for future games? Y
Was RE 6 more comfortable to play? Y
Did RE 6 feature the best multi-player experience in the core series to date? Y
Did RE 6 include tons of mundane puzzles? N
Did RE 6 include horribad voice acting? Mostly N
Did RE 6 have tons of replayability? Y

Just saying. Unless there's some very specific benchmarks that make "real Resident Evil" which 6 lacked, I don't quite follow the crowd here. And I've again, been a huge fan since the beginning.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 08:31 PM
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Jake was all right in my book. A couple of cheesy lines, but lets face it everyone in RE has dozens of them. I like him more than most new characters introduced in other franchises.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 08:44 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Depends which predecessors you're talking about. If all of them, I call BS.

quote:

I will agree gameplay is a lot smoother.

quote:

Clearly you didn't play Outbreak.

quote:

Thank god for that at least.

quote:

To get some of those pain in the ass achievements that require to replay the first three stories more than a dozen times, indeed.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 08:53 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Uh, I can. Let's evaluate why:

Was RE 6's story bigger in scope than the previous games and built a foundation for future games? Y
Did RE 6 include horribad voice acting? Mostly N

Just saying. Unless there's some very specific benchmarks that make "real Resident Evil" which 6 lacked, I don't quite follow the crowd here. And I've again, been a huge fan since the beginning.
I disagree too. A lot of your questions boil down to personal opinion.

Was RE 6 more fun to play than its predecessors?
No, it got stale pretty quickly.

Was RE 6's story bigger in scope than the previous games and built a foundation for future games?
Yes. Bigger in scope doesn't equal better story though. RE has never had an award winning story, but RE6 was new levels of low.

Was RE 6 more comfortable to play?
Agreed on this. Easier to play, but I felt RE5 felt tighter. Something about RE6 just came off as sloppy.

Did RE 6 feature the best multi-player experience in the core series to date?
The multiplayer was lame, with the exception of normal mercs which was the dead same as the previous two games.

Did RE 6 include tons of mundane puzzles?
No, not tons. It did have puzzles though. Stupid, easy puzzles that really had no place in the game. If your going to do puzzles, do it right.

Did RE 6 include horribad voice acting?
No, but neither did 5. RE4 voice acting was fine too, except for the occasional cheesy line.

Did RE 6 have tons of replayability?
I actually disagree. After playing through on the hardest difficulty, there wasn't much point besides achievements and pointless collectables. The gameplay was already pretty boring after the first playthrough.

RE6 has the lowest collective reviews of any game in the entire series. Theres a reason for that. Its fine if you prefer it to the rest of the games, but don't try to pass it off as better than the rest when it was clearly the worst in the series.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 09:05 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Originally posted by Nemesis X
Depends which predecessors you're talking about. If all of them, I call BS.

I can be excited about firing up RE 6, even if it's just to do a few Merc rounds or play co-op with friends. I haven't touched RE 5 except to benchmark in a year, and RE 4 even longer. I haven't touched RE 1/CV in years as well, even though I have readily available copies of each. They just don't have the fun value outside of the initial impact.

quote:
I will agree gameplay is a lot smoother.

Absolutely.

quote:
Clearly you didn't play Outbreak.

Reading is your friend. I have played Outbreak 1 but not 2. In any case, that's irrelevant; MP has been effectively disabled on both games for years. They also lacked VO support.

quote:
Thank god for that at least.

thumb up

quote:
To get some of those pain in the ass achievements that require to replay the first three stories more than a dozen times, indeed.

Ignoring the serpent emblems (which I didn't bother to get all of), I can't say I have replayed the entire campaign more than twice in total and gotten pretty much all of the non-Mercs/Versus achievements.

Maybe ur doin it wrong bro.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I disagree too. A lot of your questions boil down to personal opinion.

Everything does. But at least my opinion is bringing up something more concrete than "I don't think it's a good RE game cuz I don't"; I'm pointing out ways in which it surpasses the previous titles, something a lot of fans want to ignore because it "isn't survival horror anymore".

quote:
Was RE 6 more fun to play than its predecessors?
No, it got stale pretty quickly.

Disagreed. As I said, much more replay value than any title beforehand. Outbreak would get an exception, if it was still playable anymore.

quote:
Was RE 6's story bigger in scope than the previous games and built a foundation for future games?
Yes. Bigger in scope doesn't equal better story though. RE has never had an award winning story, but RE6 was new levels of low.

I'm not sure I can agree with this at all. Overall, the story was entertaining, the characters were likable, and the action was intense. RE has been a B-movie horror plot since 1996; if anything, the production values and dramatic impact of RE 6 eclipse previous titles quite a bit. RE 5 is the only one that comes close, and let's face it - that story was boring as hell once you found out Wesker was alive.

quote:
Was RE 6 more comfortable to play?
Agreed on this. Easier to play, but I felt RE5 felt tighter. Something about RE6 just came off as sloppy.

I can't say the same. I can execute a great deal of moves, respond more fluidly, and do a bit more with 6. Perhaps you never overcame the initial learning curve.

quote:
Did RE 6 feature the best multi-player experience in the core series to date?
The multiplayer was lame, with the exception of normal mercs which was the dead same as the previous two games.

Erm, no. The campaign was much better fleshed out. More variety in action, less gritty Black Hawk Down nonsense from RE5. Mercs and Versus have a lot of variety, from free for all, slayers, point races, Ustanek mode, etc. It's like comparing the multiplayer of Goldeneye to Timesplitters III. I don't even see how you could so readily write it off as "dead same" when it's not.

quote:
Did RE 6 include tons of mundane puzzles?
No, not tons. It did have puzzles though. Stupid, easy puzzles that really had no place in the game. If your going to do puzzles, do it right.

Item fetching doesn't quite count as puzzles. I'm not anti-puzzle, but I am anti-stupid puzzles.

quote:
Did RE 6 include horribad voice acting?
No, but neither did 5. RE4 voice acting was fine too, except for the occasional cheesy line.

RE 4 was pretty painful in hindsight.

quote:
Did RE 6 have tons of replayability?
I actually disagree. After playing through on the hardest difficulty, there wasn't much point besides achievements and pointless collectables. The gameplay was already pretty boring after the first playthrough.

K.

quote:
RE6 has the lowest collective reviews of any game in the entire series. Theres a reason for that.

"It's not survival horror"?

I didn't realize the initial impressions of the majority were indicative of a product's merits. If that is indeed the case, many cult classics outright suck because they were panned initially.

quote:
Its fine if you prefer it to the rest of the games, but don't try to pass it off as better than the rest when it was clearly the worst in the series.

Better overall = a little stretching it.

More fun and enjoyable with longevity and playing depth beyond the other titles = absolutely.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 09:34 PM