KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Do video games suck now?

Do video games suck now?
Started by: Nusa105

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dante158
The Soul Stealer

Do video games suck now?

Title says it all. Discuss wink

Last edited by Impediment on Dec 1st, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 09:35 AM
Dante158 is currently offline Click here to Send Dante158 a Private Message Find more posts by Dante158 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

No

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 10:15 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Lolwut. This is the best time to be a gamer in almost all of time. (Though I wouldn't mind being a gamer in the mid-80s to early 90s)

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 12:54 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Asked that question last year and it would've been a maybe.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 01:15 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

Nahhhh

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 01:21 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

You suck. /thread

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 02:53 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

Yes fallout, the elder scrolls, call of duty, battlefield, Rage, Super smash bros Etc they all suck

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 02:58 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Doesn't anybody remember the past?

In the winter season, we usually get a great game released every week or so.

Years ago, we might of gotten a great game once every 3 months or so. We all remember the classics but we don't remember the massive amount of shit games that were released. I remember getting my first expensive computer and Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were released on it. That was basically it. Now, in the span of 3 months, we have gotten MGS5, Fallout 4, Battlefront 3, Starcraft 2 Protoss campaign and some others for the PC. This doesn't include Witcher 3, Rainbow Six Siege, Just Cause 3 and etc.... that haven't been released or were released earlier this year. This doesn't include all the little smaller games that would never of been released 10 years ago like Soma and etc.

In the end, gaming is much better than before. If you believe it isn't, your swimming in nostalgia.

I would only say it's harder to be surprised by games like we used to be.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 03:37 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Doesn't anybody remember the past?

In the winter season, we usually get a great game released every week or so.

Years ago, we might of gotten a great game once every 3 months or so. We all remember the classics but we don't remember the massive amount of shit games that were released. I remember getting my first expensive computer and Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were released on it. That was basically it. Now, in the span of 3 months, we have gotten MGS5, Fallout 4, Battlefront 3, Starcraft 2 Protoss campaign and some others for the PC. This doesn't include Witcher 3, Rainbow Six Siege, Just Cause 3 and etc.... that haven't been released or were released earlier this year. This doesn't include all the little smaller games that would never of been released 10 years ago like Soma and etc.

In the end, gaming is much better than before. If you believe it isn't, your swimming in nostalgia.

I would only say it's harder to be surprised by games like we used to be.

E.t. The game > fallout 4

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 03:42 PM
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Niche > mainstream!!3

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 03:47 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

No.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 04:04 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Ya sure about that quan, after what MKX did to you?

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 04:27 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Except niche wasn't around back then in sufficient quantities.

Niche is booming now due to Kickstart, Early Access, and other ways for developers with no money to make games for money.

Before, most niche products were mods that were developed from major releases. And let's not forget about online distribution where people can independently release games without going through a major publisher.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 04:29 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, to be fair, there was a heck of a lot of niche back in the 8-bit era when I was getting into gaming. In fact it was almost all niche. The original Elite was written by two guys. Costs were so low, publishers dumped games onto the market by the dozen, some costing as little as £1- anyone could get in.

But- yeah, gaming is much better today. With the talented amateur able to get a look in again we're getting towards a best of both worlds vibe.

Which is not to say I think all of gaming today has come in the right direction- development times are insanely bloated and major resources go towards a lot of formulaic stuff. But generally, there's enough choice now to satisfy everyone.

-

That said- when I first got a PC, it came with Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Ultima Underworld and Wing Commander II. I got TIE Fighter two months later and Wing Commander 3 a few months after that. That was probably the single best concentrated gaming time for me.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Nov 30th, 2015 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 04:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

On the one hand, machines are the most powerful they've ever been. Games can do things that most of us probably never thought possible when we were growing up with our Amigas, our Snes's and the like. There's an absolutely massive amount of games out there, and with things like Steam and Origin, you never have to leave your house if you want to buy your favourite games.

On the other, games companies are the greediest they've ever been. Microtransactions and day-one dlc are terms everyone is sadly familiar with, and it honestly worries that the market can only take so much before it crashes, at least in part.

So yes and no, would be my answer.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 01:22 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Yep, greed ruins everything.

Even indie games have turned into a warped "startup culture" reflection, with the hunt for the next Minecraft being paramount. Kickstarter abuse running rampant, half baked ideas like Strike Suit Zero cobbled together from parts of far greater games, and then re-released in a suckers "Definitive edition"..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 01:35 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Said greed was what fittingly led to the Atari's eventual failure and the crash of pretty much video games as a whole till the NES or so. Kinda begs the question if another crash should happen... Though it prolly won't happen, I would not mind if the game industry was forced to reassess itself again.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 01:47 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Crashes could happen if companies invest heavy cash and their games get sold too cheap, or if the amount of games was so big that almost no single release could get it's money back. Those scenarios could happen eventually, but right now there are still many that buy their games at a full price tag.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 06:08 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
Crashes could happen if companies invest heavy cash and their games get sold too cheap, or if the amount of games was so big that almost no single release could get it's money back. Those scenarios could happen eventually, but right now there are still many that buy their games at a full price tag.

Some games that have been released, I seriously think they should price them based on the content that your getting with the game

take Metal gear solid v ground zeroes for example, that one should've been $30 not $70/80 & going by what i've seen of the recent Star Wars: Battlefront game, That one should be $50 not $100

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 07:26 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Either way, we're the ones that lose out. Look at how many companies have either died, been absorbed, or have frankly turned to shit.

Then you have companies that want to make COD money, and if they don't the game is considered a failure even when it sells well (looking at you, Square Enix).

And franchises that have been sold down the river. Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid etc, all operating below expectations, some more than others.

Then you have the Ubisofts of the world. The less said about them, the better.

At least we still have people like CDPR and Bethesda who do whatever the **** they like.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Last edited by -Pr- on Dec 1st, 2015 at 08:02 AM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 07:57 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote