KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Steam Goes Nuts. Offers access to other ppl's accounts.

Steam Goes Nuts. Offers access to other ppl's accounts.
Started by: Nibedicus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Steam Goes Nuts. Offers access to other ppl's accounts.

http://kotaku.com/steam-goes-nuts-o...ount-1749718979

Steam faced something of a catastrophe this afternoon, giving players across the world access to some of the personal information in other people’s accounts. It’s not yet clear how this happened, but it’s a doozy. Call it the Steam Winter Fail.

Various players across the world logged into their Steam clients today to find their homepage displaying Russian or another random language. When they checked the “account info” section of Steam, the digital store showed them another user’s account, complete with e-mail addresses, buying history, and other private information. Merry Christmas!

UPDATE (4:30pm): Valve has shut down the Steam store, presumably until they fix this problem.

UPDATE 2 (6:05pm): Looks like the Steam store is back online. I’ve been able to log in and my information is all correct now. Still no official word from Valve, which is a bit disconcerting. The fan-run SteamDB theorizes that this was “a misconfiguration in one of Valve’s caching layers.”

UPDATE 3 (8:25pm): Valve has finally commented on today’s events, sending a statement to Kotaku this evening:

Steam is back up and running without any known issues. As a result of a configuration change earlier today, a caching issue allowed some users to randomly see pages generated for other users for a period of less than an hour. This issue has since been resolved. We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users.
Original article follows:

Going to Steam’s website would also grant you access to a random user’s account. Based on some rudimentary testing I did this afternoon on my own Steam client, it seemed like trying to view purchase histories and licenses would give you access to other random accounts as well.

Steam Goes Nuts, Offers Access To Other People's Accounts [UPDATES]

The account that my client accessed was using Steam Guard, the tool Valve provides to help prevent unauthorized account access. So clearly that hasn’t helped.

We’ve reached out to Valve for more information and will keep updating you guys as we learn more.

You can reach the author of this post at [email protected] or on Twitter at @jasonschreier.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 05:00 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I haven't run into any trouble with the Steam Client.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 05:03 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Well, my newphew recently lost all his steam credits (about 100USD) as well as around 200USD of DoTA2 stuff on his account. Did a little research to see what's up and ran into this. Mostly due to the fact that he had lousy security practices that might have allowed someone that saw his account details to breach his steam account directly and take his stuff. I dunno. Hoping my account isnt effed up as I'm out of town and can't check my PC (posting on Ipad atm.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 05:13 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I can only do the Steam Guard thing with the PC, The Smartphone way that it suggest's is useless for me since i don't own one of those types.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 05:21 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Can they like, permanently delete games and shit?

Like as if you never bought them? I had a lot of time put into various games like Chivalry and Jedi Academy.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 06:34 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

My nephew's account was all cash/item theft. Old game purchases and cloud saves were all untouched. Just sucked that he lost quite a bit of stuff. Emailed steam and hoping they at least manage to return his stuff to him.

And from what I'm reading the glitch doesn't actually give ppl direct access to your stuff, just access to your information. I think my nephew's loss had as much to do with his horrid security practices as it was the steam glitch. Would actually believe that it had nothing to do with steam glitch were it not for the timing.

Last edited by Nibedicus on Dec 26th, 2015 at 08:22 AM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 08:17 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Yeah. It was more a case of them allowing you access to any information you had in your account, rather than them being able to directly manipulate it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 07:34 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yep. It's was a caching issue. They could see but they couldn't actually access anything.

It's basically finding somebodies address but it's locked. Still sucks but I don't think it's a bad as people say it is.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 12:17 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nibedicus
My nephew's account was all cash/item theft. Old game purchases and cloud saves were all untouched. Just sucked that he lost quite a bit of stuff. Emailed steam and hoping they at least manage to return his stuff to him.

And from what I'm reading the glitch doesn't actually give ppl direct access to your stuff, just access to your information. I think my nephew's loss had as much to do with his horrid security practices as it was the steam glitch. Would actually believe that it had nothing to do with steam glitch were it not for the timing.

If the information people were given access to would of told someone about his lack of security then I would think Steam is partially responsible.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 09:38 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote