KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Patches & DLC

Patches & DLC
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Patches & DLC

Patches, while they fix stuff, are annoying, especially on previous gen consoles like PS3 & Xbox 360.

Why is this?

Well, if you're a game collector, or just refuse to get rid of any game you own, and considering a PS3/Xbox 360 won't last you too many years, you'll be going through systems, and formats.

What does this mean? Well, tons of patches and DLC that has to be re-downloaded, which is especially a problem depending on how much games and DLC you have.

This may not be an error for some of us, but it makes you miss the days of memory cards and no patches. When devs got one chance to get everything right.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:11 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

There has always been patches for games especially for PC gaming and now Console's have gotten in on the act

Some game need the patches, But its shit that we get these days broken games on launch...looking at you Ubisoft.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:19 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
There has always been patches for games especially for PC gaming and now Console's have gotten in on the act

Some game need the patches, But its shit that we get these days broken games on launch...looking at you Ubisoft.
In the PS2 Era, no game had patches, the game was either good, or it wasn't.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:23 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I know

and when there was a problem with a game they just re-release it, I remember that happening with Soul Caliber 3.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2016 07:31 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The problem with patches is sometimes they don't fix all the bugs. That is at least one benefit of PC games. You can have "unofficial" patches made by fans where they fixed a lot of bugs the official patch did not.

Every Elder Scrolls game I've played, from Morrowind to Skyrim has had an unofficial fan made patch. In Morrowind there were *thousands* of bugs still after the official patches.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 11:29 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

While it sucks that games need patches, I don't think anybody wants to go back to the old days were a game was what it was.

For example, Witcher 3 and it's crazy small inventory font characters would of been like that forever. Because of a patch, it's much better.

I think the idea that games back in the day were perfect pieces of software is ****ing crazy. A lot of games had problems, even the "supposed" good ones. Also, trying to compare a game released today to before is a bit wishful thinking. Today's videogames are entirely more complex than before and it wasn't for patches, a lot of great games would of been less.

I'm happy for patches. They add and fix issues that developers didn't believe would be problems.

**** memory cards. And **** the idea that it be better of developers only had one chance to get it right. You would be losing out great games and great developers who went belly up because their first game was buggy.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2016 11:45 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah I am happy at least in this day and age you can get patches for console games. Back in the day if a game had a bug that was that.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2016 02:12 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Surtur
Yeah I am happy at least in this day and age you can get patches for console games. Back in the day if a game had a bug that was that.

My copy of The Suffering for the PS2... i can't even finish the ****en game because of a certain spot in the game freezes up and once that happen's it stuffs the save up.

Last edited by Kazenji on Feb 7th, 2016 at 04:37 AM

Old Post Feb 7th, 2016 04:24 AM
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Smasandian
While it sucks that games need patches, I don't think anybody wants to go back to the old days were a game was what it was.

For example, Witcher 3 and it's crazy small inventory font characters would of been like that forever. Because of a patch, it's much better.

I think the idea that games back in the day were perfect pieces of software is ****ing crazy. A lot of games had problems, even the "supposed" good ones. Also, trying to compare a game released today to before is a bit wishful thinking. Today's videogames are entirely more complex than before and it wasn't for patches, a lot of great games would of been less.

I'm happy for patches. They add and fix issues that developers didn't believe would be problems.

**** memory cards. And **** the idea that it be better of developers only had one chance to get it right. You would be losing out great games and great developers who went belly up because their first game was buggy.
Yeah, but it sucks for the people who lose systems and then have to realize that years of gameplay went down the toilet because of something they couldn't control, and internal storage.

Memory on a ps2 could potentially be timeless because of the memory cards.

Like, my ps2 breaks, no big deal, still got my games, and my memory cards, no memory lost, nothing to patch.

PS3 breaks "WTF, all that work on all those RPG's just because I didn't buy PS Plus!! I have to re-patch my 30 physical games!! I have to re-download HUNDREDS of DLC one-by-one off the store!!! All my saved data for every game I've played, six years, so much work, down the toilet!! **** Sony!!"

You should really only comment if you've lost a PS3, its really only for people who have PS3's without PS Plus, and have had them bricked.

And while I'm apparently the only one on the site thats had that happen, it really DOES suck.

Old Post Feb 7th, 2016 02:36 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Even if the PS3 "breaks", the hard drive might still be salvageable. Assuming you haven't done a backup, of course.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 7th, 2016 03:30 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by -Pr-
Even if the PS3 "breaks", the hard drive might still be salvageable. Assuming you haven't done a backup, of course.
The Hard Drive is salvageable.

That being said, it isn't getting fixed without all the memory being deleted, why would I wanna continue using a burnt out hard drive that only works for a few months and then stops?

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 08:10 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I meant salvageable in terms of getting all of the data off of it and transferring it to another drive.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 08:38 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by -Pr-
I meant salvageable in terms of getting all of the data off of it and transferring it to another drive.

The data on it is still corrupted, and it wasn't like it was a normal game save error. It was a system update error.

Transferring it to a different drive will get the new drive wiped.

If any data is found on the first start-up of a PS3 system, all data will be wiped.

Same situation if you tried to move your old hard drive to your new PS3.

They really do force you to buy that Playstation Plus.

Its especially hard in non-linear games like GTA V, Dark Souls, Skyrim, and Dragon's Dogma.

You forget how to do everything and where to go to get everything.

It REALLY sucks if you're a completionist.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 09:22 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Ah. that sucks @ data corruption. I've transferred stuff between drives before, so I had to ask.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 09:39 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Losing data sucks but it happened no matter if there was a hard drive or a memory stick.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 12:32 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Losing data sucks but it happened no matter if there was a hard drive or a memory stick.
Its almost guaranteed not to happen on the PS4 or Vita though.

All the updates are in the background, even saving can be done in-game and you can come back to it like a minute later.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 01:50 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Anything can happen. You lost data because your PS3 bricked. You can lose data multiple different ways including a ruined HDD.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 02:26 PM
Jmanghan

Anything can happen. You lost data because your PS3 bricked. You can lose data multiple different ways including a ruined HDD.
My ps3 bricked because it froze up during a system update, before that it shut down while I was installing data for L.A. Noire.

Before that, it froze during a patch for DragonBall Xenoverse (Yes, on the PS3).

Its impossible to work around these.

Unless you have a PS4 or Vita.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2016 10:01 PM