KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Total War: Warhammer

Total War: Warhammer
Started by: CPT Space Bomb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Total War: Warhammer

Horrible title from Creative Assembly...should have been called "Total Warhammer"....but anyway. I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3o...eature=youtu.be

If you buy it within the first week you get the Chaos Warriors pack for free. Even if you don't they're still a part of the campaign (as an enemy). The 4 starter factions are the Empire, The Greenskins, the Vampire Counts (undead) and the Dwarfs. Each faction plays differently (to be expected but still nice) and I gotta say; I've never been a Total War guy but THIS is f'ng brilliant. The graphics are great and watching 1,000+ troups collide with another army the same size is something to behold. The sound design is fantastic as well. It's too bad that on release there is no blood though.....odd for a Warhammer game especially. ANYWAY, if you like fantasy and you like strategy this really is a no brainer. I'm losing sleep playing this thing; the campaign is horribly addictive...but that's a good thing....right?

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Last edited by CPT Space Bomb on May 25th, 2016 at 01:18 PM

Old Post May 25th, 2016 01:12 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

The no blood thing is probably to get a T release, they'll release a blood and gore dlc later, Creative Assembly did this with Rome 2 and Attila as well.

This is also probably the best Total War launch ever so there's that.

Howdy!

Old Post May 26th, 2016 12:15 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Is it?

That's cool. I might pick it up during the Steam Summer Sale if it goes down in price.

I wonder what Creative Assembly does next....maybe a remake of Medieval or something new. I always thought they should do something from 20th Century. Maybe the entire 20th Century...that would be cool.

Old Post May 26th, 2016 02:29 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
Is it?

That's cool. I might pick it up during the Steam Summer Sale if it goes down in price.

I wonder what Creative Assembly does next....maybe a remake of Medieval or something new. I always thought they should do something from 20th Century. Maybe the entire 20th Century...that would be cool.

It's definitely a GREAT game. My god, My dwarf army is simply a joy to behold.

As far as what they're doing next? Well, unless they split their teams up I know they have a 10 year plan for "Total Warhammer". There is supposed to be 3 standalone campaigns and dlc for each. A futuristic total war would be what I'd love to see after Warhammer tbh.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post May 26th, 2016 10:34 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think Creative Assembly has multiple teams. They are working on Halo Wars 2 at the moment so I'm assuming they have different teams.

I cannot see CA doing Warhammer games for the next 10 years....

Old Post May 26th, 2016 10:55 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

I cannot see CA doing Warhammer games for the next 10 years....
Oh, they definitely are. It's been confirmed that Total War: Warhammer is going to be a 10 year plan. That is unless the first one bombs but since it's gotten amazing reviews and seems to be selling really well I doubt that's going to happen.

But yah, not a big fan of ten year plans myself. But if they keep making great games I'm okay with that. I want to play the High Elves, Dark Elves, skaven, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, etc.

Old Post May 27th, 2016 12:16 PM
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

So, I finished my Dwarf campaign. It was awesome. Still, the grudge mechanics made the "Long Campaign" victory REALLY long. It took me like 300 turns to win. But I had fun doing it.

Currently working on the Empire. Definitely a little rougher at the start due to being surrounded at the start with lots of hostile factions. Still, there is nothing quite like watching your cavalry charge into a horde of Zombies and just watching the rampant destruction. I mean, this game is f'ng gorgeous.

Old Post May 28th, 2016 08:22 PM
FinalAnswer
Flower

Is it?

I don't think Total War would work well in the 20th century, the entire gameplay is based on line, pitched warfare, which is virtually gone by then and has transfromed into squad-based combat.

On the other hand, a Victorian era Total War would be fantastic, given just how great the gameplay in Fall of the Samurai was.

Howdy!

Old Post May 29th, 2016 03:12 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Haven't quite gotten tired of Marvel Heroes yet but all the talk here got me curious.

Bought it via steam. Downloading now. I am a Total War noob.

Any tips? big grin

Old Post May 29th, 2016 05:27 AM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Haven't quite gotten tired of Marvel Heroes yet but all the talk here got me curious.

Bought it via steam. Downloading now. I am a Total War noob.

Any tips? big grin
Yah. Don't build buildings that need to upgrade past 3 on minor settlements. Instead build Gates on every minor settlement and buildings that gain public favor and money. When you collect all the settlements in a Province it allows you to initiate a "commandment". This will act as a buff to give you more public order, money gain, and other buffs. Also, in order for you to recruit a unit you just need to have the building associated with it in the PROVINCE; not the settlement. So don't build a barracks at every settlement.

Also, in the early game you should probably focus on only having one army, as the upkeep costs are ENORMOUS for multiple armies. That being said, I'd recommend 1 MAX army (20/20 available slots) as opposed to 2 middling armies.

There are tons of other tips I could give; my advice is start with the Dwarfs like I did. I'm a nub to Total War as well but I LOVE this game. Dwarfs are the easiest faction to get a hang of due to them being in the mountains and kind of sheltered from Chaos for quite some time.

Old Post May 30th, 2016 01:55 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

T_T

I played humans and I feel like I might have to restart.

Yeah, I just hit a point where like every single settlement is being attacked by strange chaos heroes that I can't seem to attack or get rid of. And they're driving my chaos taint way up (bastards!).

Any tips on that?

Old Post May 30th, 2016 03:15 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Yah, unfortunately the only way to kill hero units is by using hero units. The best Empire heroes for killing other heroes are the Witch Hunters. You can spec them to get really high percentages to kill other heroes and even lords. I definitely recommend having at least one hero (Warrior Priest, Witch Hunter, Bright Wizard, Empire Captain, Light Wizard etc...) attached to your armies. They'll gain exp in battle and they are a force to be reckoned with.

You can also Deploy (activate) heroes in provinces which can help you or harm your enemy. I used a hero to quell the chaos and vampiric corruption in one province for instance. Hope that helps.

Old Post May 30th, 2016 03:59 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Damn, wish they had all that in the tutorial. Lol.

Gonna restart and hope thongs turn out better this time around. smile

Thanks man!

Old Post May 30th, 2016 04:33 PM
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

thumb up No problem.

Also, do NOT be afraid to use Karl Franz in battle; the guy is a beast. Same with your heroes. They are very tanky and can dish out really good damage.

One more tip too...you'll eventually get quest chains that lead to legendary gear for your 2 legendary heroes (Karl Franz and Balthasar Gelt). For the quests, you'll be able to teleport to them if you have 5k gold and are not in a stance. So if you see a quest marker halfway across the map, the 5k gold lets you teleport "There and back again". Cheers!

Old Post May 30th, 2016 05:33 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Damn it, I suck at Total War. Lol. It seems auto resolve almost always gets better results than me doing the actual battle. Lol.

Too much MMO-ing has made me soft. T_T

Old Post May 31st, 2016 07:58 PM
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Originally posted by Nibedicus
Damn it, I suck at Total War. Lol. It seems auto resolve almost always gets better results than me doing the actual battle. Lol.

Too much MMO-ing has made me soft. T_T
Well, you get better at it. Some tips to help you out.

Upgrade your troops when you can. Your "Main" force should probably have very early game units if possible. The stronger your units are the better they'll do. That being said there is still a place for shield wielding units no matter how scrubby. Empire Swordsmen for example can augment your army even if you have Greatsword units unlocked. Sure, the Greatswords will do WAY more damage but they won't soak it quite as well. I find that 3-4 Greatsword units is good, with 2-4 Swordsmen units. That being said I'd probably only use Handgunners for your ranged option and Demigriph Knights and Rieksguard for your cavalry.

Also, when you're making your melee line in the front, make sure it's at least 4 rows deep. Don't spread it too then in favor of width because it can then be charged through by cavalry and other special units. But yah, always have a line to put your archers/artillery behind and make sure you have your flanks covered. Spearmen on the sides are great because they can really fk up cavalry trying to flank you. And yah, make sure you have at LEAST 2 cav units. You'll need them to catch archers and artillery when needed. Just keep practicing man, you'll get it. Don't be afraid to use the slo-mo and pause buttons during a battle if you're feeling overwhelmed. It can give you some breathing room and give you time to think about the next commands you want to give.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2016 12:21 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Finally finished empire campaign on normal. Man, those steam tanks and griff riders are beastly. Basically tear stuff up.

Lol conquered like 90% of the human-usable map til I realized I only needed one more military alliance to finish the game (the one nearest my capital, too). Was making like 55k (10k per turn if minus unit expenses) per turn by then. Like turn 300 or 400 IIRC.

Ending in the campaign is a bit anti-cilmactic but awesome game overall.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 11:21 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Does the game have something similar to Shogun 2 Realm Divide?

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 01:28 PM
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Does the game have something similar to Shogun 2 Realm Divide?
I'm a Total War nub, TW:W is the first and only Total War I've played. I tried Rome 2 but didn't like it.

So I'm not sure if it's similar to Shogun 2 or not. But it's definitely worth checking out imo.

To me this game is freaking amazing because I love the Warhammer fantasy lore/artstyle; and the gameplay is really fun. Only real bummer is that there is only 5 factions to play at launch. That said they're going to have 16 when it's all said and done.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 03:10 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Wish the campaign was longer. Way too short and once you have a power army, basically steamroll thru anything unless it becomes 2v1. Gonna try the higher difficulty now. A little intimidated but I'm gonna go for it.

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2016 05:37 PM