KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Streets of Rage 4

Streets of Rage 4
Started by: Ridley_Prime

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Streets of Rage 4

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...g/1100-6461404/

**** yeah! A good day for fans of the beat 'em up genre.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2018 09:45 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Didn't talk about this too much for the longest time since the release date and other details were up in the air for awhile, but it just launched today which I'll be getting soon. The character trailer shorts and things that were shown beforehand were pretty good, and game has gotten decent reviews so far.

Is up to four players offline, while two player online. Some are disappointed with the latter part, but with how out of touch games of this genre have been when it comes to online for the most part, I'll take what I can get. Couch co-op was how these type of games were born anyway.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 02:48 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'll be checking out the 4th game, I was a SEGA kid back in the day.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 03:29 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

We already had 4. Fighting Force. smile

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 12:41 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

Didn't talk about this too much for the longest time since the release date and other details were up in the air for awhile, but it just launched today which I'll be getting soon. The character trailer shorts and things that were shown beforehand were pretty good, and game has gotten decent reviews so far.

Is up to four players offline, while two player online. Some are disappointed with the latter part, but with how out of touch games of this genre have been when it comes to online for the most part, I'll take what I can get. Couch co-op was how these type of games were born anyway.

The 4 player offlines a little disappointing, yeah.

Not sure if there's ways around that. I know there's "virtual LAN" programs, but for that you need LAN capability.

It's still great getting an official SoR game at all. The only thing the communities had to fill that gap is the OpenBor fan games, based off the Beats of Rage parody.

Some of the games that came out for that are really good too (Look up Legend of the Double Dragon, OpenBor).

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 12:54 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

In depth review from my buddy Sega Lord X.

He's the real deal, Sega runs in his blood. Very informative on gameplay naunces too.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 01:10 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Found this on MS Xbox Game Pass. I played the first two levels...its a neat distraction.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 01:45 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Worth the 24 dollars?

Old Post May 1st, 2020 05:22 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

With all there is to do and unlock, I would say so. The unlockable characters even include the SoR 1, 2, and 3 versions of everyone, down to the original sprites and everything, on top of the solid cast there already is in this game.

Streets of Rage 2 was my first experience with the series, but this is like a glorious homecoming, considering. Other throwbacks too like the hidden retro levels.

Old Post May 3rd, 2020 11:45 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Been reading if you buy it from GOG, It hasn't got a lot of the online options which the Steam version has which is strange.

Old Post May 4th, 2020 02:21 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So is the famous Streets of Rage Remake essentially gone from official channels?

I read it got stopped, and then allowed to be put up on a Streets of Rages fan site.

I mean, I have all three Streets games plus a translation of Bare Knuckle 3, but I'm interested in comparing the fan work with the official 4.

Honestly, if they were a little bit smarter, the thing to do would have been to approach the creators about officially packaging a "completed" version, exclusive only if you buy SOR4, as a nice fan community easter egg.

Old Post May 4th, 2020 10:56 PM
cdtm

Looks like its still available on Archive.org.

Like I said, I own all three SoR, so its not like I'm looking to pirate the thing. Just interested in how good the fan game is compared to the classics and the new kid on the block.

Old Post May 4th, 2020 11:38 PM
cdtm

Wow.

https://mashable.com/article/streets-of-rage-4-review/

This might be the worst review I've ever seen.

"No checkpoints". That's like complaining about a tactical shooter not having a health bar.

Old Post May 5th, 2020 12:55 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Yeah, that’s how you know when some reviewers are just completely out of their element. lol

Old Post May 5th, 2020 04:07 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

And when they do make a game too easy they still complain about it.

Old Post May 6th, 2020 04:30 AM
cdtm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfzM9HojpMY

Played this back in the day. It was alright, but kind of glad it was never the fourth SoR.

Old Post May 10th, 2020 09:43 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I reading up how much they screwed up the western release of Streets of Rage 3

playing the game on Normal was harder then the Hard difficulty in Japan among other things.

Old Post May 11th, 2020 12:36 AM
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kazenji
I reading up how much they screwed up the western release of Streets of Rage 3

playing the game on Normal was harder then the Hard difficulty in Japan among other things.

Yeah, that's why I play a fan translated Bare Knuckle 3. It really ****ed the game up, because of how they locked the true ending behind normal mode, meaning you couldn't even get around the problem with the easy difficulty.

Only thing for it back in the day was cheats, or maining Shiva after you unlocked him.

Old Post May 11th, 2020 02:32 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Didn't that happen a lot with some of the 8 bit/16 bit games? The difficulty level for the American release was Japan's hard level?

I have a vague memory that other games did this as well.

Old Post May 11th, 2020 11:39 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Dynamite Headdy did for sure. You can't take as many hits in the US release, and things that couldn't hurt you like effects during certain attacks suddenly became deadly.

I don't think it's nearly as unmanageable as Streets of Rage 3 though.

There was also palate changes, like a pink cat boss being changed brown. It also cut the story entirely. Japanese version had bosses talking to Headdy, which was scrubbed from the localizations for some reason.

Personally, I like the US game, which I got with the Steam Sega Genesis and Megadrive collection, but I have a fan translation for the Japanese version as well Absolutely legal too, Steam and a Sega worked out a deal where "mods" can be downloaded from Steamworks. And of course the only way to mod a rom is to "hack" it. It's a neat feature, but my god, the sheer amount of abuse is unbelievable. "Oh look, here's a mod for Streets of Rage! It's called...... Micky Mouse Castle of Illusion? And here's one for Streets if Rage 2 called Contra Hard Corps."

Steams pretty much given up trying to clean that stuff out, so if you ever wanted to play pirated games from within an authorized Steam launched program, you can do that.

Old Post May 11th, 2020 12:28 PM