KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Lego LOTR and Lego The Hobbit removed from digital stores

Lego LOTR and Lego The Hobbit removed from digital stores
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jmanghan

Lego LOTR and Lego The Hobbit removed from digital stores

How do ya'll feel about this? Pretty big bummer for people who haven't had the chance to buy it, especially if they're pc gamers.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 02:06 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

One of the downside's to digital gaming.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 02:34 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Must be why it was given away at Humble Store. Glad I got my copy.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 03:02 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

People thought it might have been because of the Dialogue and music from the movies. Isn't the case because those Middle-earth are still available.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 03:07 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

It's a shame, what little I've played of Lego LOTR seems brilliant.

It makes me want to watch the movies, or read the books. smile

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 03:58 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So, maybe this is a good time to buy up physical copies?

If you're a scumbag reseller?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2019 06:34 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I always try to buy physical if possible.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2019 01:14 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm not sure what the problem is.

If it's being removed from digital stores (most likely because of licensing issues) then its being removed from physical stores as well.

So....this isn't an digital store issue.

Also, you are still allowed to download it if you bought the game.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2019 01:59 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

If they're in your library, sure. The free Humble Store keys expired awhile ago, not sure about other unused Steam keys, but would assume it should be valid.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2019 02:09 PM
cdtm

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...bit-game-theft/

Interesting:

quote:
Hi All

LEGO Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit have been removed from our store as of 1/1/2018. This was done as the license between the publisher and the content license holders has expired.

If you own this game on GeForce NOW, you should be able to continue to play it. If you do not own it, you will no longer be able to purchase it.

If you are having problems playing it and own it, please send me a PM

Posted 01/03/2018 09:39 PM

It appears the license expired at the start of last year. Seems they're only just getting around to auditing sites about selling it.

That would explain why there's no statement, it's a bit of an embarrassment for all involved.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 6th, 2019 at 02:40 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2019 02:25 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
If they're in your library, sure. The free Humble Store keys expired awhile ago, not sure about other unused Steam keys, but would assume it should be valid.

I assume so as well.

If you have key from a reputable seller then they should work. If not, contact the seller and get a refund.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2019 05:14 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Smasandian

If it's being removed from digital stores (most likely because of licensing issues) then its being removed from physical stores as well.

So....this isn't an digital store issue

Look we get all that..ok

but this whole thing over removing games because of licensing issues for digital only games, It's one of the con's for digital games

so much for Digital gaming is going to replace physical stores

then its being removed from physical stores as well.

Except it's not being removed from those stores because you can still buy it.

Last edited by Kazenji on Jan 7th, 2019 at 05:55 AM

Old Post Jan 7th, 2019 05:52 AM
Jmanghan

So....this isn't an digital store issue.

They can't really do that because used games.

Hell, you can still buy games from Gamestop where the companies went out of business, like UFC Undisputed 3.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2019 07:47 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Kazenji
Look we get all that..ok

but this whole thing over removing games because of licensing issues for digital only games, It's one of the con's for digital games

so much for Digital gaming is going to replace physical stores

Except it's not being removed from those stores because you can still buy it.

Maybe unsold copies get recalled, but the games already in circulation stay out there.

Unfortunately, the digital age ruined that, too, with the need for day one patch's (That's why I try and buy "complete" editions, if available. Black edition of Ninja Gaiden is the only Xbox version worth playing today, for example.)

Old Post Jan 7th, 2019 03:56 PM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

(That's why I try and buy "complete" editions, if available.

Same here

especially with the Borderlands games example with how many glitches and bugs it has on it's first release.

Last edited by Kazenji on Jan 8th, 2019 at 01:12 AM

Old Post Jan 8th, 2019 01:06 AM
Jmanghan

Maybe unsold copies get recalled, but the games already in circulation stay out there.

Unfortunately, the digital age ruined that, too, with the need for day one patch's (That's why I try and buy "complete" editions, if available. Black edition of Ninja Gaiden is the only Xbox version worth playing today, for example.)
But Sigma +?

Old Post Jan 8th, 2019 02:36 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I might be wrong on the physical copies being recalled. I believe it's more of the case that they do not produce any more copies but if they are out in the wild, they can still be sold. However, I remember hearing that major sellers (EB for ex.) have sent unsold copies back due to legal issues. It's the same thing in theory (no new copies being produced) than removing them for a digital store.

And I find this whole "day one" patch thing hilarious. Sure, let's go back to the days where you bought a game, installed it and found out it was filled with bugs and then not being able to return it.....those were amazing times to be alive. Or how about the times where you installed the game, the game was shit and you were left with a pile of crap that was never going to be fixed......its rose tinted nostalgia glasses. Yes, there were games that were good and mostly bug free (no game is bug free) but people are forgetting the shitty games and experiences where you just had to work around the crap.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2019 11:40 PM
cdtm

Oh sure, it happened. From what I hear, it happened.

Never personally experienced anything remotely as bad the brokenness on release of, say, Skyrim. Which, to this day, has me randomly falling off the map.

For the most part, the gains given by the ability to fix bugs, has cost a lot of broken games being rushed out the gate, because they could fix it in post. Just about every game in my library of NES, SNES, N64, PS1, and PS2 games work just fine, because real effort was made in quality control to make sure they worked. In another 20 years, those old games will be as playable as the day they were released. In the same 20 years, most 360 and ps3 games won't be playable on an xbox or ps3 (Though some may be available through other channels, but certainly not all.)

I'll take the unfixable broken bit in a largely playable game, over the current trend of shipping out broken products to be patched later because hard limits for profit margins.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 9th, 2019 at 01:40 AM

Old Post Jan 9th, 2019 01:37 AM
Jmanghan

Oh sure, it happened. From what I hear, it happened.

Never personally experienced anything remotely as bad the brokenness on release of, say, Skyrim. Which, to this day, has me randomly falling off the map.

For the most part, the gains given by the ability to fix bugs, has cost a lot of broken games being rushed out the gate, because they could fix it in post. Just about every game in my library of NES, SNES, N64, PS1, and PS2 games work just fine, because real effort was made in quality control to make sure they worked.

I'll take the unfixable broken bit in a largely playable game, over the current trend of shipping out broken products to be patched later because hard limits for profit margins.
Yeah, it really results in huge panning by critics as well, which is sad because they end up being great games sometimes.

No one cares to do a follow-up, and they really shouldn't either. If you're gonna ship your game with 0 content and the whole game being a glitch at launch, you deserve the review you get.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2019 01:41 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Yeah, it really results in huge panning by critics as well, which is sad because they end up being great games sometimes.

No one cares to do a follow-up, and they really shouldn't either.

Well there are some that do follow up reviews, It's very rarely tho.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2019 02:34 AM