KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Fallout 3 vs New Vegas vs Oblivion vs Skyrim

Fallout 3 vs New Vegas vs Oblivion vs Skyrim
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Fallout 3 vs New Vegas vs Oblivion vs Skyrim

Unmodded.

Which was the best game, or the one you enjoyed most?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 02:14 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Skyrim. I know people love the Fallout games, but I could never get interested in the world. It was just too damn ugly which really hurt the exploration IMO.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 02:32 PM
ares834 is online now! Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

I think I enjoyed New Vegas the most.

Skyrim is cool too though.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 03:14 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Never played New Vegas, out of the others, Skyrim for sure.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 07:19 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Didn't play Fallout in earnest, but I preferred Oblivion to Skyrim.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 09:51 PM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Fallout 3.

The pretty ****ing awesome experience for me. The combination of Bethesda gameplay and subject matter was my jam.

I basically went in 4 directions to the edge of the map to explore and was completely immersed. Fantastic game.

Fallout 4 was second while Skyrim was third.

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 10:12 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Comes down to New Vegas vs Skyrim for me. Too close to call.

Fallout 3 is a great game for sure but after a couple of playthroughs it started getting boring to me. There are really only two or three different possible endings for the game, unlike NV, and I greatly prefer the faction system in NV over the karma system in Fallout 3. Not that NV doesn't use karma but it has very little actual effect on the game. New Vegas improved on F3 in so many ways. Hardcore mode, for example, is one of my favorite things about NV and it would've made Fallout 3 so much better had it been an option for the game.

One thing, perhaps the only thing, I liked better about F3 is the fact it ran much better on my XBOX than NV ran on my PS3. NV would run ok up until my character made it to the actual city of NV then the crashes and massive frame rate drops/lag would start happening very frequently.

I've never played Oblivion but after practically falling in love with Skyrim after I started playing it last year (and still playing same playthru lol) I'm strongly considering going back and playing Oblivion eventually.

So it comes down for me between Skrim and NV and it's just too close to call. There are some things I like better about Skyrim and some things I like better about NV.

I actually prefer the fantasy setting and the rich lore of Elder Scrolls over that of the Fallout series. Use up so much of my game time reading thru all kinds of books I find throughout Skyrim and storing them in certain order on the many bookshelves I have among the 6 or 7 different houses I have in the game. Fallout lore is ok but it's not nearly as deep and rich.

Prefer the levelling-up system in NV though over Skyrim for sure.I hate how in the latter , for example, that you can stand in fire, keep taking damage, and constantly heal yourself up to speed-up your skill advancement in the restoration skill. And overall, I just like the skill points system based on your intelligence in NV over the skill system in Skyrim in which you only level-up skills after using them a lot. Not that I think the Skyrim way of doing it is bad. It's a refreshing change but I still prefer the one NV uses.

Dragons... what else can you say? Skyrim has them, NV doesn't. I love fighting dragons in Skyrim far more than I like fighting any enemy (even deathclaws) in NV. I know they aren't really a challenge once you start getting pretty high in level but even at level 82 as my character is now I still love fighting them even though they go down pretty easily.

I'll go into more detail at a later time regarding which things I like better in NV vs which things I like better in Skyrim. Just don't have that much time at the moment.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post May 3rd, 2019 10:35 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I'll take any of the Fallout games, The gameplay in those games is more my style then what the Elder Scrolls games do.

Old Post May 4th, 2019 02:15 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

quote: (post)
Originally posted by eThneoLgrRnae
Comes down to New Vegas vs Skyrim for me. Too close to call.

Fallout 3 is a great game for sure but after a couple of playthroughs it started getting boring to me. There are really only two or three different possible endings for the game, unlike NV, and I greatly prefer the faction system in NV over the karma system in Fallout 3. Not that NV doesn't use karma but it has very little actual effect on the game. New Vegas improved on F3 in so many ways. Hardcore mode, for example, is one of my favorite things about NV and it would've made Fallout 3 so much better had it been an option for the game.

One thing, perhaps the only thing, I liked better about F3 is the fact it ran much better on my XBOX than NV ran on my PS3. NV would run ok up until my character made it to the actual city of NV then the crashes and massive frame rate drops/lag would start happening very frequently.

I've never played Oblivion but after practically falling in love with Skyrim after I started playing it last year (and still playing same playthru lol) I'm strongly considering going back and playing Oblivion eventually.

So it comes down for me between Skrim and NV and it's just too close to call. There are some things I like better about Skyrim and some things I like better about NV.

I actually prefer the fantasy setting and the rich lore of Elder Scrolls over that of the Fallout series. Use up so much of my game time reading thru all kinds of books I find throughout Skyrim and storing them in certain order on the many bookshelves I have among the 6 or 7 different houses I have in the game. Fallout lore is ok but it's not nearly as deep and rich.

Prefer the levelling-up system in NV though over Skyrim for sure.I hate how in the latter , for example, that you can stand in fire, keep taking damage, and constantly heal yourself up to speed-up your skill advancement in the restoration skill. And overall, I just like the skill points system based on your intelligence in NV over the skill system in Skyrim in which you only level-up skills after using them a lot. Not that I think the Skyrim way of doing it is bad. It's a refreshing change but I still prefer the one NV uses.

Dragons... what else can you say? Skyrim has them, NV doesn't. I love fighting dragons in Skyrim far more than I like fighting any enemy (even deathclaws) in NV. I know they aren't really a challenge once you start getting pretty high in level but even at level 82 as my character is now I still love fighting them even though they go down pretty easily.

I'll go into more detail at a later time regarding which things I like better in NV vs which things I like better in Skyrim. Just don't have that much time at the moment.
Ever played Dragon's Dogma or Dragon Age: Inquistion? Dragons in those game are so much better then the ones in Skyrim.

Old Post May 4th, 2019 05:39 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Love the Fallout games but Skyrim works as an RPG in much better ways than Fallout, you can really create very different characters every time you play, I also have fun setting myself character challenges, like no armour or weapons, just conjured swords and spells like stoneflesh, on my latest playthrough I am only using weapons and armour that I come across, no smithing or enchanting allowed, Fallout gives you less room to do that I think.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post May 4th, 2019 08:30 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by samhain
Love the Fallout games but Skyrim works as an RPG in much better ways than Fallout, you can really create very different characters every time you play, I also have fun setting myself character challenges, like no armour or weapons, just conjured swords and spells like stoneflesh, on my latest playthrough I am only using weapons and armour that I come across, no smithing or enchanting allowed, Fallout gives you less room to do that I think.

Old Post May 4th, 2019 10:14 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's a terrible video and full of shit.

RPG does not have a set amount of genre defining qualities. If you put these "rules" to other RPG games than they would fall into the same thing.

Old Post May 4th, 2019 12:31 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Seems like the guy from that vid has never actually played an RPG.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post May 4th, 2019 01:35 PM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So who here attacked the mammoths, and paid for it?

Riling up the giants is like a rite of passage.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on May 4th, 2019 at 06:31 PM

Old Post May 4th, 2019 06:28 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Ever played Dragon's Dogma or Dragon Age: Inquistion? Dragons in those game are so much better then the ones in Skyrim.

I have one of the DA games. Not sure which one it is but "Inquisition" sounds very familiar. I've played it for a couple of hours (not long enough to see any dragons) and started getting bored with it. Haven't played it since.

I have a hard time believing dragons in it are better than the ones in Skyrim. If by 'better' you mean that they are more challenging in combat then I could probably believe that. Once you get the dual-casting destruction perk that allows you to stagger opponents you can "stun lock" dragons with most destruction spells and they become a joke. If you mean they look better and more majestic then I seriously doubt it considering how, imo, Skyrim as a whole looks much better overall than DA does. That's justy my opinion though and you might think differently.

Originally posted by samhain

Although I have a tough time choosing which game between the two (NV & Skyrim) that I overall like better I think it's laughable to say that Skyrim is better as a purely RPG than F3 or NV. I create very different characters every time I play a fallout game though I agree that in Skyrim you have way more options in how your character looks at the beginning since you have a bunch of different races to choose from. In Fallout 3 and NV, iirc, you can play a human and human only.

In the fallout games though, other than the character creation at the start, I think your character has many more and much wider range of choices to make than in Skyrim and the choices you make also have a much bigger impact on the world as a whole, imo.

Originally posted by Smasandian
That's a terrible video and full of shit.

RPG does not have a set amount of genre defining qualities. If you put these "rules" to other RPG games than they would fall into the same thing.

Agreed. The person who made that video doesn't know what he's talking about. Skyrim definitely has lots of RPG elements in it and I do consider it a part of the RPG genre but I would never think it's even more of an RPG than the fallout games.

Paleontologists have tried to turn Archaeopteryx into an earth bound feathered dinosaur. But it is not. It is a bird, a perching bird. And no amount of 'paleobabble' is going to change that.-- Alan Feduccia-a world authority on birds, quoted in "Archaeopteryx:Early Bird Catches a Can of Worms," Science 1994, p.764-765

Old Post May 4th, 2019 06:41 PM
eThneoLgrRnae is currently offline Click here to Send eThneoLgrRnae a Private Message Find more posts by eThneoLgrRnae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
So who here attacked the mammoths, and paid for it?

Riling up the giants is like a rite of passage.

lol I did that when I first started playing at around level 7-10 and got my a** handed to me repeatedly. Finally, I learned to just stay away till got higher in level and a follower to help out. Now, at level 82, giants are a joke though but then pretty much everything else is as well, including Alduin.

Old Post May 4th, 2019 06:45 PM
Jmanghan

I have one of the DA games. Not sure which one it is but "Inquisition" sounds very familiar. I've played it for a couple of hours (not long enough to see any dragons) and started getting bored with it. Haven't played it since.

I have a hard time believing dragons in it are better than the ones in Skyrim. If by 'better' you mean that they are more challenging in combat then I could probably believe that. Once you get the dual-casting destruction perk that allows you to stagger opponents you can "stun lock" dragons with most destruction spells and they become a joke. If you mean they look better and more majestic then I seriously doubt it considering how, imo, Skyrim as a whole looks much better overall than DA does. That's justy my opinion though and you might think differently.

Although I have a tough time choosing which game between the two (NV & Skyrim) that I overall like better I think it's laughable to say that Skyrim is better as a purely RPG than F3 or NV. I create very different characters every time I play a fallout game though I agree that in Skyrim you have way more options in how your character looks at the beginning since you have a bunch of different races to choose from. In Fallout 3 and NV, iirc, you can play a human and human only.

In the fallout games though, other than the character creation at the start, I think your character has many more and much wider range of choices to make than in Skyrim and the choices you make also have a much bigger impact on the world as a whole, imo.

Agreed. The person who made that video doesn't know what he's talking about. Skyrim definitely has lots of RPG elements in it and I do consider it a part of the RPG genre but I would never think it's even more of an RPG than the fallout games.

Old Post May 5th, 2019 07:09 AM
Jmanghan

They're designed a lot better and yeah they don't fly a lot but imo they behave a lot better.

It's like you're threatening their territory.

Old Post May 5th, 2019 07:11 AM
eThneoLgrRnae
Restricted

Account Restricted

I see. Well I think the fact they don't fly much means I probably wouldn't like them very much. Also, I checked and the DA game I have is not "Inquisition", it's "Origins". Don't know if that makes any difference or not in regards to the dragons.

Old Post May 5th, 2019 07:17 AM
Jmanghan

I see. Well I think the fact they don't fly much means I probably wouldn't like them very much. Also, I checked and the DA game I have is not "Inquisition", it's "Origins". Don't know if that makes any difference or not in regards to the dragons.
The ones in Dragon's Dogma fly a lot if that helps, and you can climb them! big grin

Old Post May 5th, 2019 07:23 AM