KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Best Video Games of the Decade

Best Video Games of the Decade
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Best Video Games of the Decade

What are your picks?

Mine:

Grand Theft Auto V
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption II
The Last of Us
Batman: Arkham City
Spider-Man (PS4)

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 31st, 2019 07:05 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Some good choices there.

I'd also throw in Witcher 3 and Divinity 1 and 2 just to name a few.

Phantom Pain was really good as well.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2019 07:25 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Mass Effect 2 is probably my absolute game of the decade, but honourable mentions abound:

I got in to MMOs in a big way, levelling people to max in Star Trek Online, Star Wars The Old Republic and what is my second-favourite game of the decade, Final Fantasy XIV.

I'd like to also mention the likes of Arkham, the new Hitman games, GTA (even as shitty as Rockstar have gotten), and the Lego games. And naturally Mass Effect 3, which to be fair, is pretty damn good bar the very end.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 4th, 2020 06:22 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Doom 2016, Mass Effect 2, Subnautica, Dark Souls, Bayonetta.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2020 06:54 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Mass Effect 2 is probably my GotD as well.

My top 5 are probably (in no order):

Mass Effect 2
Dark Souls
Witcher 3
BotW
Skyrim

What can I say, I love RPGs.

Last edited by ares834 on Jan 4th, 2020 at 09:22 PM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2020 09:14 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Dark Souls
Fallout: New Vegas
Undertale
Lisa: the Painful RPG
Mass Effect 2
Hollow Knight
Red Dead Redemption
Sekiro
The Age of Decadence
Katana ZERO

Limited to games I've beaten at least once and obviously I've played, so Nintendo games are SOL because consoles are gay.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2020 09:33 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

In no particular order:

Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil 2
Mass Effect 2
Witcher 3
Shadows of the Colossus Remake
The Walking Dead Season 1
Overwatch
Alien Isolation
Fallout New Vegas
Persona 5
Dark Souls
Spider-Man PS4 (it averages higher than the Arkham games for me so it takes their spot)
Bloodborne
The Last of Us
Resident Evil Remastered (:v)

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jan 4th, 2020 10:12 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
Dark Souls
Fallout: New Vegas
Undertale
Lisa: the Painful RPG
Mass Effect 2
Hollow Knight
Red Dead Redemption
Sekiro
The Age of Decadence
Katana ZERO

Limited to games I've beaten at least once and obviously I've played, so Nintendo games are SOL because consoles are gay.

Do you genocide?

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 01:24 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Most of my favorites have also been mentioned already, so I'll avoid repeating them. In general though, for me, this decade has really been defined by Dark Souls and souls-like titles like Bloodborne and Hollow Knight. I'll also throw Infamous 2/3, Borderlands 2/3, Portal 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Shadow of Mordor into the the pot, since no one's mentioned them yet. I'm sure there's also a ton of indie games deserving of a spot, but there's so many that I can't really call them all to mind on the spot.

For all the RPG lovers, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dragon Age or Dragon's Dogma. I haven't played much of either, but weren't they supposed to be among the better RPGs of the decade?

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Jan 5th, 2020 at 01:56 AM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 01:53 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

I would definitely have Dragon Age: Origins on this list but it just misses the cut-off for this decade.

I wouldn't include either of the other DA games, myself.

Last edited by Trocity on Jan 5th, 2020 at 01:57 AM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 01:55 AM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yeah it's 2010 onwards, so Origins wouldn't count. I thought Inquisition was pretty popular too, though.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 01:57 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Araan Eligis

The best I can think of:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma
Fez
Celeste
Portal 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Mario Odyssey
LOZ: Breath of the Wild

HMs: Death Stranding, MGS5, The Witness, Witcher 2/3, Limbo/Inside, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Persona 5

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 02:00 AM
Araan Eligis is currently offline Click here to Send Araan Eligis a Private Message Find more posts by Araan Eligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Most of my favorites have also been mentioned already, so I'll avoid repeating them. In general though, for me, this decade has really been defined by Dark Souls and souls-like titles like Bloodborne and Hollow Knight. I'll also throw Infamous 2/3, Borderlands 2/3, Portal 2, Super Mario Odyssey, and Shadow of Mordor into the the pot, since no one's mentioned them yet. I'm sure there's also a ton of indie games deserving of a spot, but there's so many that I can't really call them all to mind on the spot.

For all the RPG lovers, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dragon Age or Dragon's Dogma. I haven't played much of either, but weren't they supposed to be among the better RPGs of the decade?
Portal is good at what it does, but didn't stick with me like the ones I named, and I unfortunately haven't beaten Bloodborne because, as I said, consoles are gay. Shadow of Mordor is very good but I never finished it, which isn't a mark against the game's quality, I just had ADD for games for the longest time and didn't finish a lot of really good games. Dark Souls is definitely one of the strongest contenders for game of the decade in terms of impact, only perhaps beaten out by Minecraft (you don't have to like it but can't deny its influence)

Dragon's Dogma is another victim of my video game OCD. In terms of combat it is one of the best action RPG games I've ever played, though it is lacking in story and RPG choice/dialogue mechanics compared to some of the games I've mentioned. Dragon Age Inquisition sucks shitty balls and I will tolerate no one who says otherwise. 2 is better. Origins is very good though, rivaling Mass Effect 2 as Bioware's best.

Also don't be a gay, what games already mentioned would you bring up?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 02:04 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Portal is good at what it does, but didn't stick with me like the ones I named, and I unfortunately haven't beaten Bloodborne because, as I said, consoles are gay. Shadow of Mordor is very good but I never finished it, which isn't a mark against the game's quality, I just had ADD for games for the longest time and didn't finish a lot of really good games. Dark Souls is definitely one of the strongest contenders for game of the decade in terms of impact, only perhaps beaten out by Minecraft (you don't have to like it but can't deny its influence)

Dragon's Dogma is another victim of my video game OCD. In terms of combat it is one of the best action RPG games I've ever played, though it is lacking in story and RPG choice/dialogue mechanics compared to some of the games I've mentioned. Dragon Age Inquisition sucks shitty balls and I will tolerate no one who says otherwise. 2 is better. Origins is very good though, rivaling Mass Effect 2 as Bioware's best.

Also don't be a gay, what games already mentioned would you bring up?

Think of it like emulating the console.

Only without the PC. PCless emulation.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 02:29 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

I unfortunately haven't beaten Bloodborne because, as I said, consoles are gay.

Yeah, I figured that's why it was omitted. It's a shame, though; I just revisited it the other day, and it's still a blast. Arcane-heavy builds are really fun, provided that you know how to make use of the stat in the early game, before spells and elemental gems become available.

quote:
Shadow of Mordor is very good but I never finished it, which isn't a mark against the game's quality, I just had ADD for games for the longest time and didn't finish a lot of really good games.

As someone who didn't play the Arkham games, it was a really fresh experience for me. Especially once the goal of the game shifted to army-building instead of just orc-hunting. I would have mentioned Shadow of War, since it's basically SoM but "more," but the EA P2W garbage was so intrusive that it hurt the atmosphere for me. There's something to be said for Shadow of Mordor's "cozy-ness," too; there was only two maps in the game, but you could sort of engineer your own things to do within, so it had a more sandbox-y feel than the story-driven SoW.

quote:
Dark Souls is definitely one of the strongest contenders for game of the decade in terms of impact, only perhaps beaten out by Minecraft (you don't have to like it but can't deny its influence)

I guess I just don't personally don't associate Minecraft with the 2010s. Older web-based versions of the game existed in the mid-late 2000s, and that's when I played it. Totally agreed on Dark Souls; it's a shame that so much of its fame is for it being "the really hard game," and not "the really beautifully designed game" that it is.

quote:
Dragon's Dogma is another victim of my video game OCD. In terms of combat it is one of the best action RPG games I've ever played, though it is lacking in story and RPG choice/dialogue mechanics compared to some of the games I've mentioned.

I hear there was a 2019 expansion/rerelease that might have helped on that front.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 02:40 AM
cdtm

What 2019 expansion? The Switch version came out then, and afaik that's just the same Dark Arisen expansion we got since 2016. Maybe with an added Nintendo exclusive or two.

For the record, the Xbox 360 version of DA has a "black swordsman" outfit, and the "White hawk" sets, so you can get your Berserk on. The outfits did not survive the port to modern systems.

Last edited by cdtm on Jan 5th, 2020 at 02:59 AM

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 02:55 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Trocity
I would definitely have Dragon Age: Origins on this list but it just misses the cut-off for this decade.

I wouldn't include either of the other DA games, myself.

Yeah, I wanted to have DAO as it's my favourite game of this century, but sadly it misses the cut-off.

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Yeah it's 2010 onwards, so Origins wouldn't count. I thought Inquisition was pretty popular too, though.

I like it, and I've finished it twice, but I dunno it has a LOT of issues, and when it came out it got a lot of justified flak.

==

One game I forgot to mention is Star Wars Battlefront 2. Sure, for a while it was a mess, but as it is right now, and for the last year or two? It's been a phenomenal Star Wars experience imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 03:02 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Hm, I'll have to get around to playing the console version.

I'm sure the complaints about the 360 version of DA:O being trash as opposed to the PC version are exaggerated.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 03:08 AM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

God of War (2018)
Bloodborne
Dark Souls Trilogy
Doom
South Park The Fractured But Whole
Mass Effect 2
Dragon’s Dogma
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2020 03:10 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by cdtm
What 2019 expansion? The Switch version came out then, and afaik that's just the same Dark Arisen expansion we got since 2016. Maybe with an added Nintendo exclusive or two.

I don't actually play or follow DD, so since I saw "dark arisen" articles pop up in 2019, I assumed it was a new expansion.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2020 01:44 AM