KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Arachnid1

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla

The live reveal event just ended. Setting isn't much of a surprise since it leaked months ago. Anyway, this one is by the Black Flag and Origins team (IMO the best AC games). I'm looking forward to it. We're going to get the trailer tomorrow.

(please log in to view the image)

PWNT

Last edited by Arachnid1 on Apr 29th, 2020 at 08:05 PM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2020 08:02 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Trailer is supposed to drop today, isn't it?

As unlikely as it would be, I'm really hoping it's less focused on rpg elements and that the combat is a bit different. But we'll see.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 09:14 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I'm different, my favourite game of the series is Odyssey.

I enjoy the RPG elements and I think it makes the series much better. It gives you a reason to run around the map and do activities.

Combat will probably change a bit but Origins/Odyssey are the best games in the series and one of the reason is its super easy to move around. The previous AC games are anything but (flashbacks of trying to sneak around and falling to your death)

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 01:07 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I liked Origins (bar the combat), but I felt like Odyssey was a legitimate step backwards in quality.

Also, how dare you. laughing out loud

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 01:09 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I haven’t played an AC game since AC 3, but the setting has me intrigued. If the trailer looks good, I might have to check this out.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 01:29 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
I liked Origins (bar the combat), but I felt like Odyssey was a legitimate step backwards in quality.

Also, how dare you. laughing out loud

I will dare so!

Origins was very good step forward and being in Egypt was awesome.
But for me, there was something missing because I got less thrilled on playing it once I got further into it.

For Odyssey, I didn't feel this. I did pretty much every mission available to me and upgrade 99% of my gear. I believe it was the RPG elements that really made the game fun as hell for me. I also enjoyed the upgrade system (or the abilities you got) more in Odyssey.

I would be happy if Valhalla removed the RPG elements and made more interesting missions. Follow the same path as Witcher 3 in regard to making excellent quests you can complete. If they removed RPG but still made mission generics as hell, that is not exciting at all.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 02:38 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Badass cinematic trailer. AC always does well with these.

PWNT

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 03:23 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

So it's basically a combination of The Last Kingdom/Viking shows. It's an interesting era and hasn't really been explored that much...could be cool to see England in mid 800's.

I don't think climbing will be a major aspect to this game...not a lot of tall buildings! I guess AC3 was in the same situation.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 03:40 PM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Looks dope, need to see some game play though.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 04:30 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I believe gameplay will be shown May 7th on the Xbox Series X stream. A stream that will be showing gameplay of Series X for various devleopers/publishers.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 04:49 PM
ares834

These games aren't even about Assassins and stealth anymore.

It's kinda funny seeing Alfred being portrayed as the villain in this conflict. How dare he try to repel a foreign invasion!

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 05:04 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That is not true at all.

And the "stealth" in the original games was a pile of shit. Oh look, I can "blend in" but cannot crouch behind a wall. Or consists of climbing a building and hoping nobody is up there.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 07:25 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

looks good.. can't wait to delve in for 80 hours and solve everything..

can't wait for blood, guts and violence

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 08:19 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Originally posted by Smasandian
That is not true at all.

And the "stealth" in the original games was a pile of shit. Oh look, I can "blend in" but cannot crouch behind a wall. Or consists of climbing a building and hoping nobody is up there.

Sure it is. Odyssey, while fun, was basically Witcher-lite. It was almost a pure action game.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2020 09:17 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I agree that Oydssey took elements from Witcher 3...and that's a good thing but it wasn't a pure action game.

You can play it as a action game if you like but you can easily complete most objectives using stealth. I know because I did. It had the same amount of stealth gameplay as every other single Assassins Creed game out there. Hell, every enemy camp could be taken down silently and with a good array of stealth abilities.

Old Post May 1st, 2020 04:21 AM
Arachnid1

Odyssey is insanely shit when it comes to stealth, but it's problems extended well beyond that. Most of the time you will not be able to assassinate targets with a stealthy stab (it usually works on the weaker mob enemies, but even that is spotty depending on the level of the region; level gating everywhere). Even with the fully upgraded critical assassination skill. brb walk up behind an unaware target and stab them in the neck with a critical only for them to lose a third of their health and turn around to fight you and now you have to wack away at them for 5 minutes. Sure. the older games had pretty shit stealth too, but at least stealth was still always the focus and you could always OHK your target.

They included sailing but it is nowhere near as expanded or fun as it is in AC4 (which had different weather effects and insanely turbulent waves to battle in). It's mostly just going from destination to destination while nothing happens. Ship combat is basic and easy, and the waves are for the most part pretty flat. Nothing epic or standout here.

The main character is the worst in the series. Alexios/Kassandra is super unmemorable (meanwhile, Bayek from Origins is one of the best leads in the series with Edward and Ezio). They introduced a choice system with dialogue and story, but it's pretty basic (be a goody two shoes, a dick, or a greedy merc looking for money). This ended up making the main character feel like they have no real personality and it kills attachment which is important in a 100hr+ game. The few choices that affect the story just served to neuter the ending and make it feel unfulfilling (I got the best ending because I made all the good choices, but then everything just ends hunky dory with no consequences and you almost literally sail into the sunset tf). There are technically three endings to three concurrent main stories, and EVERY SINGLE ONE fell flat. They also tried to copy the sidequest design Witcher 3 used, but it didn't work because the writing/dialogue was usually pretty stupid (the entire game is light hearted and trying to be funny, so everyone just plays a greek caricature and says dumb chit; this game isn't a wart on Witcher 3s @ss srs). Quest design also just feels padded out. Kill this person, gather these plants, fetch this document, kill 6 wolves, explore 20 caves, (etc...). This applies to main story and the side missions (though I will say the DLCs were actually pretty fun; better than the main game anyway).

The world is huge, but most if it is empty, copy pasted, and looks the same. Origins was amazing to explore because of the care that went into the unique destinations and aesthetic. Odyssey is mostly flat and boring buildings. Even the bigger buildings that are supposed to blow us away look the same. Wow! I just found the 10th Temple of Zeus with columns (imagine if they copied and pasted the pyramids in Origins around the entire map 30 fkn times).

PWNT

Old Post May 1st, 2020 12:58 PM
Arachnid1

Here's a breakdown of the trailer from the creative and narrative directors. These guys are a pretty big deal in the franchise. The narrative director wrote the story for Black Flag and Revelations (the two best stories in the series with the two best endings), and the creative director made Black Flag and Origins (which are the best games in the series; especially when it comes to exploration, aesthetic, and world design IMO). Both of them have a stellar track record when it comes to AC, and this is the first time they've been united since Black Flag.

Also, here is an insane info dump on the game from reddit:
quote:
Ubisoft on Twitter confirmed First Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer to be on 7th of May at Xbox Event. Source: https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/...3887257600?s=20

The Lead Writer for AC:Revelations, Blackflag and Consultant on Origins Darby McDevitt is in charge of narrative and writing on this game (If you don't know who he is, he's awesome).

Those that worry about narrative Darby McDevitt said the dialogue choices are all going to be much more streamlined so that each choice is more in line with the Eivors personality and context unlike Odyssey where option 1= Laugh 2=Angry 3=Cocky instead it would focus on making sure whatever choice your making would be something Eivor would actually say to make sure protagonist has a solid coherent personality. Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...r/1100-6476661/

They said beginning of the game you will be in Norway which will show how bad and horrible it is to continue to live there due to war and lack of resources and then go off to England or more accurately the 4 Kingdoms of England at the time and be able to go back to Norway again whenever you want but majority of the game will be in England and is supposedly huge. Source: Trailer with commentary by Creative Director and Narrative Director: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_nb_YECQoQ

Ashraf Ismail is Creative Director for Valhalla, he was also Director on Black Flag and Origins which instils confidence.

Use of Hidden Blade is Back! Although you get it a little bit later in game like AC2

Inclusion of Mini-Games is back Fishing, Drinking games and Rap Battles? lol

It seems you will be able to Skin (change appearance of your Raven? As shown by a foreign game shop on twitter that you get a Raven Skin with the "Drakkar" Edition. Source: https://twitter.com/bol_com_games/s...1081506816?s=20

Cloak/Hood will be in the game and you can choose to bring it up or down.

JorRaptor has confirmed Social Stealth will be in the game but it will have a unique twist. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d0...eature=youtu.be

Eivor is pronounced “Ā-vōr.”

You can choose whether your Eivor is male or female.

Writer says they have come up with a way to explain the gender choice in a clever way.

The Writer also confirmed Both Male & Female are canon choices. How that actually works we'll have to wait and see. Source: https://twitter.com/KnightMadness/s...7253067777?s=20

In terms of Mythology the writer said they wanted to take a grounded approach probably meaning similar to the base game of Origins whereby The Gods were a real religion this culture believed and was prevalent in their everyday life so to ignore it would be very inaccurate, with this one only time will tell how tame or crazy they decide to go with it. Source https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a...r/1100-6476661/

When asked what writer thinks about God of War and how Valhalla will differentiate itself the writer said in a nutshell God of War's main selling point is the fantasy elements of being able to go and punch another god in the fate and travel to fantasy environments where is Valhalla aims to be a much more grounded approach as he says he doesn't believe there's ever been a viking game that's tried to be the ultimate grounded viking fantasy and instead all have focused on the mythology mainly.

Customization options let you change Eivor’s hair, beard, clothing, war paint, and more.

The game takes place in Norway and England.

At the time England was split into 4 Divided Kingdoms East-Anglia, Mercia, Northumbria and Wessex

England has three major cities to visit: London, Winchester, and Jórvík (York) while inc. other towns.

You can dual-wield almost any combination of weapons including Dual Shields.

Every piece of gear is unique.

Gear can be upgraded and customized, and you can use the same equipment from beginning to end if you want to.

You earn new abilities through a system mechanically similar to a skill tree.

Ability to throw axes just like Eivor does in the trailer is in the game as a skill confirmed.

What you can accomplish is more about gear and skills, not character levels.

Words the team have used to describe combat include “brutal,” “crunchy,” and “weighty.” They have said they put it alot of time in making sure there is a real sense of weight and impact during close combat which is awesome especially compared to Odyssey which was opposite.

Combat system seems to be somewhat revamped allowing to bash, dismember and decapitate enemies.

The team is putting extra effort toward drastically increasing enemy variety to keep encounters surprising over a very long game.

Ashraf Ismail Creative Director said Enemies will have weak points hinting at certain skills being required to beat them which could tie into how their going to avoid traditional level gating areas by having them tied to certain abilities. (Need more time to confirm details but if true sounds good).

When asked if features like Mercenary system from Odyssey is there or improved he just said a vague statement about that there are many systems they have improved.

You have a longship you use to go on raids.

Your longship has a crew, including warriors you can customize.

Assaults are big setpiece moments. They are different from raids, and involve attacks on large fortifications.

You build a settlement that serves as your base.

You upgrade buildings in your base which unlock mechanics e.g. Blacksmith, Tatooist etc

Your clan and others you recruit live in your settlement.

People you recruit in the world can be taken with you as your team/ raid party & customised.

Settlement Affects world & characters/ story "It's at the centre of our quests and the centre of the decisions you make. We want players to see the consequences of their actions." Big story arcs will begin and end here, the impact of your decisions rippling through your growing community. You'll see the effects of alliances - such as weddings to forge relationships between clans - and the consequences of "harsh choices you have to face". It's also where you'll see some of the game's romances play out (if you choose to indulge in those)".

Yes Romance Options are coming back.

Raven will be the new Eagle Equivalent Companion but will have new abilities and have confirmed this mechanic and exploration to be less UI Heavy and more rewarding e.g. if you notice a distraction somewhere it's probably because there's some content there.

Naval Battles scaled down compared to Origins/Odyssey no sitting in boat firing cannons etc as Vikings just didn't do that, instead it will be used as the fastest mode of travel via waterways etc

Co-Op is out of the question, it is confirmed Valhalla is Single Player Only however on the official Ubisoft AC:Valhalla Website it says the following; Share your custom Raider - Recruit mercenary Vikings designed by other players or create and customise your own to share online. Sit back and reap the rewards when they fight alongside your friends in their game worlds. Source: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/game/...-creed/valhalla

Hidden Ones and Order of Ancients (a.k.a. Assassins and Templars) are in the game.

At some point, Eivor meets Assassins, works alongside them, and uses a hidden blade.

King Aelfred of Wessex (later known as Alfred the Great) is a villain figure in trailer but Writer says Both the Vikings and Certain Figures like King Alfred will be a lot more nuanced.

Layla’s story in the present day continues.

It seems The Ultimate Edition of the game mentions a Berserker Gear Pack which includes Hati Wolf Mount.

Ubisoft Montreal is leading development on Valhalla. The studio’s last two Assassin’s Creed games were Origins and Black Flag.

14 other Ubisoft Studios are supporting Valhalla’s development, along with external partner Sperasoft. Yes 14 STUDIOS! It's crazy.

Valhalla is a cross-gen game, coming to the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X alongside PS4 and Xbox One as well as on PC but only so far showing as Epic Game Store and UPlay.

Valhalla will also support ‘Smart Delivery’ on Xbox, meaning you can buy the game once and have access to both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X versions. Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/assass...n-xbox-series-x

The game will release during the 2020 holiday season.

In Game Screenshots - http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020...
and_more

Both Male and Female Voice Actors for Eivor revealed - Male played by Magnus Bruun who you may know from the Vikings TV Series The Last Kingdom Season 3 where he played Cnutt. Female voice actor played by Cecilie Stenspil. Source: https://twitter.com/AshrafAIsmail/s...1592366082?s=20

PWNT

Old Post May 2nd, 2020 04:28 AM
NemeBro

Originally posted by ares834
These games aren't even about Assassins and stealth anymore.

It's kinda funny seeing Alfred being portrayed as the villain in this conflict. How dare he try to repel a foreign invasion!
The whitewashing of the vikings was hilarious. I laughed when that noble viking heroically pillaging a village spared the woman and child out of the stalwart goodness of his raiding heart.

Old Post May 2nd, 2020 04:57 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by NemeBro
The whitewashing of the vikings was hilarious. I laughed when that noble viking heroically pillaging a village spared the woman and child out of the stalwart goodness of his raiding heart.
His buddy was about to murder them both. The one who stopped it is the main character. Dude has a hidden blade, so I'm assuming he's already part of the assassins and abides the Creed's tenets (in which case, he would definitely spare the woman and child).

PWNT

Old Post May 2nd, 2020 03:20 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Yeah Eivor is already seemingly an assassin from the beginning, and this is well after Odyssey and Origins, so the Creed and its tenants reinvented by Bayek and the Hidden Ones have already been established for several centuries at this point.

Old Post May 2nd, 2020 03:36 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote