KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Trickster's Choice

Trickster's Choice
Started by: Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Trickster's Choice

This is the newest book by Tamora Pierce. My best friend lent it to me last night, and I'm about three-qurters of the way thru. I'm gonna finish it tonight and come back on hopefully.

who else has read it?

Old Post Jan 4th, 2004 02:29 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

are you a fast reader or is it a short book? I could never finish a book in a day...wish I could,but when I read fast I cant retain what I read.
so tell us what its like when your done smile

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 03:20 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

its about 340 pages. I always read a new book quite quickly, because I'm so eager to read it. The second time I read it ((which is usually only a week later!)) I read it more slowly to fully take it all in

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:34 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Well, to tell you about the book, I'd have to give you a mini-history of the Tortall series...

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:34 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Well, tortall is a country in an ((as yet)) unnamed world. It is semi-medieval, yet Pierce has admitted to being heavily influenced by Tudor England.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:43 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

this is her mainpage...

http://www.tamora-pierce.com/

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:44 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

ok, so there is this girl, ten years old, called Alanna of Trebond. She wants to be a knight, but girls aren't allowed to be knights. However she has a twin brother Thom, who she switches places with, she goes off to the Capital to becme a knight, he goes to the monastery to train to be a mage

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:45 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

this is taken from the website..

The Song of the Lioness quartet:
This story, all four books, is about the making of a hero. It's also about a very stubborn girl. Alanna of Trebond wants to be a knight of the realm of Tortall, in a time when girls are forbidden to be warriors. Rather than give up her dream, she and her brother--who wants to be a mage, not a knight--switch places. She becomes Alan; Thom becomes a student wizard in the school where she would have learned to be a lady. The quartet is about her struggle to achieve her goals and to master weapons, combat, polite behavior, her magic, her temper, and even her own heart. It is about friendships--with the heir to the throne, the King of Thieves, a wise and kindly knight--and her long struggle against a powerful enemy mage. She sees battle as a squire and as a knight, lives among desert people and tries to rescue an independent princess. Singled out by a goddess, accompanied by a semi-divine cat with firm opinions, somehow she survives her many adventures to become a most unlikely legend. (Click here to read a sample from ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE.)

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:46 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:47 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

the next in the series is Daine

All the orphaned Daine wants when she comes to Tortall is a job. What she finds is magic in many forms, an ongoing war with creatures from legends and nightmares, a new home and, eventually, her unknown father. Hired by the Queen's Riders to help with their horses, she learns her knack with animals is a rare magic which helps her to communicate with the animal kingdom. With that discovery she becomes the student--then friend and sometimes protector--of the great mage Numair. He also helps her to develop her second magical skill, the ability to sense the presence of the immortals, fabled creatures who have come to mortal lands after a long imprisonment. All these changes in Daine's life bring her new human friends as well as animal ones: Tortall's rulers, Alanna the Lioness, the heir to the throne of imperial Carthak, a pygmy marmoset, and the badger god. Often she comes into contact--and sometimes conflict--with Stormwings--half human, half steel birds; dragons; spidrens--giant furred spiders with human heads and an appetite for human flesh; griffins; and the clawed, winged horses called hurroks. Daine is kept on the move as she grows into adulthood and her power, coming to terms with her world and her strange, mixed parentage.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:47 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

The next is Keladry ((my personal fave))

The Protector of the Small quartet:
This is the tale of Keladry of Mindelan, a girl who wants just one thing: to copy the feat of her hero Alanna the Lioness, and win her knight's shield. She is now old enough to be a page, and the King has decreed that any nobly-born girl with her parents' consent can enter the palace school. Kel has that permission, as well as the warnings of her parents and older brothers that she will not exactly be welcomed in her new life. They are right, but she means to succeed. To stop Kel in her tracks, the training master, Lord Wyldon of Cavall, insists that she be placed on probation. FIRST TEST is the story of Kel's probationary year.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:48 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

more keladry...

PAGE, the second Protector book, details Kel's remaining years as a page. Just because she survived her first year doesn't mean that everyone now loves and accepts her. She has to deal with that, among other things. What other things? you ask. Try a stray dog who doesn't listen when Kel says "No." Try a maidservant who squeaks with dismay every time Kel picks up a weapon. Try a company of bandits that isn't supposed to be there. Try new boys and changes in her own body. And never forget Kel's fear of heights. When Lord Wyldon sends her out to climb trees, walls, and cliffs, is he doing it because he wants to cure her of her fear, or drive her away from the palace?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:49 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

even more....

SQUIRE, the third Protector book, describes Kel's next four years. Her new knight-master is as different from Lord Wyldon as a man can be. He introduces Kel to a new way of life, one that's as much fun as it is hard work. He not only allows her to carry and use her Yamani glaive, but he helps her to take her skill at jousting to the next level, one that introduces Tortall's young knights and squires to a formidable new force on the tournament field. She has the care of a very different new foundling, as well as matters of the heart to consider. Kel meets a wide panorama of new faces, including the Yamani princess Shinkokami and her ladies, a very troubled squire, a baby griffin, and a metal creation like nothing she has ever seen before. Old friends and foes appear: Neal of Queenscove, Cleon of Kennan, Owen of Jesslaw, and the puzzling Joren of Stone Mountain. Through it all, Kel never allows herself to forget what awaits her after her night-long vigil in Midwinter of her fourth year as a squire: the Chamber of the Ordeal.

Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

and more!

LADY KNIGHT, the fourth Protector book, describes Kel's first appearance as a knight of the realm. War with Scanra is declared at last during the book, and Kel finds herself in charge of not a border post or even a portion of the army, but of a refugee camp, placed there by her district commander, Lord Wyldon. She's certain that he does this to keep her out of the fighting, but she also knows that these people, torn from their homes, robbed of their wealth and self-respect, are her responsibility. She must feed them, house them, and keep them safe from harm, on a piece of ground that is far too close to the Scanran border. She will have help, in the shape of her old friends Neal and Merric, the horses Peachblossom and Hoshi, the dog Jump and her personal sparrow flock, but also from as mixed a brew of people as ever came together at one point: the Wildmage called Daine; Daine's lover, the great mage Numair; Neal's own father, Duke Baird of Queenscove; Kel's former knight-master Raoul of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak, and men of the King's Own, including Kel's friend Sergeant Domitan of Masbolle; convict soldiers, who have been given the choice to fight in the army or to die at hard labor; several hundred refugees who have gotten too many empty promises from nobles; smugglers, and a stolid, unusual boy named Tobe.

While Kel struggles with her responsibilities and the urge simply to abandon the camp and find a real fight, another obligation hangs over her. Tied to the camp, she cannot pursue the task set for her by the Chamber of the Ordeal: to find and destroy the mage who is using foul magic to create the rat-like, swift-moving, deadly metallic things known to the Tortallans as "killing devices." As the summer wears on and the war intensifies, events move to put a perverted mage and his conscienceless war-leader in Kel's path, to test her resolve and find out if she is truly worthy of her shield.

Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

chapters one and two of Tricksters choice

http://www.tamora-pierce.com/trickchoi.htm

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:51 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

DEFINITELY READ THIS - the book, the series, all of it!

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 11:52 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Isn't this cool!

Where do you get your ideas?

Some I stumble across: watching his nature programs, I decided British naturalist Sir David Attenborough would make a cool bio-mage: he's the basis for Numair's friend and teacher, Lindhall Reed. Watching my mother and sister produce blankets from balls of yarn and crochet hooks, I thought of it as a kind of magic, and wondered what all could be done with thread magic. Wrestling with my best friend's dove gave me the ideas for Kel's relationship with the baby griffin in SQUIRE. Pictures in magazines also give me ideas, as do stories in the news.

Other ideas come from my past obsessions. From the time I was six or seven until I was ten, I read anything and everything I could find about knights, the Crusades, and the Middle Ages. Then I fell into a new interest and ignored the Crusades: my next area of interest in knighthood was in the fantasy novels and Arthurian legends I read in middle school. I wrote my first book, on a girl disguising herself to serve as a page and squire to achieve her knighthood, without doing any research on medieval life. Except, of course, I had--back when I was very young, reading articles in encyclopedias because I liked finding out more about knights. That was the first time that I realized my old interests could give me ideas. When I got stuck while I wrote LIONESS RAMPANT, I thought about my old obsessions, and drew ideas from that book and for the Queen's Riders from my prolonged binge of books about the Vietnam war in the early 1980s. James Michener's description of a city carved all of rose-red stone in his book THE DRIFTERS, which I read at the age of 15, marked the beginning of my life-long fascination with the city of Petra, in Jordan, which I shaped to become the Black City in ALANNA: THE FIRST ADVENTURE and Chammur in STREET MAGIC. My long fascination with crime and criminals has given me fuel for The Circle Opens quartet.

Another way I get ideas is from people. My Random House editor, Mallory Loehr, suggested that Kel be a commander, very different from my usual loner heroes. (I wasn't sure if I could write someone who works well with others!) My agent Craig Tenney pointed out that in the final action of the first draft of STREET MAGIC Evvy virtually disappeared; he just couldn't see Evvy sitting about, waiting to be rescued. It's due to input from my husband Tim that Lord Wyldon and all Stormwings are not capital-E Evil. My friend Raquel has always been fascinated by animation and making non-living things seem real, like the shoe that was destroyed by Dip in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and the computer-animated carpet in "Aladdin." She talked about those things so much that a part of my brain grabbed onto the idea that objects, things, could become characters. That turned into the darkings of THE REALMS OF THE GODS, the living blots that became characters in their own right.

Current events and history are also fertile ground for ideas. I was driven to write one of my most effective 15-minute radio plays based on the case of a subway vigilante in New York in the 1980's; I got a short story out of a group of well-to-do kids tormenting people in Central Park and another short story out of my feelings about the Taliban's treatment of women (written over a year before the events of September 11, 2001). I based Dedicate Skyfire, Winding Circle's chief defender, on a Civil War general and am about to develop a character based on the French statesman Talleyrand, a tricky piece of work by all accounts. Shannon Faulkner and other women who have entered military schools fueled The Protector of the Small; the cholera outbreaks in Rwanda and Zaire of the early 1990s led to The Circle of Magic: BRIAR'S BOOK. Keep a file of events and figures that interest you; it might prove useful one day.

The best way to prepare to have ideas when you need them is to listen to and encourage your obsessions. Watch and re-watch all the TV programs and movies you have a need to watch (I lost count of how many time I watched the Richard Lester verson of "The Three Musketeers" and its sequel "The Four Musketeers" (I passed 17 viewings while I was still in college); read and re-read all the books, magazines and comic books; visit all the museums, zoos, galleries, concerts and wilderness areas; and listen to all the kinds of music that interest you. If you get a sudden passion for anything and everything to do with, say, gang warfare, starling behavior, painting frescoes, or jousting, go with the urge. Find out all you can. Even if you can't use it right away, it'll go into some holding zone deep in your brain, and surface when you need it. All creative people--not just writers!--expose themselves to as much information, in as many forms, as possible, in the hopes that it will be useful down the road, or even right now. You never know what will spark something new!

((I do understand you will only find it cool if you are a FantasyFreak like me!))

Old Post Jan 5th, 2004 12:11 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

So, with Trickster's choice, Alanna's daughter has been captured and sold as a slave in the copper Isles... HAs any one else read it yet?

Old Post Jan 14th, 2004 02:12 PM
Summoner_Yunie
Beauty Fades Away

TRICKSTER'S QUEEN (Random House hardcover, September 28, 2004): In the spring after the events of TRICKSTER'S CHOICE, Aly and the Balitangs return to the capital of Rajmuat, to drastically different lives. Young Elsren Balitang is now heir to King Dunevon; both boys are five years old. Mequen's dragon great-aunt Nuritin has established herself in the Balitang townhouse to guide Winnamine, Sarai, and Dove on their new life at court, establishing alliances for Elsren. The outer isles are showing signs of revolt, as is Rajmuat itself. Ulasim, the head footman, now moves into his own as the farsighted general of the rebellion, with Fesgao as his warchief, Chenaol as armorer, and Ochobu and her fellow mage Ysul coordinating the magical side of the struggle.

At the heart of it all is Aly, now coordinating her own trained spies as they embark on a program of psychological warfare and sabotage in the capital and the palace. Aly's partially romantic relationship with Nawat, the former crow, is also in trouble. He needs work to keep him busy, but there is little demand for a fletcher in the city, and Aly continues to see his usefulness primarily in crow terms. The trickster god Kyprioth is there, too, stirring things up, trying to heighten the rebels' progress before his fellow gods Mithros and the Great Mother can return to put a halt to his comeback.

As the rebellion builds, new players come Aly's way. First there is the man called Topabaw, for years the master of the Isles' spies and the bogeyman with which luarin and raka nursemaids alike threaten their charges if they misbehave. Aly soon comes to see that for the raka rebels and their co-conspirators to take her city, she must first destroy Topabaw, who everyone believes is indestructible. She also finds another potential foe in the captain of King Dunevon's personal guards, a big, personable fellow named Taybur Sibigat, who realizes Aly is up to something the moment he lays eyes on her. Aunt Nuritin proves to be more than just a fierce chaperon. There are new additions to Aly's pack of spies. And old friends, or rather, new incarnations of old friends come into the picture when Aly receives a delightful present from her aunt: a collection of the small, glob-like creatures called darkings, who played such a pivotal role in THE REALMS OF THE GODS. As they are quick to tell her, what one of them knows, they all know.

The Balitang ladies are busy, too. Dove, tired of waiting for an invitation, includes herself in a meeting of the heads of the raka rebellion, and goes right to work helping to smooth her sister's path to the throne. Sarai still is not aware of the rebellion's purpose. She only knows that people turn out to see her whenever she rides with her noble friends and with her family. Both they and Winnamine are treading very carefully at court, where King Dunevon's regents are on the alert for any challenge to their power, and growing tired of kowtowing to their five-year-old charge. They will stop at nothing to ensure their grip on power in the Isles, unless the raka prophecy is true at last, and the Twice-Royal Queen is ready to return rule to the native people of the Isles.

Aly, her friends, and her foes, have a long, complex struggle before them as they encounter success, failure, and sudden surprises, because no one person, or god, can control everything everywhere throughout the Isles. There are all kinds of mistakes to be made, allegiances to develop, and battles to endure until the world knows, once and for all, who will be the Trickster's Queen. (Click here to read a sample from TRICKSTER'S QUEEN).

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 06:46 PM
Summoner_Yunie is currently offline Click here to Send Summoner_Yunie a Private Message Find more posts by Summoner_Yunie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Summoner_Yunie
Beauty Fades Away

This is a link to the sample of Trickster's Queen. This comes after Trickster's Choice and is coming out September 28, 2004.Trickster's Queen

Old Post Jul 30th, 2004 06:49 PM
Summoner_Yunie is currently offline Click here to Send Summoner_Yunie a Private Message Find more posts by Summoner_Yunie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote