KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Republic

The Republic
Started by: hh?

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

The Republic

Has anyone read The Republic by Plato?

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 01:54 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

Plato? hocky you do read some impressive literature.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 08:03 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Asami
Vicious and Malicious

I have, not because I wanted to but because I had to study it.

I think the similie of the cave is the easiest to understand. The line and the divided line never caught much of my attention but I have a vague idea.
The similie of the sun can be compared to the belief of the Hindu religion, about growth, start off as something small then gradually get there, in Plato's case Knowledge.

I liked the ship similie as well when he talks politics.

The captain is us, i.e. citizens being manipulated by the crew, telling us what to do, the crew being politicians/soveriegns.

However the Philosopher is supposed to be the one who knows *everything* knows where to lead the ship but instead he's just playing the role of the ship's ****, the star gaeler.

If Philosopher's were to rule the state, its supposed to be the best ruling state ever - what i gathered from the political side of the Republic.

But by using the example of the ship, if the philosopher is not going to speak up about knowing the direction, how would s/he overcome the crew (politicians) to be listened to?
So if philosophers don't speak up, we'd not know about them being great leaders in society.

Check out what you can do with the title though, when you delete a few letters:

Plato = The Republic

At The Pub big grin big grin

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 10:17 PM
Asami is currently offline Click here to Send Asami a Private Message Find more posts by Asami Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I have and the Socratic Dialogues are my most favorite!! big grin The hardest part of the Republic is the philosophy that is in it. I really enjoy the metaphors of the cave and the charioteer, but for some reason Plato makes it feel like if Socrates comes to life in his speeches. A great work of Western civilization indeed. smile

Old Post Feb 10th, 2004 11:21 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

A lot.
It Is lost somewhere under my bed next to other politics books.
This is more a political book that cares with the political and admistration organization than a philosofical essay.

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 07:43 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote