KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Hemmingway!

Hemmingway!
Started by: amity75

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
amity75

Hemmingway!

I've always meant to read some of his stuff but don't know if I'd like him or not. Is he worth a read? or is he a chauvinistic oaf as I've been told by a few people. What would be the best book to start with?

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 06:13 PM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Corlindel
Noldor

Hemingway is great. One of my favorites.

For first book I advise you to read "Fiesta" and then "For whom the bell toulls".

I like especially the First Chapter "Bimini" of the book "Islands in the stream" I think this is the english name for "Ilhas na corrente", the portuguese translation, but I am not sure.

Por minha Dama
«...et tu seras pour moi unique au monde, et je serais pour toi unique au monde...»

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 07:34 PM
Corlindel is currently offline Click here to Send Corlindel a Private Message Find more posts by Corlindel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

excellent author

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2004 08:03 PM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amity75

quote:
Originally posted by Corlindel
Hemingway is great. One of my favorites.

For first book I advise you to read "Fiesta" and then "For whom the bell toulls".

I like especially the First Chapter "Bimini" of the book "Islands in the stream" I think this is the english name for "Ilhas na corrente", the portuguese translation, but I am not sure.
Cheers for that!

Post in the Indiana Jones forum.

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 11:22 AM
amity75 is currently offline Click here to Send amity75 a Private Message Find more posts by amity75 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

I personally dislike Hemingway's style, but you should definitely read at least one of his works

Old Post Feb 15th, 2004 07:17 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaleanae

I don't know why but I like his novels, The Sun Also Rises is great, I didn't like the bullfighting that much. I also read Farewell to Arms and I really liked.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2004 06:20 AM
Kaleanae is currently offline Click here to Send Kaleanae a Private Message Find more posts by Kaleanae Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I'm reading A Farewell to Arms, and I hate it.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Feb 25th, 2007 06:26 PM
ToMacco is currently offline Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

his novels aren't worth much, but his short stories can be extremely tasty.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2007 08:38 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Re: Hemmingway!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by amity75
I've always meant to read some of his stuff but don't know if I'd like him or not. Is he worth a read?

No. A Farewell to Arms is the worst book I've ever read.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2007 09:47 PM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I haven't read any of the man's work, but do have Sun Also Rises in my room somewhere, I was told by someone that it's similar in some elements to Fight Club... anyone?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2007 10:59 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I dated a girl once who was an ardent feminist and still loved Hemingway. Fun stuff.

You have to like his style. He's very bare, and many of his characters fall into archetypes that become instantly recognizable across his work. But that's not necessarily bad.

My favorite Hemingway: A collection of short stories called In Our Time about WWI (though it never really mentions the war directly). Superb stuff.

Never really got into the novels much...I've read them, but I just don't like them. I think he's a better short story writer. He can do the same thing in 12 pages that he does in 200...and it's a good result, but the short story is the same material without all of the austere "filler". But that's me.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2007 11:07 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doomsday49
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you hate long winded sentence fill with unnecessary adjectives, if you hate poetic elements in a prose and if you like manly characters being humbled by his surroundings and if you like sad depressing endings...........then Hemingway is for you. Peace.

my life rap isn't for the weak or feeble/ my youth was no sunshine the grind'll eat you/ they say learn from the past history can teach you/ but if i live backward all i see is evil.....Doomsday biatch!!!!!

Old Post Mar 26th, 2007 02:05 AM
doomsday49 is currently offline Click here to Send doomsday49 a Private Message Find more posts by doomsday49 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

his style doesnt transfer very well to the modern times, but niether does most of the greats. I agree with Phoenix in saying that you should read atleast one of his works. just like kafka

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2007 01:48 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

He's definitely chauvanistic. And definitely good. The Sun Also Rises is brilliant. The short-stories are also wonderful.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2007 10:08 PM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by manorastroman
his novels aren't worth much, but his short stories can be extremely tasty.

Co-signed. I don't much like the novels, but his short stories are excellent. I personally recommend "In Our Time", a superb collection of short stories surrounding the first World War.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2007 10:56 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

The Son Also Rises and A Farewell To Arms are two of his best works. Superb reading..

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 15th, 2007 07:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

You must be high.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2007 02:06 PM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
You must be high.

I read his novels at a very young age and read them once more a few years ago. Once again superb reading.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 25th, 2007 08:24 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote