KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Vernon God Little

Vernon God Little
Started by: Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Vernon God Little

Has anyone else read this? It's very good, but probably not for youngsters - theres a swearword pratically every sentence, and some strong sexual references.

Some people say its a modern Catcher in the Rye, and I suppose there are some similarities, but I think I preferred this to Catcher in the Rye.

Having said that, I can't say I loved this. it was interesting and eye-opoening, but I don't think I'd read it again. I encourage everybody to read it once tho!

Old Post May 10th, 2004 08:53 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

what it about phoe?

Old Post May 18th, 2004 04:08 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

It's about a boy who's up for genocide. Its more sort of character developpy than plotty...

Old Post May 24th, 2004 09:46 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Well, has anyone read Catcher in the Rye? It'd be cool to do kinda comparison of the two...

((could the thread maybe be renamed 'Catcher in the Rye/Vernon God Little' ?))

Old Post Jun 11th, 2004 12:22 PM
Anoushka
The Vampire Anoushka

i saw my friend reading it but i didnt pay muh attn...he did seem to be rather interested innit tho....lol...sexual references eh... now i know why he's so into that devil hahaha...i'm gonna try readin it...

Old Post Jun 12th, 2004 03:32 PM
Anoushka is currently offline Click here to Send Anoushka a Private Message Find more posts by Anoushka Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

It's very depressing and paints a rather bleak picture of white Americans

Old Post Jun 12th, 2004 05:38 PM
Alf0nse

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix
It's very depressing and paints a rather bleak picture of white Americans

Hi I'm new here, thought I'd chuck in my two penneth worth regarding the book.

I found it dark but funny and to be honest quite uplifting, it did remind me of catcher in the rye -but I prefered VGL. I read CIR as a kid after being told that it was essential teenage reading & that "every kid could relate to holden caufield". I liked the book, but I couldn't relate to caufield at all. I didn't know any 16 year old that could afford to do what he did whereas Vernon Little was more of my social equal.

There's alot in the book that isn't fully explained which is a good thing imho & the sexual side of things doesn't bother me. Vernon is a 15 year old boy not a monk & his (& other characters) sexual preferences do drive the narrative. Without these urges, you would only have half a book.

I don't know if it does reflect on white americans too badly, the author is very sympathetic towards Pam' his mother's overweight friend & the central character's opinions of other people shift throughout the book. If you take the author himself into account he's a british guy who was brought up in various different oarts of the world, who in his teens and early twenties threw himself headfirst into what the seedier side of mexico had to offer.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2004 10:34 AM
Alf0nse is currently offline Click here to Send Alf0nse a Private Message Find more posts by Alf0nse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote