KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Love in 1984

Love in 1984
Started by: Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Love in 1984

What different kinds of love do you think there are? How are they portrayed?

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 09:41 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Do you mean the novel by George Orwell? There is the superficial love affair between Smith and Julia and then the bond between Smith and O'Brian. O'Brian would be like Smith's alter ego, but within the Party.

The 'love' for the Party's iconic head 'Big Brother' is simply mindless acquiescense. In an invasive regime it causes guilt to go against the government.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 05:36 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I'm reading the book at the moment, and I definately don't think Winston and Julia are truly "in love".

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 06:27 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

wink I'm just cheating... I have an essay that was set today and due in next week, and its gotta be 3000 words! eek!

So any ideas of what I can write about? I thought of Winston+Julia, W+Obrien, Winstons mother and her children, love of BB, love of country...

Old Post Mar 17th, 2004 10:12 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Winston and Julia struck me as being an attraction soley because they both were against the Party. "It is comfort in misery to have companions in woe." The way an invasive regime works on the mind is portrayed well. Smith says, "I hate goodness," when she confesses to being a real ****. In a fascistic regime, going against the government causes visceral guilt, even if the thought criminal knows intellectually that they are in the right.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 03:59 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

You could mention how well Orwell predicted the importance of TV's in the future. You could also mention how much has been "borrowed" from the book by various sources:

Room 101 - The TV programme.
Big Brother - The term now used for CCTV type surveillance
2+2=5 - A song title by Radiohead (I assumed this one to be honest)

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 08:04 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

BTW, for my services you can now find me the difference between 3PL and 4PL companies. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 08:09 PM
big gay kirk

the only true love as we would know it in the book is the unconditional love shown by Winston's mother to her children... knowing that she has not long with them she still comforts them, and goes out to buy the game... Winston's "love " for Julia is simply a shared dislike of the system.. the affair ultimately fails due to the differences in their dislikes (Winston's being an ideological and intellectual dislike, Julia's a personal and physical one...) Apart from that the only thing we could recognise as "love" is the desire and lust for powerr held by the Party...

Old Post Mar 18th, 2004 10:50 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Don't forget Wiston's final love in the novel [SPOILER - highlight to read]: His love for Big Brother and the State

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 12:03 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

The Inner Party are a set of psychopaths. They actually know that their only motivation is to make everyone else suffer!

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 07:54 AM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Hmmmm, I've had bosses like that...

Old Post Mar 19th, 2004 04:03 PM
shaber
schizoid

I've known people like that too sad But remember [SPOILER - highlight to read]: O'Brian actually SAYS that it is part of their doctrine to make everyone suffer?

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 07:38 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by mechmoggy
BTW, for my services you can now find me the difference between 3PL and 4PL companies. stick out tongue

blink the only thing I remeber from gcse business studies is PLC, Ltd and BOGOF! laughing out loud

Old Post Mar 20th, 2004 04:23 PM
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

Bah, you're no help! wink

Old Post Mar 21st, 2004 11:08 PM