KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Runaway Jury: Review

The Runaway Jury: Review
Started by: digitalfortress

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
digitalfortress

The Runaway Jury: Review

Hey,
I am a big fan of John Grisham, and recently one of my school assignments is 2 review a book that you like. Here is my review of John Grisham's The Runaway Jury......Please maake ANY changes you like to make it better. I worked pretty hard trying to get something to work with, but i am not good in english. So please help me out.
Thx| DIGITAL FORTRESS

The Runaway Jury is a very interesting book which tells the story of a tobacco company being sued by the wife of a customer who died of lung cancer after smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day for nearly 30 years. John Grisham starts the book strong but slows in down for a lengthy time explaining the Judicial System in a way that you won’t see it in a newspapers or in televisions. I have never been to a real courtroom, nor have I seen witnessed any sort of a trial preceding. But Grisham in detail described the atmosphere, the way things work and how unethical the lawyers will become to bring out a verdict from the juror’s that can be acceptable by their clients.
The plaintiff puts forth a strong case trying to brainwash the jury about the dangers of tobacco, while the defense argues that smoking is a matter of choice, and that if you smoke, you have to learn to live with the consequences. You may think that is where the story ends, but actually that’s where the story begins. Things start to happen in the jury room, and the jury box, which reveals that the jury is being controlled from the inside. Nicholas Easter (juror #2) is controlling the jury, and the final verdict is his. Working with a girl name Marlee, Easter shows the world that he can do anything with the jury.
John Grisham’s the Runaway Jury is a book written in a third person view so that the emotion of every character is made clear to the reader. Every character in this book is unique and realistic. This book has every quality to be turned into a non-fiction book. The dialogues are written in a brilliant way making me feel as if the conversation is taking place right in front of my eyes.
“Go Back to fifty-six,” Fitch demanded, and Carl flicked rapidly until the face of Nicholas Easter was once again on the wall. Paperwork ruffled around the table.
“What do you know?” Fitch asked.
“The same. Nothing.” Carl said, looking away.
“That’s just great. Out of a hundred and ninety six, how many are still mysterious?”
”Eight.”
Fitch snorted and shook his head slowly, and everyone waited for an eruption. Instead, he slowly stroked his meticulously trimmed black and gray goatee for a few seconds, looked at Carl, allowing the severity of the moment to filter in, and then said, “You’ll work until midnight, then return at seven in the morning. Same for Sunday.” With that, he wheeled his pudgy body around and left the room.
Another fascinating thing about this book is that for once, John Grisham’s lead character is not a lawyer (he did do two years in law school, but that doesn’t qualify him to be a lawyer.) But this character has a lot of the same personalities as his other main characters in other books. For example Nicholas Easter widely skilled, very academic, well-educated and bright-headed, characteristics needed to become a lawyer.
The Runaway Jury is a great book. Actually it was so great that when I read it, I had serious problems stopping because it captured me so. Together with a great story the book offers you guidance and gives you things to think about when it comes to the question if we can punish the tobacco companies for supplying us smokers with cigarettes, a matter which is wildly debated almost everywhere in today’s society.
In The Runaway Jury, John Grisham describes the trial and all its surrounding matters. All of the trial books, and movies, that I have seen or read prior to The Runaway Jury, have always been told from the high paying lawyer’s side of the courtroom, the jurors perspective, really appealed to me. By showing this side he brings some new perspectives into the genre.
There is one thing that I would change however, and that is that there are too many minor characters in this book which make it difficult for the reader to understand the book at times. Sometimes I had to go back and re-read some of the paragraphs so that I know what Grisham is talking about.
John Grisham takes the reader through a very important and realistic trial that can shape the tobacco company of the future. The intrigue is brilliant and the turns and twists the book takes, often chocked and surprised me. The book is captivating and amusing and clearly everyone should read it. The book starts quickly, slows down mid way, and finishes strong.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2004 12:33 AM
digitalfortress is currently offline Click here to Send digitalfortress a Private Message Find more posts by digitalfortress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I'm about to watch the movie...does it follow the book well?

Old Post Mar 21st, 2004 05:10 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
digitalfortress

nope.
the movie is about a gun producer being sued my a wife whos husband was killed by a gun made by that company.
movie is allrite though

Old Post Mar 21st, 2004 07:46 PM
digitalfortress is currently offline Click here to Send digitalfortress a Private Message Find more posts by digitalfortress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

yeah the book was about a tobacco company..your right the movie was ok though smile

Old Post Mar 21st, 2004 10:28 PM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote