KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Richard Matheson

Richard Matheson
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Richard Matheson

By far, Richard Matheson is my absolute favorite author, but I never have any news about himself, or his projects. His last book was "Hunted Past Reason" in 2001, since then I haven't heard anything. Has anyone else?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Apr 27th, 2005 02:55 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I guess not. Does anyone here like his books? Or even heard of him?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2005 11:48 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

i am legend' is awesome

if u can reccomend some more then i would be grateful

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 19th, 2005 09:54 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

"I Am Legend" is a classic. Matheson has a talent for short stories, both horror and sci-fi. One collection of short stories is called "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", and it has some bad ass stories therein. You've probably watched more than one of the movie adaptations of his books. "Stir of Echoes" (Kevin Bacon) is one of them. Remember that episode (or sequence from the movie) of The Twilight Zone where the man is on the airplane and sees the gremlin on the wing, but nobody believes him? That is Matheson's work. The Shrinking Man is also a great one, as is Duel. Remember Duel? Thats the story about the man in the car "battling" a rogue 18 wheeler. It was also the very first movie that Steven Spielberg directed. He also has a knack for romance novels, both of which were made into movies, Somewhere in Time (Christopher Reeve & Jane Seymore) and What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams & Cuba Gooding Jr.). His most recent novel in "Hunted Past Reason", a suspense thriller novel about two men hiking in the deep wilderness of Yellowstone Park, and one hiker "snaps" and psychotically and sadistically chases and tortures the other hiker. My personal favorite is "Hell House", the grand daddy KING of haunted house novels. This is one of the few books I have ever read that actually made me sleep with my lights on. You won't be disappointed by any of Matheson's novels you read. Period! smile

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 12:34 PM
Deano

sweet i'll check em out

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2005 05:17 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

*bump*

Just wanyed to let y'all know:

I just read his latest novel, "Woman", and I was sorely disappointed.

Still, I recommend Matheson to anyone who is a sci-fi/horror fan fan.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2007 12:48 PM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

I Am Legend was a very good book.. left me disappointed by the film but that is for another thread.

I was totally absorbed in I Am Legend though it was very well written.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 05:18 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Meh. I thought the I Am Legend book was a take-it-or-leave-it kind of thing.

And I read it after I saw the movie, which I enjoyed immensely.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2008 08:48 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

quote: (post)
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Meh. I thought the I Am Legend book was a take-it-or-leave-it kind of thing.

And I read it after I saw the movie, which I enjoyed immensely.

it was the other way round for me.. I read the book before seeing the movie which left me disappointed with the film.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2008 12:39 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
The book really isn't the great work it's been made out to be, in this thread. The movie's not a gem either, it was alright, but not great. Same goes for the book, it's basically a modern Romantic novel, that borrows from works of the Romantic and Gothic eras.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jan 10th, 2008 03:26 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote