KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Silmarillion

Silmarillion
Started by: Light Warrior

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Light Warrior

Silmarillion

Anyone here read it? It's another tolkien book. It's about what happened before the third age and how middle earth was created. It's really cool. It's an elf that fight all existed balrogs for a long time and a elven king that damages the dark lord, (morgoth, wich is a giant, and 20 times bigger then the elf) It is really nice..

The Guardeen has croxxed da gote

[b][color=brown]A tvviizt myth.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2007 05:53 PM
Light Warrior is currently offline Click here to Send Light Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Light Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Hehe. I'll bite, since I've read it.

Even for Tolkien enthusiasts, this can be a tough read. Parts of it read much more like a history than an adventure tale.

But yes, it's a highly interesting if you can get through it. Tolkien himself was much more emotionally involved with The Simarillion than even the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He spent longer writing the parts of Sim., edited and revised it numerous times, and didn't even have it published during his lifetime because he was never fully happy with it (Tolkien was a voracious editor of his own work). It was only posthumously that his son Christopher put together the various parts and had them published.

The names "Beren and Luthien" are inscribed on Tolkien's and his wife's tombstones, respectively....a telling sign of how close the tale was to his heart.

And yeah, Morgoth (Melkor), is Sauron's original master, and a "god" in Tolkien's mythology. If you think of, say, Odin or Zeus turning evil, you have an idea of what Morgoth was.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 12:48 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 02:09 AM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by masterkit
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...on+forumid%3A67

Search Engine? Kay. Thanks. wink

Boo. I posted in this one though, so it's automatically better.

*pushes for a merge instead of closing this one*

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 12:53 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

I love the Silmarillion.

Those stories/history that Tolkien gives is absolutely without a doubt better IMO, than LOTR.

I wouldn't call Melkor a god, he was more a High Spirit.

There was only ONE god in Tolkiens Silmarillion, and that was Eru Ilúvatar.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 05:36 AM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Meh, I interpret it into comic book terminology (dork, I know). The Iluvatar = God (as in The Actual Lone Creator). Whereas Morgoth = Zeus/Odin....people who call themselves "gods" but didn't really have a hand in creation itself. It helps me represent it in terms of power scales.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2007 11:04 PM