KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Catcher in the Rye

Catcher in the Rye
Started by: DigiMark007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Catcher in the Rye

I'm teaching it right now, to high school sophomores. Any suggestions?

wink

...also, any comments or observations about the book (since I'd be in a bad way if I were fishing for teaching strategies on an internet forum). I like it. Can only handle it in small chunks, because it's too depressing otherwise, but the wild, erratic stream of consciousness style and struggle between innocence and maturity works for me.

Also very amusing at times, and highly quotable.

smile

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 12:52 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Re: Catcher in the Rye

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007

...also, any comments or observations about the book (

smile

Only that it's the best American novel ever written; I consider The great Gatsby French that where Fitzgerald's lived.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 01:13 AM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

Re: Re: Catcher in the Rye

Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Only that it's the best American novel ever written; I consider The great Gatsby French that where Fitzgerald's lived.

you're not very well read, are you?

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 05:22 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Sorry, I don't proofread.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2007 10:10 PM
Blue_Hefner is currently offline Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

try me smile

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 08:58 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Bit nutty.

It's by an American, about America.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 02:28 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

so much so that the original title was "under the red, white, and blue"

Old Post Mar 7th, 2007 11:14 PM
Blue_Hefner

Originally posted by manorastroman
try me smile

???

Old Post Mar 8th, 2007 09:56 PM
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Catcher in the Rye is a book that I hear it great.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 07:16 AM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Seriously, what the f*ck are you talking about?

I love The Great Gatsby, by the way. Especially the way Fitzgerald called places 'Egg'. Love it.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2007 10:32 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zeldaboyz

i have to say Catcher in the Rye suck, i dont understand what point in that story, and i dont enjoy too much of swearings in that book, drive me to tear that book and throw it away in trash, disgusted that i wasted money that book, but i dont understand why my teacher want me to read it, my english teacher never tell me whole points, she want me to reread it all over again, i was like what? NO WAY! i guess can anybody tell me whole point in that book??

Old Post May 29th, 2007 10:19 PM
zeldaboyz is currently offline Click here to Send zeldaboyz a Private Message Find more posts by zeldaboyz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by zeldaboyz
i have to say Catcher in the Rye suck, i dont understand what point in that story, and i dont enjoy too much of swearings in that book, drive me to tear that book and throw it away in trash, disgusted that i wasted money that book, but i dont understand why my teacher want me to read it, my english teacher never tell me whole points, she want me to reread it all over again, i was like what? NO WAY! i guess can anybody tell me whole point in that book??

It's about the transition from the innocent world of childhood to the experienced, jaded, cynical world of adulthood, and the struggles connected with that change in lifestyle and perspective. No one who teaches it is going to be able to avoid that for the entire novel, and I find it hard to believe you didn't do anything with the book except read it (and "re-read" it when you were finished).

Oh! It's also about proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Yeah. Definitely about that too.

no expression

Old Post May 30th, 2007 03:23 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zeldaboyz

sorry, i am still lost!

Old Post May 30th, 2007 04:05 PM
zeldaboyz is currently offline Click here to Send zeldaboyz a Private Message Find more posts by zeldaboyz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EFFPS

It's a good book, and Digi pretty much summarized the point of the book, and the message of it.

Simply put, growing up isn't that easy, and you might encounter some obstacles.

I still can't figure out how it inspired that guy Mark something to kill John Lennon. He even hired a prostitute just to talk with her like Holden did!

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2007 02:33 AM
EFFPS is currently offline Click here to Send EFFPS a Private Message Find more posts by EFFPS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zeldaboyz

really?? u means in real world?? wow

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2007 04:18 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by EFFPS
I still can't figure out how it inspired that guy Mark something to kill John Lennon. He even hired a prostitute just to talk with her like Holden did!

Holden's messed up and pissed at the world. A lot of "crazies" are too, and use Holden's character as sort of a rallying point for their own misguided tendencies, not realizing that the author uses the ending to undermine Holden's life choices, painting a bleak picture of such a random cynical lifestyle.

Mel Gibson's character in "Conspiracy Theory" has multiple copies of the book, for instance.

So I doubt it was a specific passage or whatever that inspired the dude....it was probably just moral justification for an idea he already had planted in his head.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2007 06:30 PM
Blue_Hefner

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Holden's messed up and pissed at the world. A lot of "crazies" are too, and use Holden's character as sort of a rallying point for their own misguided tendencies, not realizing that the author uses the ending to undermine Holden's life choices, painting a bleak picture of such a random cynical lifestyle.

I believe he refers to them as "phonies".

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 12:50 PM
yvonnekarate
Frank Sinatra fan

We had it in the first year in high school (in English class). I liked it very much, I found it very intriguing. I can't say I have any good sugestions for you, sorry.

Regards, Yvonne

- Reader, I married him (Jane Eyre)
The happiness now, will be part of the pain then.
Teaching is an act of love.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 01:55 PM
yvonnekarate is currently offline Click here to Send yvonnekarate a Private Message Find more posts by yvonnekarate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Ha...I got confused.

I thought we talked about the Great Gatsby.

Which somehow....didn't fit with the general discussion after Floo's post.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 02:44 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keith Talent
-

I just read it a few months and ago and I liked it a lot. I'm sick of all the people who say all that Holden does is complain. He gets troubled by all the hypocrisy around him and when he sees it in himself he gets sad. Its about trying to hold on to your childish innocence and also being an adult at the same time.

and what with people saying that there's too much swearing.... there's many more popular books that have a lot more swearing in it.

Last edited by Keith Talent on Jun 15th, 2007 at 06:50 AM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 06:48 AM
Keith Talent is currently offline Click here to Send Keith Talent a Private Message Find more posts by Keith Talent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote