KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Author Seeking opinions

Author Seeking opinions
Started by: MarkHockley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MarkHockley

Author Seeking opinions

Hi everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Hockley and I have just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. For openers, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? What draws us to decide to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book?

Old Post May 12th, 2007 08:27 AM
MarkHockley is currently offline Click here to Send MarkHockley a Private Message Find more posts by MarkHockley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MarkHockley
Hi everyone,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Hockley and I have just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. For openers, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? What draws us to decide to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book?

I would say probably the media attention. Yes, people are stupid, they buy what they think their friends would buy.

Old Post May 12th, 2007 09:34 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I usually go by the strength of the synopsis, and, I'll also check out trustworthy reviews beforehand. But, I suppose a bit of hype is essential to getting your book popular.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post May 12th, 2007 02:46 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

First, what is your book?

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post May 13th, 2007 02:38 PM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MarkHockley

Apologies

Sorry, I meant to attach a picturel of my cover, but I'm new to message boards so forgive me. You should be able to find my book on Amazon if you look under my name. Be glad to know what you think of the cover. Thanks for all of your replies so far.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 06:09 PM
MarkHockley is currently offline Click here to Send MarkHockley a Private Message Find more posts by MarkHockley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kero_Co
One Track Lover

Well, the cover diffenitely catches my attention. I like things to look nice. Also, descriptions of the book is probably even more influencing to me.
For example:
When two teenage boys, Tom Lewis and Jack Barton, climb the gigantic oak at the bottom of Tom's garden they embark on a journey that takes them toward adulthood, a change embracing both enlightenment and loss. Finding themselves in a dangerous, alien realm, where dreams and reality seem to interweave and deception is at the heart of everything, they come under the malevolent influence of a creature known as the White Wolf. What had began as a childish adventure is in fact something far darker and deeper, for the Wolf is playing a momentous game, an arcane puzzle that must be resolved. The boys walk a dark road of treachery and pain, love and lust, sacrifice and redemption. Friendship and loyalty are put to the test and corruption comes in many guises. Finally, truth can only be revealed through pain and forfeit. It is a journey into the heart of darkness where nothing and no-one are what they seem and the rules are the logic of a dream.
The description is very enticing and right up my alley.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 07:45 PM
Kero_Co is currently offline Click here to Send Kero_Co a Private Message Find more posts by Kero_Co Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MarkHockley

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the positive comments. I really hope, if you decide to give my novel a go, that you enjoy it! It would be great to get some independent feedback.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 09:08 PM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by MarkHockley
Hi,

Thanks for the positive comments. I really hope, if you decide to give my novel a go, that you enjoy it! It would be great to get some independent feedback.

I just looked it up. Though it doesn't sound like my traditional read, I may well give it a go. If, or when I do read it, I will be happy to give you feedback.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 09:58 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MarkHockley

More thanks!

That would be great! I think at this stage getting feedback is worth its weight in gold. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 10:35 PM
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I think your description is rather generic. Phrases like "Friendship and loyalty are put to the test" get thrown around a lot, it seems to me, and don't really convery anything. At the same time, it's rather overblown, throwing around a lot of grandiose phrases without really saying much. "Ordinary people who are pulled into a magical land" is an overplayed genre, so you have to convince people that your work stands appart.

The picture of the boys on the cover make it look like a children's book--whether it is or not, I don't know. The picture of the Wolf is rather ugly, lending a somewhat amaturish air to the thing.

My advise would be to try to get some more exposure; if you type "Magic Lands" "Mark Hockley" into Google, you only get three results. People can't be interested in your book if they've never heard of it. If your publisher is handling that side of things, they need to do a better job.

My two cents.

Old Post May 16th, 2007 11:30 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kero_Co
One Track Lover

Harsh, but ultimately true. However, the friendship and loyalty thing is almost a must if you are going to have multi-dimensional characters.

Old Post May 17th, 2007 02:43 PM
Kero_Co is currently offline Click here to Send Kero_Co a Private Message Find more posts by Kero_Co Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I'm not complaining about friendship and loyalty being put to the test in his book. I'm simply suggesting that the phrase is extremely banal and generic; if you put it into Google, you will find that it appears verbatim on the back of another novel (Blood Brothers) and in everything else from opera reviews to a movie preview to fanfiction summaries.

Old Post May 18th, 2007 03:28 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Depends on the target audience though, I suppose. That phrase was coined to attract a certain type of audience, and it's obviously been successful. If that's the same audience this book is aiming for, then I see no harm.

Old Post May 18th, 2007 04:50 AM
pcp

Media hype is good, but if the book is good enough it will be read regardless.

Old Post May 18th, 2007 10:57 AM
pcp is currently offline Click here to Send pcp a Private Message Find more posts by pcp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azure
Your socks taste good...

oooooh, pretty wolfie....I love wolves! I may give it a try just for the wolf!

seems like an ok story, judging from the back of the binding, but it does seem a little clique. there needs to be something that makes it different from all the other novels where the children get chucked into a magical world.

also, I have a question: HOW DID YOU GET IT PUBLISHED?!??!!?! my grandma and I have been writing a fantasy novel of our own for some time now, and its almost done, but we are at a loss as to what to do next!

Old Post May 18th, 2007 02:08 PM
Azure is currently offline Click here to Send Azure a Private Message Find more posts by Azure Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngelxWings
xx. Angel~

First of all, being a fellow writer myself, I have also wondered about this troublesome topic. How to attract a reader?

I picture first a flower. What draws, say a honeybee, to the flower? First, sight. The cover must be decorative, mysterious, colorful, alluring... A bland cover may also draw in a reader's attention. For this, you must match a personality. For instance, the flower may not attract the honeybee but the hummingbird instead. Either way, it still gets pollinated...erm..read.

Secondly, it attracts by scent. For this I mean that it must immediately spark the attention. This can be found on the back of the book, or inside the flap as the reader browses through.

Another way is by one bee "dancing" to another. In this form of vivid communication, the insects will follow it straight to the source. By word of mouth, the book is found. A good review will also do the job.

The final and most vital step, is the passion and health of the book you read. Unlike stilled pieces of paper wrapped in clever bindings, the book must have a heart and soul to it. This is up to the author in question. For the first chapter must hook them in and drag them along for the ride. It must enrapt the reader in a world of their own and let them thrive off what the author feeds it. When you end the story abruptly, you starve the reader, making them ravenous for more. If the story goes on and on with clear delights of every turn, the reader will grow so fat and satisfied with his or her feast they will become addicted to your work.

For me, what catches my eye is:
♥ Romance
♥ Historic Fiction / Nonfiction
♥ Adventure
♥ Soft Murder
♥ Strong Beliefs

In this sense, I can actually feel the writer calling to me. I am drawn to historic books the most, more-so because history has always intrigued me. It makes the reader, much like myself, research more into what the author already knows.

I hope I was to some assistance and I will gladly take a peek at your book.

<3
Kay

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 06:37 AM
AngelxWings is currently offline Click here to Send AngelxWings a Private Message Find more posts by AngelxWings Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SkinWalker

I might take your book up on a read. Though, I do hate its cover, it got stuck with one of those cheesy horribly "photoshopped" picture covers. It looks interesting though. : D

-Halle Berry's Biggest Fan.:.Thanks Piggle Humsy-

Old Post Jul 9th, 2007 02:14 AM
SkinWalker is currently offline Click here to Send SkinWalker a Private Message Find more posts by SkinWalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maham

Originally posted by Bardock42
I would say probably the media attention. Yes, people are stupid, they buy what they think their friends would buy.

i agree.i do that! Call it stupid if u like but it's abt the perception.If I'v received positive comments abt a book by ppl I'll certainly atleast try to see if not read the book wat it's all abt.Same's with movies isn't it? U watch a film,tell ur friends n they'r likely to watch it.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2007 11:27 AM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MarkHockley

Originally posted by [Walkah]
I might take your book up on a read. Though, I do hate its cover, it got stuck with one of those cheesy horribly "photoshopped" picture covers. It looks interesting though. : D

Thanks for the encouraging words, even though you don't like the cover! I guess I will have to console myself with the fact that I only wrote the book!! smile

But seriously, it would be great if you decided to read the whole thing as I'd be very interested to hear your views and thoughts on the story.

Thanks for taking an interest. I appreciate it.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 10:31 AM
MarkHockley

Aha!

Originally posted by maham
i agree.i do that! Call it stupid if u like but it's abt the perception.If I'v received positive comments abt a book by ppl I'll certainly atleast try to see if not read the book wat it's all abt.Same's with movies isn't it? U watch a film,tell ur friends n they'r likely to watch it.

So what I need now is one of your friends to say they loved my book! smile

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 10:36 AM