KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Hello, What is a book i should get to read?

Hello, What is a book i should get to read?
Started by: Eldon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
modslayor
Restricted

Account Restricted

Smile Hello, What is a book i should get to read?

Hello, I do not read much but would like to. I think I don't read a lot because I haven't found a book that interests me. I like horror a lot and science fiction and all that monster space stuff (if that isn't science fiction) any way can any one suggest a good book? Thank you

Old Post May 20th, 2007 01:49 AM
modslayor is currently offline Click here to Send modslayor a Private Message Find more posts by modslayor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

When people ask me to recommend horror stories, I always tell them, Algernon Blackwood. That link will take you to his most famous story, which you can read free online with a bunch of his other stuff.

Then I recommend E.F. Benson's The Room in the Tower

You might try Richard Matheson, if you're looking for more modern stuff.

Old Post May 20th, 2007 02:51 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eldon
Hello, I do not read much but would like to. I think I don't read a lot because I haven't found a book that interests me. I like horror a lot and science fiction and all that monster space stuff (if that isn't science fiction) any way can any one suggest a good book? Thank you
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

One of the funniest (if not the) Science Fiction books ever written.

Other Science Fiction

Arthur C. Clarke
- Childhood's End
- Rendesvouz with Rama

Isaac Asimov
- I, Robot
- The Caves of Steel
- Foundation

Robert Heinlein
- The moon is a Harsh Mistress
- Starship Troopers

Ray Bradbury
- Farhenheit 451

Frank Herbert
- Dune

Other books you should read:

Ayn Rand
- The Fountainhead

George Orwell

Aldous Huxley
- Brave New World

J.D. Salinger
- The Catcher in the Rye
- Nine Stories

Alan Moore (Graphic Novels)
- Watchmen
- V for Vendetta

Old Post May 20th, 2007 11:08 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
modslayor
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice selection of books there. But I feel for something a bit more horrorrish and gory any suggestions.

Old Post May 20th, 2007 08:07 PM
modslayor is currently offline Click here to Send modslayor a Private Message Find more posts by modslayor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enjoyyrworries
BURNING MAN

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Eldon
Nice selection of books there. But I feel for something a bit more horrorrish and gory any suggestions.

Pick up any Lovecraft. He delved into "cosmic horror," which basically means he was so into his stories he went insane. That's some intense shit, right there.

I'd start with Library of America's Lovecraft: Tales. It's the most comprehensive collection I've seen, and pretty cheap on Amazon to boot!

Old Post May 20th, 2007 09:33 PM
enjoyyrworries is currently offline Click here to Send enjoyyrworries a Private Message Find more posts by enjoyyrworries Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kero_Co
One Track Lover

I wouldn't pick up just any lovecraft. Dream-quest and silver key were terrible. They were like bad adventure stories. Most of his other stuff was good, though. Loved Hypnos.

Old Post May 20th, 2007 11:53 PM
Kero_Co is currently offline Click here to Send Kero_Co a Private Message Find more posts by Kero_Co Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Lovecraft was hugely influential. As to whether Eldon should actually read him? Well, all of Lovecraft's stuff is available online, so if Eldon wants to check him out, he can do so for free, from the comfort of his own home. On the other hand, he was extremely racist (and it shows in his works), he couldn't write dialogue and didn't even bother trying, he couldn't write female characters (does he even have any other then the villain of "The Thing On the Doorstep"?) and his other characters lacked any real personality, his writing is overblown, and his themes somewhat repetative. Also, I certainly don't recall Lovecraft as being "gory"--don't know how important that is to Eldon.

If you want to check him out, I'd recommend The Color Out of Space.

Last edited by Gregory on May 22nd, 2007 at 03:30 AM

Old Post May 22nd, 2007 03:27 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
enjoyyrworries
BURNING MAN

He was more than influential; he was one of the best authors of his time. You're of the modern-day literary opinion that writers must show the humanity of all their characters, which isn't at all a problem, but that wasn't Lovecraft's goal. His goal was to write great horror fiction. Little character development left more for creative thinking in that department.

He was extremely racist, though.

Last edited by enjoyyrworries on May 22nd, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2007 12:05 PM
enjoyyrworries is currently offline Click here to Send enjoyyrworries a Private Message Find more posts by enjoyyrworries Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

roger zelazny's amber series is excellent sci-fi/fantasy.

Old Post May 22nd, 2007 07:21 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azure
Your socks taste good...

Pet Semetary by Steven King was a freaky one. almost anything by Steven King will be scary.

Old Post May 23rd, 2007 02:21 AM
Azure is currently offline Click here to Send Azure a Private Message Find more posts by Azure Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you do choose King, and you're looking for gore, I'd personally go with Dark Half.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post May 23rd, 2007 03:02 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote