KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Lord of the Flies

I haven't read this book in years and years, since I was in school, in fact. Now I have to teach it to my ninth-graders, and I find that I enjoy it much more now than I did then.

Not that I am implying that it is an enjoyable book! Perhaps I should have said 'appreciate it more'.

Living in SA, I find that the message is very pertinent, and that it is as applicable today as it was in the fifties when Golding published it.

Any thoughts about this book? Anything that might help me make it more accessible for my ninth-graders? I also want to get the DVD to show to my classes, but from everything I have been able to find out, the original 1963 film was much closer to the book than the 1990 remake.

Anybody seen the 1963 version? Do you agree?

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2008 07:15 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

I've only seen the 1963 one, but last year (year 9) my teacher showed my class it. It was very close to the book, half a class didn't read the book so it was very helpful.

I had read the book and the film was very close. Hope that helps.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Mar 29th, 2008 11:40 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

I hated this book. We had to read it in my Freshman year in High School and I didn't like it at all.

Old Post Apr 1st, 2008 05:00 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

As a book on its own, I didn't really care for it all that much. Being made to analyze it from ten different angles and having to write papers on said angles did nothing to improve my opinion of it.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 03:19 PM
Callan is currently offline Click here to Send Callan a Private Message Find more posts by Callan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I find Golding to be needlessly be descriptive at points and completely vague at other points. It makes for a very disorganised feeling, and the quality certainly suffers for it.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 08:54 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote