KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Bartimaeus Trilogy

The Bartimaeus Trilogy
Started by: AC/DC'S_LVR

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

Cool The Bartimaeus Trilogy

this is a really good series by Johnathan Stroud about a kid in some alternate England who is training to become a magician. Not the kind you see in Vegas, but sort of a wizard(w/o the magic wand). They summon deamons from the Other Place. In book one~The Amulet of Samarkand~ the main character, Nathaniel, is taken in by a wizened old magician by the name of Arthur Underwood. When a young magician named Simon Lovelace humiliates him, Nathaniel first summons Bartimaeus, a djinni, to steal the Amulet of Samarkand. Setting in motion life changing events.

In book 2~ The Golem's Eye~ Nathaniel is just leaving his apprenticeship from his new mentor~Jessica Witwell. Also a new character, Kitty Jones, who is a member of the Resistence. A golem is rampageing around England and Nathaniel has to break his promise to Bartimaeus and summon him once more to help solve the mystery.

In book 3~Ptolmey's Gate~ we look more into Bartimaeus' past w/ his favourite master, Ptolmey. They discover a plot to take over London Parliment and eventually rule the world. By the deamons and magicians merging, unlimited power is unfolded. But when a playwrite, Quentin Makepeace, takes on Nouda, things go horribly wrong.

like i said, this is an awesome series.

Old Post May 20th, 2008 02:16 PM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Bartimaeus Trilogy!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Jun 10th, 2008 03:01 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
a-k-a-amber

I loved it. The ending made me love it even better

"It would never have worked out between us."..... "Keep telling yourself that darling."

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2008 10:18 PM
a-k-a-amber is currently offline Click here to Send a-k-a-amber a Private Message Find more posts by a-k-a-amber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JDL

Loved that series
the ending made me cry tho.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2008 03:13 AM
JDL is currently offline Click here to Send JDL a Private Message Find more posts by JDL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

I wonder when they'll make the freakin' movie! Miramax bought the rights to it like 3 years ago and there hasn't been any news about a movie yet.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2008 06:14 PM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

same w/ artemis fowl but w/ the writers strike they had to look for a good writer and pay a huge amount for them

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2008 05:39 PM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

I loved these books. I almost don't want a move- what if we have a repeat of The Golden Compass?

Old Post Sep 17th, 2008 03:56 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

i have books 1 and 2

Old Post Sep 25th, 2008 06:33 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

my copy of book one is so beaten up i had to get a new copy :P

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 01:16 PM
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

there's gonna be a new Bartimaeus books big grin
Stroud is aiming for fall of this year for it to be released in both the US and UK
PLUS!!! there's gonna be a graphic novel adaptation

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2010 01:50 AM
Council#13
The Omega Male

No way! More info about this stuffs puhleeez!

Old Post Jul 6th, 2010 11:22 AM
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

quote:
Jonathan Stroud has recently stated that he is beginning work on a new book about Bartimaeus and hopes for it to be published by the end of 2010.[1] The fourth book is titled "The Ring of Solomon" and will be published on November 2, 2010 in the U.S. It is a prequel to the Bartimaeus Trilogy and will follow the djinn's adventures in ancient Egypt

Old Post Jul 6th, 2010 04:00 PM
Kosmic King

I've read the first two and they are great!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2011 06:26 AM
Kosmic King is currently offline Click here to Send Kosmic King a Private Message Find more posts by Kosmic King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
miiih

Simply outstanding!!! After Harry Potter, I needed a book that will amuse me a lot concerning wizards, witches, goblins, spells and magic potions. Stroud's characterization of Nathaniel and Bartimaeus (the demon's character flies off from the pages!) are excellent. Every chapter is a twist and turn. All I can say is I read it at nighttime after work, walk towards work while reading it and walk towards home while reading it as well. Engrossing, smart and witty, Stroud is a great contender to J.K. Rowling's throne. I hope his stories will not suffer in quality as I find her storytelling of Harry Potter's adventures getting weaker after the fourth book. Get your own copy if you love these types of stories. Nathaniel will be YOU as you read his plight through every page and laugh your head off with the smart aleck, Bartimaeus! Happy reading!!!

Old Post Nov 14th, 2011 07:05 AM
miiih is currently offline Click here to Send miiih a Private Message Find more posts by miiih Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote