KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Your Favorite Fighting Sequence(s) in Fiction

Your Favorite Fighting Sequence(s) in Fiction
Started by: RE: Blaxican

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

Your Favorite Fighting Sequence(s) in Fiction

Yes, I am aware that there is a literature forum. I'd prefer this stay here though due to the higher traffic.

Question's pretty simple: What is the best fight scene that you've ever read in a work of fiction literature, science fiction or otherwise? The criteria for "best" is pretty vague, here. Most well-written, emotionally powerful, etc etc.

Feel free to list multiple scenes.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 03:40 AM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:32 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

i always like the fight scene from undisputed 2

probably shouldnt have posted it since the lil filipino male nurse might see it....

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:39 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Uh... that was my bad.

By fiction I was referring to literature, specifically. Wiiilll edit!

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:39 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Kassad and Moneta in the Shrike suits during Fall of Hyperion. Total unrestrained brutality. Not a pretty scene, though, or a very elaborate one. It's like something from 300 but if the Spartans were tearing off limbs with their bare hands . . . and then had sex on top of the pile of corpses.

In retrospect it is the model I use for a lot of the fight scenese I write (sans sex) because when you remove the whole "unstoppable killing machine" aspect it gives a great feeling of desperation.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Last edited by Symmetric Chaos on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 03:46 AM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:42 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

from fiction literature? does comics count?

if so here:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ankur29
Psylocke#4
Logan vs. Psylocke (and intervening human torch like burning/fire guy called Jinn?)

Quote: “he is like a wall of rage, overwhelming me mentally and physically”

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Last edited by Dark Riddick on Dec 22nd, 2010 at 03:48 AM

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:43 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

The opening fight of the Watchmen Movie ranks pretty high on my list. Along with pretty much every fight from Jet Li's Fearless.

Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo oer tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:45 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Referring to.. regular, old fashioned, novels. no expression

No graphic novels sorry. stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 03:51 AM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Referring to.. regular, old fashioned, novels. no expression

No graphic novels sorry. stick out tongue

Srry. Didn't read that post.

I suppose my favorite prose fight sequence would have to be the fight between Harry Dresden and the Skinwalker from the climax of the Dresden Files book Turn Coat.

Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo oer tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 04:03 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

pfff..... fine.

miffed

i used to read some romance vampire novels with supernatural beings like dragon's, were beings, olympian gods etc etc.. but i cant remember the author nor name of the books..

they had some pretty great fight scenes of a human vamp fighting a olympian created avatar of death called thanatos the fight took place in a cabin while the vamp was trying to protect a blind woman..

he desperately tried to hold it off but thanatos was like a juggernaut and f#$3ed him up bad.. he ended up crawling back to the cabin and hid for a while till he healed up enough to escape taking the chick with him on a snow mobile till it gave out and he had to fight it one more time...

climax of the story they fought one was pure muscle the other was nimble and agile and finally manage to find its weakness in a tatoo marking placed by the gods the size of a cooin so it would never turn on them... he stabbed it with a knife if iirc correctly..

the hero was a tragic type guy... he was born in ancient greece hideous and deform.. a female god gave him immortality of a vampire but not actually a vampire since he was so ugle she didnt want to touch him to transform him and instead enchanted him making him a faux vampire..

as a vamp he is was godly beautiful but he never felt that way and the blind chick loved him for who he was so he fought really hard to keep her alive... he was desperate to be loved since he hid from the world b/c he always felt that he was ugly.. later another older vamp god who was once a slave like him but manage to drink from a god fought for his freedom and free him and discovered he never needed to drink blood or live in darkness it was running joke to the gods..

the dude after being freed from bondage turned on the goddess that had turned him but the blind chick didnt want him to kill her... the anguish of wanting revenge and wanting to be with the blind chick kept him from killing the goddess.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 04:03 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Crow, when Eric Draven confronts Top Dollar for the first time.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 05:31 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

one of my fave novels called The Ninja as well as its sequels

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 07:41 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

The Black Angel, I think it was called, by John Connolly, had an epic part that was a flashback to an old abbey that had a battle between monks and demons going on in it, from what I remember it was pretty badass, though it's been ages since I've read it.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 08:51 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Please do not post threads in the wrong place in future for such a reason. Little wonder no-one knew what you were talking about.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 08:53 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Some of the action in the "rogue warrior" books by Richard Marcinko are excellent. Not the sort of book you want to read for intense literature value mindsmile

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2010 05:57 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Well... Ush.. would you like to give an opinion on the titular question of thread?

And anyone else, too... I would like if this didn't die like every other thread in this sub-forum. no expression

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2010 05:28 AM
Bardock42

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Well... Ush.. would you like to give an opinion on the titular question of thread?

And anyone else, too... I would like if this didn't die like every other thread in this sub-forum. no expression

Or like one party in a fighting sequence.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2010 07:25 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

There was this one book I read called Gladiatorix about female gladiator's (lesbian female gladiators), which had a pretty awesome end fight sequence. It was pretty much 2 naked chicks beating the absolute **** out of each other with their bare hands until they just collapsed from exhaustion and drew. Was pretty boss. I'll look for more though. See what I'll find.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2010 04:18 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

It's been a while since I read "The Reality Dysfunction," by Peter F. Hamilton. This (hard space-opera scifi with a supernatural element) novel held a number of fight scenes that were just really cool, due to an extensive/creative use of AI and nanotech, especially from a military perspective; and a good sense of how to depict tech-vs-'demon' battles in written form.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2010 09:17 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

The one scene in Ender's Game where Ender made everyone look pathetic compared to him.

So pretty much Ender's Game, it's all a war anyway.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2011 12:54 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

For me I would suggest that swordfighting and the like are best done by David Gemmell or Simon R. Green (especially in the latter's Deathstalker books), or perhaps Mickey Zucker Reichert in 'The Last of the Renshai'.

But I can recall one such fistfight which I enjoyed from 'Ravenheart' by David Gemmell when the character Jaim Grymauch, a clansmen, enters a boxing tourney and it's pretty brutal how the fights go. There's also one in the First Chronicles of Druss the Legend, by the same author.

The only other book I can think of now is 'Tegne: Soul Warrior' by Richard la Plante (strong martial arts/spiritualist theme as well), but other than that it's difficult because in most stories H2H stuff only lasts briefly and is usually ended by some weapon.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2011 04:03 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote