KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » What Makes a Good Villain for a Fictional Book?

What Makes a Good Villain for a Fictional Book?
Started by: TheOneFirestorm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheOneFirestorm

What Makes a Good Villain for a Fictional Book?

Not a Pushover. If the Hero or Heroes can easily defeat them in a short amount of time it's boring.

Elliot Ness from the Terrific Action Crime Drama Mob Movie The Untouchables

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2012 08:09 PM
TheOneFirestorm is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneFirestorm a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneFirestorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneFirestorm

Lines that you still remember.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2012 05:13 PM
TheOneFirestorm is currently offline Click here to Send TheOneFirestorm a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneFirestorm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lexington
Elysian Fields

A villain that is feared or underestimated I believe

Old Post Nov 14th, 2012 02:34 AM
Lexington is currently offline Click here to Send Lexington a Private Message Find more posts by Lexington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneFirestorm

Goals They can be good or bad but their methods to accomplish good goals are harmful.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2012 01:55 AM
maham

There are different kinds. For superhero type of stories, a terrible man, preferably psychotic, with some mystery to his character,who has stupid but horrendous ideas would be a good villain. Creates more interest in a story with already so much fantasy and nonsense. And sometimes a person with simple human emotions of jealousy and malice, who doesn't easily back down would do. evil face

Old Post Dec 11th, 2012 08:31 PM
maham is currently offline Click here to Send maham a Private Message Find more posts by maham Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarlet Fox
Gun Slinger

I like the 'Bad guy who was once good but ended up being Corrupted. Can he be saved? Nope!' type of bad guy =D

Old Post Feb 7th, 2013 10:33 PM
Scarlet Fox is currently offline Click here to Send Scarlet Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Scarlet Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pulse2
Feel the ripple

A martyr, like Osama Bin Laden reason being, you can have hundreds of 'evil' people in the same vain as Joker, Sephiroth and Darth Vader who just kill for fun and have people respect them only out of fear.

But then you have the enemy who is a hero to others, how do you kill someone like that? And what are the repercussions? You've now singlehandedly made a whole cult of people want to kill you for even so much as damaging a hair on that villains head.

Taking on an army of people who are willing to throw away their lives for a single man is far more difficult a feat than taking down the individual themselves, no matter how powerful they may be. (Unless of course godly status)

Old Post Feb 24th, 2013 08:46 AM
Pulse2 is currently offline Click here to Send Pulse2 a Private Message Find more posts by Pulse2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BoyScoutKevin

Re: What Makes a Good Villain for a . . .

Several years ago I came across these rules, so I wrote them down. Of course, they are not my doing, but I forgot to write down who came up with these rules, and because it has been so long ago, neither do I remember where I saw them, but here are "The 7 Rules for Female Villains."

1.) do fight inner demons.
2.) do shun human society.
3.) do exhibit mental disorders.
4.) do wear fetish clothing
5.) do cling to man hatred.
6.) do try to kill hapless males [especially male children]
7.) do look perpetually sullen.

Of course, that is for females, as I am a male myself, here is what I think makes an effective male villain.

a.) It must be someone for who one feels empathy.
b.) They can reform, but at the end, they must pay the ultimate penalty--death, for what they have done.
c.) It must be an adult. Most children do not make effective villains, because they have not been steeped in villainy long enough to be effective.

Old Post Apr 27th, 2013 05:54 PM
BoyScoutKevin is currently offline Click here to Send BoyScoutKevin a Private Message Find more posts by BoyScoutKevin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarlet Fox
Gun Slinger

Unless you're 'Royal Pain'. Who was a Female Villian who got turned into a baby when her 'Baby Ray' backfired on her.

Old Post Apr 29th, 2013 12:51 PM
Scarlet Fox is currently offline Click here to Send Scarlet Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Scarlet Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

I liked the Thrawn type of villain that was consistently a challenge for the heroes and had an interesting character and motivations.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post May 1st, 2013 06:42 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NotAllThatEvil
perpetual new guy.

One that makes sense. Nothing is harder to stop then someone with an actual point.

Old Post May 24th, 2013 04:48 PM
NotAllThatEvil is currently offline Click here to Send NotAllThatEvil a Private Message Find more posts by NotAllThatEvil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadeSlayer15
Omni Hermit Master

I would say a seriously Phyco human with an out of ordinary power or some thing of that sort, Of course out for world and universal domination and odd have to start out on his side to make it exciting and hard give the hero motivation

Old Post Jul 9th, 2013 06:01 PM
ShadeSlayer15 is currently offline Click here to Send ShadeSlayer15 a Private Message Find more posts by ShadeSlayer15 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Someone who is more then meets the eye. Say its an easy observation that they are really smart but they don't seem like much of a fighter but turns out to be impossibly good....or vise versa. Above all I prefer an intellectual villain to a bruiser. I like people that makes the reader feel like there is no way out of it for the hero. But thats just my preference in Villains in general

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jul 10th, 2013 12:36 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Someone who is more then meets the eye. Say its an easy observation that they are really smart but they don't seem like much of a fighter but turns out to be impossibly good....or vise versa. Above all I prefer an intellectual villain to a bruiser. I like people that makes the reader feel like there is no way out of it for the hero. But thats just my preference in Villains in general
+1

I always like an intelligent villain who's always 10 steps ahead of the heroes. Kind of like Ozy from Watchmen. He was a bit too sympathetic though. You should make your hero a lot more ruthless and shocking in how far he's willing to go.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 1st, 2013 08:15 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote