KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Graphic novels/ comics

Graphic novels/ comics
Started by: VampirePrincess

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VampirePrincess
Moon Child

Graphic novels/ comics

Does anyone read graphic novels wether its from Japan (manga) or China (manwa/ manhau) or just comics from America/ Europe?

List your favorites here...

I read mostly manga so most of my list is related to that.

1. Fake (hense my avatar and signature)
2. Tokyo Mew Mew!
3. Paradise Kiss
4. X Men (orginal)
5. The Crow
6. Uzamaki
7. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
8. Sailor Moon Stars
9. Mars
10. Clover

And I have plenty of others.

Whats yours?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 01:07 AM
VampirePrincess is currently offline Click here to Send VampirePrincess a Private Message Find more posts by VampirePrincess Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Maximus_E.
Insane An' Enjoyin' It

Hey, I pretty much like all of the comics/graphic novels out there. reading If I can get into the story, and if I like the art. If the art turns me off, I'll immediately put the comic/novel down.
My favorites are:
1. All X-Men
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Superboy
4. Batman
5. Young Justice

That's just some of them, if I named them all. I'd never leave this place. wink

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 01:27 AM
Maximus_E. is currently offline Click here to Send Maximus_E. a Private Message Find more posts by Maximus_E. Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I was a big Sandman fan, also Hellblazer but have not read any for a while. Best ever was still The Watchmen.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 01:31 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChinaNiki
Dancing Queen

like what I've seen so far, but I haven't seen that much

Made by the talented Godshinto

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 06:37 AM
ChinaNiki is currently offline Click here to Send ChinaNiki a Private Message Find more posts by ChinaNiki Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cermiestar
kitten

kirby's dreamland.......wink

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 09:29 AM
cermiestar is currently offline Click here to Send cermiestar a Private Message Find more posts by cermiestar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

I haven't read any manga (i can't find anywhere that sells them near where I live) but i love japanese anime.

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 11:05 AM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stovenutts
My fez is familiar?

the watchmen is awsome

Old Post Jul 16th, 2003 02:09 PM
Stovenutts is currently offline Click here to Send Stovenutts a Private Message Find more posts by Stovenutts Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

The Watchmen

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 12:32 AM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azure
Your socks taste good...

I read:

Dragonlance (Chronicals; not Legend of Huma)
Gargoyles
Asccension
Warcraft: Sunwell (or something like that...)
InuYasha
Cortney Curmin and the Night Things (not exactly sure on the last name)
Alice in Wonderland (Slave Labor Graphics version)

thats all I can think of at the moment...

Old Post Jun 29th, 2007 08:25 PM
Azure is currently offline Click here to Send Azure a Private Message Find more posts by Azure Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

American Comics:

Sandman (completed)--a classic of the genre

Lucifer (completed)--nearly omnipotent sociopaths are sexy

Hellblazer (ongoing)--Constantine is basically a nicer Lucifer with less power to back him up.

Fables (ongoing?)--just generally good

And two miniseries: Sebastion O and Enigma

All of those are from DC's Vertigo imprint, which has turned out some garbage (Codename: Knockout? What the hell?), but is pretty damn conisistant, in my opinion.

In mainstream DC, there's ... I don't know, actually. Impulse and Superboy were awsome, but DC cancelled those titles, killed Superboy, and messed up Impulse. Batman's cool, but a lot of his comic arcs suck, so it's sort of a crap-shoot.

In Europe, there's Judge Dredd. Judge Dredd is awsome; it's a crying shame that so few of his books are available in the USA. I import them, but shipping fees are a harsh mistress.

Meanwhile, in Japan...

Samurai Deeper Kyo. I don't care how ludacrous it is, I love it. I love the protagonists. All of them. Usually, I really like one or two of the main characters in a manga, and tolerate the rest, but in SDK, they all kick ass. The whole series is great, absurd fun.

Detective Conan. I'm actually not thrilled by the gimick, but the mysteries are great, it's well-written... VIZ, an inferior publishing company, messed around with the characters' names, but I forgive them.

All of Junji Ito's stuff. Uzumakie, Tomie, his short stories. Well, not Gyo.

Off in ... Korea, maybe? ... Priest also kicks ass. The title character sold his soul for the power to fight evil; it's sort of Berserk-esque.

Everybody recommends Watchmen, but it has boring panel layouts. It probably seems like a minor complaint, but I think it drags the book down. Someday, I'll rally and finish the damn thing.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 05:20 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

How can you say "Berserkesque" and not mention Berserk. Great comic.

Hellblazer I agree.

I rather enjoy the Punisher series by Ennis right now.

Watchme, V for Vendetta, Sin City are all great.

I really like Ranma 1/2

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 10:02 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Watchmen, From Hell, and anything else by Alan Moore.

Sin City; The Filth by Grant Morrison is good but a bit surreal.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 11:59 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly_Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Watchmen, From Hell, and anything else by Alan Moore.

Sin City; The Filth by Grant Morrison is good but a bit surreal.

Planetary, Miracleman, The Sandman, Fables, Lucifer, the Nazz, Kingdom Come etc, etc are all worth a read.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 10:03 PM
Molly_Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly_Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly_Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Yeah...Lucifer is really good.

Kingdom Come is not bad. Bit overrated in my view, but then again I don't have an affinity for the mainstream DC characters.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 10:05 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

the watchmen
hellblazer
the invisibles
planetary
the authority

several mainstream titles as well.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 10:46 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly_Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Yeah...Lucifer is really good.

Kingdom Come is not bad. Bit overrated in my view, but then again I don't have an affinity for the mainstream DC characters.

And I'm not really into Hard boiled and Sin City so we're even.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 11:04 PM
Molly_Hayes is currently offline Click here to Send Molly_Hayes a Private Message Find more posts by Molly_Hayes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Molly_Hayes
Restricted

Account Restricted

The present Dark Horse Conan is good. Hellboy, Concrete etc. are worth a look.

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 11:05 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Havnīt read any for a while, and canīt stand manga mainly due to the odd looking art work. I Used to love the "Slaine " & Judge Dredd is also a favorite.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 10:33 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

I have been reading comics since I was a kid, and one of the best days of my life was when I found out that a graphic novel had "won a Hugo Award, and is also appears on Time Magazine's 2005 list of "the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present.""

A couple of my most recent additions to my collection:

We3 - a three-issue American comic book mini-series by writer Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely, who describe its kinetic style as "Western Manga". It was published in 2004 by the Vertigo imprint of DC Comics, with a trade paperback released in 2005.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - a Batman comic book miniseries written and drawn by Frank Miller and published by DC Comics from February to June 1986. It reintroduced Batman to the general public as the psychologically dark character of his original 1930s conception, and helped to usher in an era of "grim and gritty" superheroes from the mid-1980s to mid-1990s.

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2007 08:49 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

Watchmen...
V- for Vendetta
The VCs
The Ballad of Halo Jones
The Chronicles of Luther Arkwright
Blueberry
Judge Dredd
Zenith
New Statesmen (flawed and rushed, but still great.. a rewrite could be cool)
Tintin
Asterix
Charley's War

and many many more........

Old Post Dec 24th, 2007 11:17 PM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote