KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Common Pirate Misconceptions

Common Pirate Misconceptions
Started by: ~Air Angel~

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Tongue Common Pirate Misconceptions

Post you pirate misunderstandings here!

Pirate Hooks: Probably originated from the story "Peter Pan", specifically from the character "Captain Hook". Itís true that quite a few pirates lost a hand in battle, and it was not uncommon for a pirate to search for a useful substitute, which would be handy around the ship. A hook was relatively easy to construct from onboard ship materials, so it is highly probable (not certain) that in some cases it was used as a temporary or permanent prosthetic hand. A hook could be easily constructed from a wooden bowl placed over the stump with a hook fashioned from extra ship metal by the blacksmith. This combination could be strapped to the arm with some leather.

Currently Writing: An Adventure Bookl!!!

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 03:22 PM
~Air Angel~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Air Angel~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Air Angel~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Peg Legs: Probably originated from the story "Treasure Island", from the character "Long John Silver". The character does not a use a peg leg in the story; his use of crutches has been misrepresented and through time and Hollywood productions this pirate legend was formed. In real life, however, this stereotype holds a good deal of truth; although its use is exaggerated in the minds of many people. If a pirate were injured in the leg, amputation would in most cases be the only option to save him. If the pirate crew were educated enough, they would call upon the cook to cut the injured limb off (to prevent Gang Green, or infection). Doctors were uncommon aboard pirate ships, so often the shipís cook would be called upon in the case of amputation. However, such crude operations were seldom successful, as the inexperienced "surgeon" could not stop the bleeding which followed. Although much less likely, the pirate might also die from infection. A substitute was later required for the missing leg, which was usually any free material on the ship, a long piece of wood, for instance.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 03:22 PM
~Air Angel~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Air Angel~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Air Angel~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Parrots: Probably became widely thought of from the story "Treasure Island", specifically from the character "Long John Silver". There is a deal of controversy on this subject as many people suspect that pirates were much too practical to deal with pets. A parrot permanently stationed on the shoulder of a pirate would regularly generate a mess. As well, a parrot might get in the way of work, or be consumed during hard times at sea. So it is highly unlikely that having a parrot, or any pet for that matter, was too popular with pirates... Maybe some pirates dealt with their pet's messes just like some people today?

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 03:23 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

One thing I heard was that their Big gold hoop earrings were supposed to help them see longer/better... or at least, thats probably what the shmucks who bought 'em were told! wink

Not sure on the exact details tho... I read it in a Horrible Histories book! big grin

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 04:57 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

really? i never heard about the hoops......i'm gonna try to find some more interesting things tomorrow when i have the time again.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 05:03 PM
MissesDepp?!
Creature of the night...

the gold hoops were supposed to pay for their weddings when they died.

Curiouser and Curiouser

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 10:50 PM
MissesDepp?! is currently offline Click here to Send MissesDepp?! a Private Message Find more posts by MissesDepp?! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MissesDepp?!
Creature of the night...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WEDDINGS SORRY I MEANT FUNERALS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curiouser and Curiouser

Old Post Feb 5th, 2004 10:51 PM
MissesDepp?! is currently offline Click here to Send MissesDepp?! a Private Message Find more posts by MissesDepp?! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Oh! Funerals...........figures...pirates

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 01:54 PM
Astro12345

yeah. It tells these things in the POTC special features. Its pretty interesting.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 03:11 PM
Astro12345 is currently offline Click here to Send Astro12345 a Private Message Find more posts by Astro12345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Seiko
Psychotic Fangirls Unite!

Planks: Walking the plank was supposedly made big by the movie industry. Back then, pirates considered it a waste to make their captives walk the plank since they enjoyed putting them through more horrid tortures for their personal pleasure, such as whippings and 'rogering at the railing'. pirate

Elizabeth: You were going to tell Barbossa about Will in exchange for a ship.
Jack: We could use a ship! The fact is I was not gonna tell Barbossa about bloody Will in exchange for a ship 'cause as long as he didn't know about bloody Will, I had something to bargain with. Which now no one has, thanks to bloody stupid Will.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2004 04:44 PM
Seiko is currently offline Click here to Send Seiko a Private Message Find more posts by Seiko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

really? I didn't know that..........but then again movies and books tend to feed things into our minds! big grin

Old Post Feb 20th, 2004 08:26 AM
Machete_Guy
Another Basterd

I use to love books but now i never read any, now its movies for meyes

Old Post Sep 10th, 2004 05:54 AM
Machete_Guy is currently offline Click here to Send Machete_Guy a Private Message Find more posts by Machete_Guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote