KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » The Sparrow Tatoo (what it means?)

The Sparrow Tatoo (what it means?)
Started by: LovelyOne

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LovelyOne

The Sparrow Tatoo (what it means?)

I highlighted ones I find interesting..and ones for our shippy ship.

-----------------------------------
Symbolism of a Sparrow Tattoo

Commonly, sailors would get a sparrow tattoo for every 50,000 nautical miles they traveled.

* It may not mean anything, but I know a lot of men in the UK who have bird tattoos on their hands and wrists have been released from prison. The sparrows symbolize freedom.

* I know of a gang that gets tattoos like that and they get them because it is their way of showing that they are free to do what they like and don't follow any rules but their own.

* A sparrow is a symbol of finding your true love.

* Having three sparrows on my body, one singing a song symbolizing Freedom and the other two diving toward a nautical star representing freedom to love and to find your true love. A sparrow is different from most birds, when they find their soul mate, they stay with them until their life’s end. (Swans are the same!)

* Some tattoo artists get tattoos of sparrows somewhere on their body to draw evil away from their body, because they tattoo demons and anti-religious stuff everyday. They believe it will protect them and keep evil spirits away.

* A sparrow for a safe journey a sparrow for a safe return and a banner from one beak to the other for every five thousand miles. I'm a sailor, I have sailor tats and the sparrows are a sailor tat. Makes sense though for ex-cons to get them for freedom. I like that idea, too.

* It's possible it is one very young misguided person so infatuated with Johnny Depps' role in Pirates of the Caribbean that they felt the need to get a similar tattoo. It's a good sign that this is the case when the person in question also incessantly speaks in a drunken British drawn despite being quite sober and never having so much as vacationed in the UK, has greasy dreadlocks and insists on dressing in worn, unwashed Victorian-era clothing. I suppose this also ties into the symbolic value of the sparrow as it pertains to sailors and their travels. laughing out loud

* Sailors earned the right to wear "blue birds of happiness" tattoos on either side of their chest after having crossed the Equator.

* They were to keep sailors from drowning.

* Sparrows can mean all/any of the following: eternity, luck, innocence. Sparrows are also known for traveling great distances, but always returning home. The way the sparrow is pictured also defines a lot about its' meaning.

* The tat may have a religious significance. See Matthew 10:29, which reads "Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? And one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father."

* Sparrow (swallows, you may be confused with) are traditional nautical/Navy tattoos that signify that the sailor has traveled a certain amount in his life. Same with Nautical stars.

* In the old days, before GPS, sailors would follow birds to land. There was an old sailor's legend about one particular captain who would recognize the sparrow as native to his home. The sparrow would signify his coming home. The tattoo is supposed to help lead you home.

* I have two sparrows on my chest - the devil and the angel symbolizing good and evil in all of us. But I chose sparrows due to the fact that it also symbolized freedom and loyalty. It was like symbolizing " being true to thy self."

* They are old sailor tattoos. You would get the first one after traveling 5,000 miles and the second after traveling another 5,000.

* The sparrow tattoo was designed by Sailor Jerry. He also designed/originated the love mom tattoos as well as his own brand of rum.

* Sparrows symbolize love, dedication and trust. Sparrows mate for life and will always return home no matter how far they travel. They should always be tattooed in pairs. (damn you Jack get a new one when you end up with Liz stick out tongue) Sparrow tattoos are often confused with Blue swallows. Swallows were often tattooed on sailors to symbolize a safe return home. When a sailor saw a swallow at sea, he knew he was near land. If the swallow is tattooed on the sailor's upper chest near his shoulder, it represents 5,000 nautical miles sailed.

* I have one sparrow on each side of my neck, one with its head curled back/up and the other with it facing forward. The one looking back/up, to me, means I'm letting go of the past and the one facing forward is the obvious opposite, live in the present and deal with what's coming not what's already gone.

Last edited by LovelyOne on Oct 15th, 2006 at 09:33 PM

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 09:29 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Swann&Sparrow
Broken

Whoa. That totally makes sense. Do you think the writers thought about that rather than just say, "Hey slap on a tatoo to make him look cool!"

OMG. They actually thought this through, you know writers. They don't do things for no reason, this means that they were aware of putting this tatoo on Jack. Thus meaning there is huge symbolism in this.

Jack needs to get another Sparrow Tatoo, and I think Lizzie needs some too...

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 10:24 PM
Swann&Sparrow is currently offline Click here to Send Swann&Sparrow a Private Message Find more posts by Swann&Sparrow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diddly
DIVING

Can you sum all that up?? I have to go somewhere soon and I don't have time to read it all.

Jonas Brothers.....need I say more?? big grin

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 10:25 PM
diddly is currently offline Click here to Send diddly a Private Message Find more posts by diddly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Swann&Sparrow
Whoa. That totally makes sense. Do you think the writers thought about that rather than just say, "Hey slap on a tatoo to make him look cool!"

OMG. They actually thought this through, you know writers. They don't do things for no reason, this means that they were aware of putting this tatoo on Jack. Thus meaning there is huge symbolism in this.

Jack needs to get another Sparrow Tatoo, and I think Lizzie needs some too...

I dunno the tatoo was there before the movie was made apparently and then they just used it with Jack's Surname lol.

But the Sparrow symbolism stated above is what really makes me think..Jack is free but sparrows are monogamous birds as are swans they always return home to their soul mate no matter how far they go.

why have they suddenly made Jack/Liz look like soul mates?..heck they even did that in the first movie but cut the damn scene out.

they made Jack leave Liz but he clearly had her on his mind he was singing the song she taught him on the beach.

then there is that line in my sig that suggests Liz' eart belongs to Jack her soul mate before marriage to Will:

Last edited by LovelyOne on Oct 15th, 2006 at 10:36 PM

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 10:30 PM
LovelyOne is currently offline Click here to Send LovelyOne a Private Message Find more posts by LovelyOne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
diddly
DIVING

What does the Sparrow symbolise??

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 10:32 PM
diddly is currently offline Click here to Send diddly a Private Message Find more posts by diddly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

freedom but at the same time once they have found a soul mate they always return home to them no matter how far they travel. They are loyal to their partners

Swans are exactly the same..and what I find interesting is how even in movie 1 there was a theme of Jack/Liz being soul mates (shame they cut that scene)

but it was clear to me Jack left and had her on his mind.he's found someone special in her. He found his equal..the one who out did him and beat him at his own game...he is unable to forget her

and IMO so did Liz when it came to Jack...that whole weird line in DMC about being widowed before marriage..you cant even be a friggin widow before marriage unless you are already married but your husband frequently leaves you or dies...we see Liz mourning at the beginning and Jack bursting out of a coffin when we first meet him after that scene

Last edited by LovelyOne on Oct 15th, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 10:39 PM
diddly
DIVING

k

Old Post Oct 15th, 2006 10:39 PM
Minie Mina
Lady Lara Croft

well...obvious the sparrow simbolizes freedom. Its flying towards the horizon. like jack sailing towards the horizon.

Tomb Raider fanfiction: Heaven's Wrath

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:28 AM
Minie Mina is currently offline Click here to Send Minie Mina a Private Message Find more posts by Minie Mina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LovelyOne

Yes I agree with you.

but Jack even behaves like a sparrow dont you think?

No matter how free and how far a Sparrow travels it always returns to its soul mate

he left movie 1 knowing he found his equal IMO (singing the song she taught him on the beach with the rum when she screwed him over..later in movie 2 "why is the rum always gone")

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:35 AM
Minie Mina
Lady Lara Croft

^^ I think so and agree with you.

You can never reach the horizon, but you can always reach to your one true love and soul mate.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:41 AM
Minie Mina is currently offline Click here to Send Minie Mina a Private Message Find more posts by Minie Mina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

DISREGARD

Last edited by Mistypirate on Oct 16th, 2006 at 12:45 AM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:42 AM
Mistypirate is currently offline Click here to Send Mistypirate a Private Message Find more posts by Mistypirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

wow thats interesting, Jack behaves very much like a sparrow. He always returns to his Lizzie.It Doesn't matter if its by fate intervention, he always returns to her. It's like destiny reunites them for some reason.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:44 AM
Mistypirate is currently offline Click here to Send Mistypirate a Private Message Find more posts by Mistypirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Minie Mina
Lady Lara Croft

Originally posted by Mistypirate
wow thats interesting, Jack behaves very much like a sparrow. He always returns to his Lizzie.It Doesn't matter if its by fate, he always returns to her.

aa yes. I agree big grin. Fate always intervenes with Will and Liz bc Jacks is the fate. returning to his soul mate stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:46 AM
LovelyOne

I firmly believe the moment on the beach (movie 1) was the moment Jack had found his one and only soul mate. Sparrows only find one and they stick with that one.

He leaves Port Royal...He travels far, he's free..yet his mind gets drawn back to her he wants to return and see her again..

Since when has that ever happened to Jack before with a woman?

Last edited by LovelyOne on Oct 16th, 2006 at 12:57 AM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:47 AM
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

YES....FATE INTERVENED..You see there are a lot of clues and symbolisms that point to a J/E relationship. I won't say ending, because we don't know who is she going to end up with, hopefully Jack. But if she doesn't Jack is going to be her one and true Love.

By the way Chiki Love your sig.....

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:52 AM
Minie Mina
Lady Lara Croft

Your the number 2 who said about my siggy lool
And I very much appreciate your too kind. Its not so proffesional but its a start smile
Thank you again.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 12:55 AM
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

quote:
And I very much appreciate your too kind. Its not so proffesional but its a start
Thank you again.

Your Welcome smile Chiki

quote:
I firmly believe the moment on the beach (movie 1) was the moment Jack had found his one and only soul mate. Sparrows only find one and they stick with that one

Yes I do believe as well that the moment he had w/Liz on the beach, was when he realised that Liz was more than just a pretty face. She was his equal. And her actions left a mark on him. We see it clearly at the end of 1 he was singing her song. And at the beginning of 2, we clearly see that he wants to return to her. That's true Jack never has been that way with a women, It doesn't imply that for him women are a bunch of whores. But that was the least thing that was on Jacks mind until Liz came along.
Ok off topic, you know what I would really like to see in AWE. It sounds cheesy, but i would like to see Jack cry for Liz, I think It would be nice. We already saw her cry for him in DMC.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 01:28 AM
LovelyOne

You know what..I was thinking that the other day..say if she sacrificed herself to save will or something (like usual) then she finally somehow sees Jack's true emotions come out when it comes to her being gone from his life (tears) It would be the one thing that would hit her the hardest when it comes to Jack I think. If he cried. I mean Jack Sparrow CRYING? IMO that would make Elizabeths' heart hurt because she does love him in my opinion..again its like the ending of DMC but on a larger scale..she realised he was gonna STAY for her(a bit late) and it hit her HARD I think.

Imagine how that would make us in the audience feel. We would be on the edges of our seats praying that Elizabeth return to him.

its funny how Johnny said: "they took my character to places I never thought they would with 2 and 3"

a crying Jack is one thing we have never seen...will we get to see it?

Last edited by LovelyOne on Oct 16th, 2006 at 01:38 AM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 01:33 AM
Mistypirate
Viva Sparrabeth!!

That's exactly what I mean!! Jack Sparrow crying? that would be awesome to see. I would be weeping my a$$ off in the theater. I would be crying like a baby. I'm just hoping to see some of Jacks true emotions in AWE. That would be something nobody would expect from his character. And that interview of Johnny definitely says a lot a lot.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 01:46 AM
LovelyOne

Originally posted by Mistypirate
That's exactly what I mean!! Jack Sparrow crying? that would be awesome to see. I would be weeping my a$$ off in the theater. I would be crying like a baby. I'm just hoping to see some of Jacks true emotions in AWE. That would be something nobody would expect from his character. And that interview of Johnny definitely says a lot a lot.

we do see his true emotions come out when he says nothing So I can imagine tears..I really can if its a true emotion he's feeling when crying them. They wont be crocidle tears lol.

We love Jack..we dont want to see him hurt because it hurts us too

I think as soon as Liz realises how much he's hurting because of her she will go running back. She may not love him in DMC but I have a feeling by the end of AWE it will be love that replace the "deep feelings" for him that were there in DMC and only really showed up at the end

Old Post Oct 16th, 2006 01:51 AM