KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Oscar Pool

Oscar Pool
Started by: willofthewisp

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Oscar Pool

If you guys want to participate, we predict the winners of the awards and whoever has the most right after it's over gets some kind of award. This is what I think:

Picture
“Atonement”----------what probably should win
“Juno”
“Michael Clayton”
“No Country for Old Men”---------This is what I think WILL win
“There Will Be Blood”

Actor
George Clooney in “Michael Clayton”
Daniel Day-Lewis in “There Will Be Blood”----------WILL win
Johnny Depp in “Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” ---should win

Tommy Lee Jones in “In the Valley of Elah”
Viggo Mortensen in “Eastern Promises”

Actress
Cate Blanchett in “Elizabeth:
The Golden Age”
Julie Christie in “Away from Her”---------WILL win
Marion Cotillard in “La Vie en Rose”
Laura Linney in “The Savages”
Ellen Page in “Juno” -------------But I want her to win

Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck in “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” (Warner Bros.)
Javier Bardem in “No Country for Old Men” (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) -----------------------------------------------------------WILL WIN

Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Charlie Wilson’s War” (Universal)
Hal Holbrook in “Into the Wild” (Paramount Vantage and River Road Entertainment)
Tom Wilkinson in “Michael Clayton” (Warner Bros.)

Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett in “I’m Not There” (The Weinstein Company) ---WILL WIN
Ruby Dee in “American Gangster” (Universal)
Saoirse Ronan in “Atonement” (Focus Features)
Amy Ryan in “Gone Baby Gone” (Miramax)
Tilda Swinton in “Michael Clayton” (Warner Bros.)

Directing
“The Diving Bell and the Butterfly” (Miramax/Pathé Renn) Julian Schnabel
“Juno” (Fox Searchlight) Jason Reitman
“Michael Clayton” (Warner Bros.) Tony Gilroy
“No Country for Old Men” (Miramax and Paramount Vantage) Joel Coen and Ethan Coen --------Should win and I think will
“There Will Be Blood” (Paramount Vantage and Miramax) Paul Thomas Anderson

Costumes
“Across the Universe” (Sony Pictures Releasing) Albert Wolsky
“Atonement” (Focus Features) Jacqueline Durran---------------WILL win
“Elizabeth: The Golden Age” (Universal) Alexandra Byrne
“La Vie en Rose” (Picturehouse) Marit Allen
“Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” (DreamWorks and Warner Bros., Distributed by DreamWorks/Paramount) Colleen Atwood------well, hey, I'd love this one to win

Anyone else want to play?

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 02:10 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

I was going to play, but I think I agree with you on everything... what should win, and what will win.

I'm all for atonement to win everything. Why wasn't Joe nominated for best director? And Keira was totally robbed for best actress. I do hope it wins best picture, it deserves it. But the oscars seem prejudice against younger people making or being in films... haha. they like to award the old timers, usually.

It would be lovely if Saoirse won for atonement, but I do agree, Cate probably will.

I am thrilled they are going to be on. I can't wait. smile I just want to see them all there in pretty clothes...

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 04:01 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

I honestly haven't seen Atonment yet, but I've heard such good things about it. Keira was nominated for a Golden Globe, so why not an Oscar? Yeah, I don't think the academy likes anyone between 15 and 25, lol. They seem to like kids, or at least think they're cute. It's just like they don't like comedies or fantasies or horror, etc. Yeah, it's incredibly stupid. I'm in it to see the clothes, too!

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 04:43 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
IheartPocky
Not a sausage..

I agree with all you said too. I havent seen atonement but I've seen a lot of clips including the ending on youtube and I want it to win!!!

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 05:18 PM
IheartPocky is currently offline Click here to Send IheartPocky a Private Message Find more posts by IheartPocky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tramps Lady
Blaine

yeahk, i agree with most of yours, because..well..half of them i havent even seen previews for lol

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 08:11 PM
Tramps Lady is currently offline Click here to Send Tramps Lady a Private Message Find more posts by Tramps Lady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

I agree with basically everything. I WANT ellen page and Johnny depp to win. Not a chance though...
Julie christie will probably win. The only person who stands a chance against her is Cotillard and I'd bet you anything No Country for old men will win.
It's a shame that the oscars are so predictable but stil fun to watch...most the time

Freedom...

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 05:02 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

What I don't understand is that all the critics and movie "experts" say that every guy in the Best Actor category is fantastic. They love all the performances but say Daniel Day-Lewis' stands out. So has anyone seen There Will Be Blood, because I want to see this performance that EVERYONE says will win.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 05:48 PM
tee_pirategirl
YoHo!YoHo!

No...I refuse to see it. I bet he was fantastic and all...But...
Most years I watch all the 'oscar movies' and all but I find myself growing bored of them over time. They're such big stereotypes...Always serious, drama and deep in an obvious way. Now the Coen brothers used to be my idols before they started repeating themselves over and over.
I want to see something fesh. Why can't a Juno-type movie ever win? Or even COTBP? Or dream girls? God! Surprise us for god's sake.
Yes...I've rambles long enough. BUt everyone -critics- do seem to say DD Lewis' performance was amazing

Freedom...

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 06:22 PM
tee_pirategirl is currently offline Click here to Send tee_pirategirl a Private Message Find more posts by tee_pirategirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katelovespirate

i am so sick of dd lewis, i cant even articulate it. its true, the oscars are very predictable. and i'm tired of old british chicks winning. its such an elite little society. if JD wins, I'll change my mind though. i'm just bitter about Keira getting robbed and not coming.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 06:26 PM
katelovespirate is currently offline Click here to Send katelovespirate a Private Message Find more posts by katelovespirate Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Yeah, and Joe Wright got snubbed for directing Atonement just as Tim Burton did for Sweeney Todd. You know, Johnny should have won for when he was nominated for COTBP. He made that role completely his own and after reading the script, took it to the next level. He's one of those actors for whom every eye blink, every twitch of his mouth, is a conscious decision that is in character. So many good movies and actors have been overlooked.

I would LOVE for Ellen Page to win. I haven't seen Juno but really want to. To be that young and be so funny and yet so sad and having to act through all 9 months of a pregnancy have to be hard. I was also surprised Amy Adams wasn't nominated for Enchanted. She was nominated for a Golden Globe and she completely embodied her role. Critics were calling her the female equivalent of what Johnny did for Jack Sparrow. But yet I'm going to watch the awards anyway. Help!

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 06:47 PM
katelovespirate

Amy Adams really was adorable, and I loved Enchanted. however, I wouldn't put her quite on the level of Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow. No one will ever quite reach that pinnacle, i think.

Yes, I was shocked that Joe Wright got snubbed. Atonement was so beautifully made and creatively directed. A lot of the nominees surprised me.

Juno is really, really great. Loved it. I'm not that into quirky-indie comedy, but this film was exquisite. Acting, directing, music, the whole package. Its true that women never seem to win awards for comedy (well, no one seems to win awards for comedy) when i think it's much harder to do convincingly than drama.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 07:01 PM
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Me too. Comedies, action, and horror are hardly ever awarded anything. Having Lord of the Rings win Best Picture was a real first in that a fantasy film won. It just seems like the Academy doesn't think certain films are important enough even though comedy and horror movies probably affect us more than anything. Would we like POTC half as much if all its comedic moments and "scary" elements were gone?

Old Post Feb 24th, 2008 11:13 PM