KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Tia Dalma's accent/broken English

Tia Dalma's accent/broken English
Started by: Nmew

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nmew

Tia Dalma's accent/broken English

As you know, Tia Dalma has a thick Jamaican accent - but has anyone noticed her broken English? (like: "him carve out him heart, lock it away in da chest...")
Since she's actually the goddess Calypso, I wonder whether her accent and broken grammar are part of her curse or not.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 06:37 AM
Nmew is currently offline Click here to Send Nmew a Private Message Find more posts by Nmew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Hi! Welcome.

The way I always interpreted Tia Dalma's speech pattern is, even though she's a goddess, she's trapped in a human form. Part of Jack's past is that he was working for the East India Trading Company and was branded a pirate after he freed the people he was supposed to be bringing to the Caribbean to be slaves. I always figured Tia Dalma was one of them, that she was trapped in a human form and that human form had lived in Africa with a tribe. English is a hard language to learn so maybe she wouldn't have that bad grammar with another language.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 04:21 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

or, maybe she just chose to talk like that because its part of the mystery of her current human form - tia dalma.

think tia dalma with awesome, unbroken, straight english. kinda loses the mystery, spark, etc., you know?

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 12:19 PM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nmew

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
or, maybe she just chose to talk like that because its part of the mystery of her current human form - tia dalma.

I tend to agree. Actually, she has a seductive nature, and her broken grammar is kinda attractive wink

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 02:09 PM
Nmew is currently offline Click here to Send Nmew a Private Message Find more posts by Nmew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sailorleo
Mrs. Admiral Norrington

Sad thing, I agree with that. Typically broken English and bad grammar just annoy the spit out of me, but in her case, it works. smile

Norrie+Sailor= Happiness !bunny
Banner by Sailorleo *me*

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 05:36 PM
sailorleo is currently offline Click here to Send sailorleo a Private Message Find more posts by sailorleo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Hmm, never thought of that. It's kind of like how Yoda enjoys being small because people underestimate him.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 06:44 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sailorleo
Mrs. Admiral Norrington

omg! that's me too. I would never flip out if some one tried to tease me by calling me Yoda. smile

Norrie+Sailor= Happiness !bunny
Banner by Sailorleo *me*

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 07:20 PM
sailorleo is currently offline Click here to Send sailorleo a Private Message Find more posts by sailorleo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Tia Dalma's English is perfect in it's own way. big grin

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 03:48 AM
Jaeh is currently offline Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Yeah, I got choked up with the way she says, "Him heart." I don't know if perfect English (or perfect any language) could have been so moving.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 04:57 AM
Nmew

Originally posted by willofthewisp
Hmm, never thought of that. It's kind of like how Yoda enjoys being small because people underestimate him.

More like his anastrophe wink

Old Post Aug 30th, 2009 03:23 AM
siriuswriter

tia's way of speaking is beautiful. she sounds like someone who learnt english in a different country, like somewhere in africa, because when peoplle learn english outside the states, they learn british-english, and then that's mixed with their native accents. and breaking it up is just sexy when you do it right. plus, if you look like tia-dalma, it would be incredibly weird to hear the queen's english coming out of that mouth.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 11:39 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Well, her speech pattern is a little different in AWE than in DMC. Her speech is much clearer and she speaks in regular sentences. It's subtle, but the difference is there.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 04:21 AM
Nmew

What do you mean by "regular sentences"?

Old Post Nov 25th, 2009 11:39 AM
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

i have a friend that looks exactly like her.... but doesnt talk all Jamacian like

Old Post Nov 26th, 2009 01:18 AM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mkp123

It is quite astonishing that even the accent of a character in a movie touches people so much. So we can think how much viewers attach themselves with their favorite characters. Tia Dalma is a character in the movie “Pirates of the Caribbean”. Her accent has Jamaican touch and her English is broken. Her character is a goddess in the movie who has been cursed to be a human. Many fans really like her broken English a lot. They find it very sweet.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2010 06:42 AM
mkp123 is currently offline Click here to Send mkp123 a Private Message Find more posts by mkp123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bwa Ha Ha

yes

Speaking quirks are almost always helpful to defining a character.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2010 09:29 PM
Bwa Ha Ha is currently offline Click here to Send Bwa Ha Ha a Private Message Find more posts by Bwa Ha Ha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nmew

By the way, in some fanfics she speaks in the third person as well ("ye be helpin' Tia Dalma now", "Tia stay here", etc.) I wonder whether this characteristic would fit her or not.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 02:55 PM
NuttyNik

I think the brocken gramma worked for her in the film it added another angel on her story.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 10:33 PM
NuttyNik is currently offline Click here to Send NuttyNik a Private Message Find more posts by NuttyNik Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nmew

Originally posted by NuttyNik
I think the brocken gramma worked for her in the film it added another angel on her story.

What kind of new angle?

Old Post Apr 27th, 2011 03:11 PM
Godzilla Rulz

Just because she's a goddess doesn't mean she can speak every language perfectly.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2011 03:01 AM
Godzilla Rulz is currently offline Click here to Send Godzilla Rulz a Private Message Find more posts by Godzilla Rulz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote