KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Pirates of the Caribbean » Question Re: DMC

Question Re: DMC
Started by: Tramps Lady

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tramps Lady
Blaine

Question Question Re: DMC

I can't remember if I've asked this previously, so I'll ask again.

I was watching DMC last night. And one thing I've never been able to fully understand is this (bare in mind that it's the tiniest detail, really):

In the middle of the three-way swordfight, where Jack tells Norrington that Will was the one who ruined his life, Norrington says "unfortunately, Mr. Turner, he's right!"
Now this could seem, from his tone, that he means "Unfortunately, Mr. Turner, he IS right!" as to say, he's telling Will.
However, it keeps running in my mind that he could be saying "unfortunately it was Mr. Turner, he's right!" as to say, he's realizing it to himself. (I know he doesn't actually say it, and so it should seem like the first one, but his tone doesn't entirely make it clear :P )

I understand it's the minute if details... And it really isn't a big deal, but what do you guys think? I constantly think about it for ages after that line.

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Last edited by Tramps Lady on Jan 20th, 2011 at 03:40 PM

Old Post Jan 20th, 2011 03:37 PM
Tramps Lady is currently offline Click here to Send Tramps Lady a Private Message Find more posts by Tramps Lady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

It's just Jack trying to get attention away from himself. He knows if he can get Norrington's attention off him, he can go to the thump-thump and trump everyone.

So he gives Norrington a reason to put his attention on Will - Unfortunately, in Norry's mind, stealing the love of his life trumps the time when Norry himself let the Black Pearl have a few days head-start.

So he realizes which fight he would rather be fighting [pick your battles], and turns on Will. Norry has always kept semi-calm, and DMC is his turn to realize his emotions.

I hope this helps....

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2011 04:26 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tramps Lady
Blaine

Well, it helped and it didn't. Haha.
It's cool; it's technically a hard question to answer, as it relates to the script, I guess.

It really doesn't matter anyways, as stated; it's the tiniest detail. Hehe.

smile

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 20th, 2011 09:35 PM
Tramps Lady is currently offline Click here to Send Tramps Lady a Private Message Find more posts by Tramps Lady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bwa Ha Ha

Hold on... So 'Unfortunately it was Mr. Turner' as in... Regretful? Like, 'Aww, too bad it was him?'

It's just that the way you phrased that is slightly confusing me...

Old Post Jan 20th, 2011 11:20 PM
Bwa Ha Ha is currently offline Click here to Send Bwa Ha Ha a Private Message Find more posts by Bwa Ha Ha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tramps Lady
Blaine

Well he says "unfortunately (slight pause) Mr. Turner (pause) hes right"

And I'm confused as to though hes saying to will "well, will, sorry, but he's right" or if he's saying to himself "damn, it WAS Turner, he's right"

If that helps?

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 21st, 2011 12:57 AM
siriuswriter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tramps Lady
Well he says "unfortunately (slight pause) Mr. Turner (pause) hes right"

And I'm confused as to though hes saying to will "well, will, sorry, but he's right" or if he's saying to himself "damn, it WAS Turner, he's right"

If that helps?

Norrington has no hesitations here - he hates both Jack and Will, it just was the pick of the draw of the Mexico stand-off that Norry was caught fighting Jack - if he could, he would be fighting off both of them. Norry only joined the crew on desperation alone.

So Jack is kind of saying, why are you fighting me? What did I ever do to you? This other guy ruined your life! He humiliated you! Norry agrees with Jack that he hates Will more. When he goes "Unfortunately," he's being bitter and sarcastic. "Unfortunately, Mr. Turner, he is right."

Justifying leaving Jack alone while he turns on Will. Norry is still thinking, 'it's okay, i'll get jack after i take care of will.'

So the English in the script is okay. It makes sense. Norry said the right thing. All is right with the world.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2011 03:04 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bwa Ha Ha

What sirius said. But yeah, I basically took it as a sort of, "Woah, he's right," combined with "LOL, Will, you're gonna die now."

Old Post Jan 21st, 2011 04:55 AM
Bwa Ha Ha is currently offline Click here to Send Bwa Ha Ha a Private Message Find more posts by Bwa Ha Ha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tramps Lady
Blaine

Okies. I think that'll stop me from thinking so much :P

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 21st, 2011 01:17 PM
siriuswriter

Haha. Thinking is not bad, I just like to look intelligent by answering people's questions.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2011 06:43 PM
Tramps Lady
Blaine

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I also like to use big words; like antagonizing. Hehhe

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2011 04:43 AM
Bwa Ha Ha

Tintinnabulation.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2011 01:53 PM
siriuswriter

Antidisestablishmentarianism.

[biggest word in the dictionary. Many points to me. big grin]

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2011 08:34 PM
Tramps Lady
Blaine

Naww, I was gunna write that sad hahaha

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2011 12:40 AM
Bwa Ha Ha

Did you look it up or already know it, though?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2011 05:32 AM
siriuswriter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bwa Ha Ha
Did you look it up or already know it, though?

already know it. i think that that fun fact was brought to me my sophomore high school year.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2011 11:14 PM
Bwa Ha Ha

Oh. Okay, you get the bonus points!

eek!

*Note to self: Look up word and memorize it*

Old Post Jan 24th, 2011 06:46 AM
Tramps Lady
Blaine

haha.
I was in English one day, and my friend said it's not a real word, because it has two negatives.

And I said no, it's a real word. So I got my phone out and looked it up to prove it to him.

I won.

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 24th, 2011 07:24 AM
Bwa Ha Ha

You should've done a little victory dance and stuff.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2011 08:01 PM
Tramps Lady
Blaine

I did. smile

<3 21 JumpStreet <3

Old Post Jan 25th, 2011 02:36 AM
Bwa Ha Ha

*high fives*

Old Post Jan 25th, 2011 03:56 PM