KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » USH'S GAME- DARK SIDER POLL- Raison d'etre

Why do you do it?
This poll is closed.
Power! I see a New Order for the Galaxy, with me at or near the top. 3 33.33%
Greed. I want to accumulate like Power, but not necessarily to rule. I could do with being richer than anyone can possibly imagine though. 0 0%
Revenge. I am going to get my own back on all those bastards who ever laid me down. I will show that I am superior to they. 1 11.11%
Fun. It's great! Look at what I can do, oh, it's marvellous! Kill people, see how the others run... the more I get the more I can do! 4 44.44%
Nihilism. I have no reason. I just do it. Chaos is the result. 0 0%
Destiny. I am just following the Path before me in the most efficient way I know, which is the Dark Side. Considerations like Morality are irrelevant to me. 0 0%
Other- please specify. 1 11.11%
Total: 9 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

USH'S GAME- DARK SIDER POLL- Raison d'etre
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S GAME- DARK SIDER POLL- Raison d'etre

And here is a new poll for the Dark Siders. It is a question about something that has always existed but now is more relevant than ever. Why do you DO it?

That might seem like an odd question, but think about it. Life on the Dark Side is a bastard. Constantly worrying about betrayal. Hated everywhere. Hunted by the Jedi. No permanent home, no settled life, and no prsopects for the future without extreme difficulty. Sure, you are dangerous and have powers, but what do you do with them? Get into more and more dangerous situations! Kuylen gave your lives purpose- but why do you bother?

This is a fundamental question for any Dark Sider. Why DO you do it? Look at Anakin. As Vader, he was just a creature of evil and no-one cared more than that. But now we are seeing WHY he became Vader. It was not just a random declaration of evil.

When I said this game was one that accepted Dark Siders, it was a decision with risk. Playing the bad guys in a game is a dangerous venture because the essence of storytelling is about good guys, not bad. The very last thing I wanted was one-dimensional, comic book villains. I do not need PLAYERS to play them- I could do them myself. Certainly, for example, I would never want anyone to play like Chion. He is a bad guy of the decidedly old-fashioned sense.

If you are going to accept 'evil' in your game, it has to be on the premise not just that evil can be cool- because random acts of psychopathy become very dull very soon- but on the idea that it is INTERESTING.

You, in this game, do NOT play the antagonists to the Jedi protagonists. if you did, you would not be playing at all- you would be helping me run the game against the Jedi. No, you are a seperate group of protagonists. You have your own struggles, problems, disasters, defeats, victories. And more importantly, your own motivations, mindsets, and goals. You are more than one-dimensional bad guys. You are fully fledged participants in your own right.

And the reason this now becomes more important than ever is that you all now know that you guys have a genuine shot at power. You might actually achieve something. But you might have been concentrating so much on GETTING there... that you forget there is a 'what happens next?'.

Hence this poll. I provide several motivations- you may provide your own if you want. You may also want to ask yourself- what are the motivations of the ones played by me...?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 27th, 2003 at 03:05 PM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2003 02:14 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Baylin
Back in story!

Initially I chose the dark side so I could be nasty and kill for the fun of it. Now I'm finding it's more fun trying to think in an evil manner as appose to the gung ho kill everything attitude. I've never played 'evil' before and I'm quite enjoying it although I sometimes wish I could have a grey character just to balance things out.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2003 09:57 PM
Baylin is currently offline Click here to Send Baylin a Private Message Find more posts by Baylin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Fun, Galder loves to have fun during combat!

Old Post Oct 24th, 2003 10:44 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

power

Old Post Oct 27th, 2003 02:05 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
genral zink
Keeper of the Jello

I chose other, for it is a bit of Greed, having a thirst for power and a lot of cash, a bit of Revenge, on my father (who I've already killed), and a bit of Fun, because it's awesome what I can do!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 05:40 AM
genral zink is currently offline Click here to Send genral zink a Private Message Find more posts by genral zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

But no one dominant thing that drives you?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 29th, 2003 11:32 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
genral zink
Keeper of the Jello

Probably Greed then. My father was greedy, so am I. But my choice of other still stands.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2003 02:47 AM
genral zink is currently offline Click here to Send genral zink a Private Message Find more posts by genral zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Melkor

Ushgarak, can I resurrect this interesting and still valid thread?

Gallador`s motivation is Power, he believes in New Order let by Force Users, who will use their power to rule lesser beings for their own good. His second motivation is greed, mostly for knowledge and mastery of the force, not in physical sense. His third motivation is revenge on the Jedi, that failed him and the people of Galaxy.

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Jun 5th, 2005 10:37 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Zink
Bane

Heh!

The current me, the non-Wraith character, thinks the same as Gallador. Power to Rand! Fear Rand! He is your leader!

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 03:15 AM
General Zink is currently offline Click here to Send General Zink a Private Message Find more posts by General Zink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Pfft, you're not our leader stick out tongue

With Rianna it's mainly revenge....

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 03:30 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Vote, woman! stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 03:31 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I did, so there stick out tongue

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 04:32 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Power would be Tanic's motivation, probably. At first it was justice, and a type of revenge for his Master's death in a way the Jedi couldn't deliver. Then it was fear, and now it's a mixture of fear and power.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 07:50 AM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The only reason ever to join the dark side would be coolness, now seriously who doesn't want to be Darth Bane?

Although Jedi are almost as cool the Darths just have the upper hand in that regard.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 12:10 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

This thread has long been superceded by the Tips thread. Closing.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 6th, 2005 12:11 PM