KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » USH'S NEW STAR WARS GAME- Starting July 2008

USH'S NEW STAR WARS GAME- Starting July 2008
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (34): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

USH'S NEW STAR WARS GAME- Starting July 2008

Yes, the time is finally drawing near.

Starting this summer, the long awaited fourth episodes of the Second Campaign of my Prequel Trilogy Star Wars game will begin.

This thread serves as advanced notice to the approaching start of that game- both for my veteran players (who I could do with a final roll-call from so I can plan things properly) and for any new players that wish to join one of my games at this point.

To that end, some questions and answers.

Can anyone join?

In theory, yes. In practice, there are several issues to consider- I can only handle so many players, and literally speaking I have as many as I need to run the game.

But this game would have died long ago if it had not taken in new players and the current play group (‘current’ being a relative term, as the last episode was some years ago) is made up of quite a cross-section of joining dates, branching from one player who joined in the very first story back in 2001, to those who only joined in the most recent.

My games are highly regulated and are my best attempt to simulate a table-top role-playing experience online; there is a rules system and dice rolling (which I handle) and fully regulated combat. Years of experience have allowed us to streamline the gameplay as much as possible, but I must emphasise that a certain amount of commitment is essential to playing my games. A friendly player group will help you with any rules difficulties so please do not be put off by that- indeed, the majority of the game is very easy to play. The commitment is as much to do with making sure you keep up with the story and are able to make meaningful decisions within it than it is to do with knowing when to activate powers x or y.

In short- new players are very welcome, but a dedication to the game, and a very strong interest in one or both of Star Wars and role-playing in general are very useful qualities. Please do ask around the player group for more information! They can tell you much more about the experience of playing my games than I can, of course.

Did you say EpisodeS? And number four? And the second campaign? What the heck would I be getting into?

Yes, my Star Wars games have been running a long time and have accumulated a large mythology and back story of their own- but no-one need to be alarmed as, even though things are currently mid-story (having ended on relative cliffhangers last time), this is a perfectly accessible time to join the game.

These games are set in the Prequel Trilogy Era, and tell the story of several small groups of Force Users in the dying years of the Old Republic. As the growing shadow of the Sith and the coming Clone Wars make all uneasy, the endless wonders, mysteries- and threats- of the Galaxy beset them also.

The first Campaign, set just after The Phantom Menace- told the story of a fallen Jedi named Kuylen, a Master Swordsman and strategic planner, as he attempted to resurrect the ancient secrets of the Sith- unaware that he was treading on the toes of the real Sith, not as extinct as most had thought. But Darth Sidious, unable to use the recently deceased Darth Maul to deal with the upstart, used his new position as Chancellor to manipulate a group of Jedi into chasing down Kuylen, even as the Jedi Council realized that no good would come of hunting him.

Meanwhile, Kuylen’s Dark Sided followers, trained by him to be the match of Jedi, had to survive in a hostile Galaxy and elude their Jedi pursuers as they attempted to find their ultimate goal on the edge of the Galaxy. The Campaign, which took several years, ended with Kuylen and his followers discovering that the prize they sought never really existed. A broken Kuylen disappeared and was not seen again, but his Jedi pursuers, realizing their mission had been needless also, found only discomfort on their quest also.

The second campaign, now in progress, is not a direct continuation of that story, which was finished, but extended the setting into the ten years leading up to the Clone Wars. A group of Jedi- partially comprising of some veterans from the Kuylen mission- are back to work as normal, keeping peace around the Galaxy. But strange things are afoot- internal corruption within from the likes of the Trade Federation and Techno Union, and mysterious appearances from without the Republic also.

One of the Jedi from the Kuylen mission was never easy with the dictats from the Council, and during this period has taken leave of the Order and set up a private business to combat the evils of the Galaxy in his own way. Freed from the legal constraints of the Order- though also lacking their resources and authority- he takes the fight to the heart of the corrupt interests that are slowly eroding justice in the Galaxy, along with any Jedi who will fight alongside him.

Meanwhile, at the fringes of the Galaxy, a group of Dark Siders are locked in a struggle for survival. An alliance of some of Kuylen’s old followers and other Dark Siders needing a group to survive, they find the Galaxy is changing. Death squads are eliminating all Dark Siders in the Galaxy, and only good chance- or the favour of the Force- has granted them a base of safety, though one ever under peril. Whilst they seek to unravel the meaning of these strange execution squads, these Dark Siders also hold onto the tantalizing promise that is left over from the days of Kuylen- a complete record of all history and teachings of the Sith, recovered by Kuylen and his lackies years ago but long hidden in a secret location, the only clue in the hands of these Dark Siders. But they too have noticed unusual mysteries from without the Republic. Beset by threats from all sides, the follow the ultimate creed of the Dark Side- survival. But to survive, you need power…

Three different groups, then, and three different stories. Two of these are open to new players. The first story, a purely Jedi affair, concerns some long-term plotlines and is also the most advanced story. Only veteran Jedi will be sent, and it would not be a good story for beginners.
However, Jedi are needed to deal with an invasion of Republican space by a vicious technology-obsessed religious cult, far from Coruscant. A Jedi is already suspected to have been killed by these attackers, and a small team was earlier dispatched to assess the situation. Recent reports are that a small war had broken out as the Jedi sent attempted to pacify the area; more Jedi may be sent as back-up. For new players, an ideal place to start.

By coincidence- should you believe in such things- the Renegade Jedi are investigatingthese attacks also, suspecting collusion with corrupt corporate interests, especially the Techno Union. Some of these Renegades were are away doing field work when the investigation started and will arrive in that region of space later than the others- any new Renegade players would represent such people.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the Galaxy, the security of the Dark Siders’ hidden base on Epireus is often threatened. The Dark Siders make use of the local life forms as slave labour. The Epireans may be dull-witted and primitive but they are strong and vicious. This makes them useful slaves and warriors, but also means the danger of rebellion is ever present. Any new Dark Side players have been dealing with the rebellion of the Epirean Warlord Ogros- returning after a six month campaign to their headquarters on the planet, they will find circumstances have changed somewhat during their absence…

So, what about these rules then?

They aren’t up yet. There is, in fact, a brand new rules system coming, partly based off the recent Matrix system we used for that game, simpler and quicker than previous rules systems, yet still keeping the same style and approach.

When the rules system comes out, new players will have to make characters, but the process will not be too painful, and as ever others will help out.

Older players may be pleased to know that their characters are (slowly!) being converted to the new system. All accumulated xp will be spent as part of that process so everything will be squared away! There will just be a few spending decisions to make and/or confirm.

Expect the new rules to be up sometimes in June; the character creation part of it will likely follow after, when the templates are finished.

So, what now?

If you are interested, or have any questions, ask away here.

Veteran players, I know I asked before, but as I mentioned above, I’d just like a final roll-call of those who will play, so I can make necessary plot adjustments. Thanks!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jun 7th, 2008 at 05:52 PM

Old Post May 30th, 2008 08:59 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I am definitely in.

stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post May 30th, 2008 09:06 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Excellent! I can't wait. Much sooner than I expected, though!

Hopefully we can get Retrospection squared away before I have to start converting the rules over for all of those, too. That would be a partial nightmare, I think.

Old Post May 30th, 2008 09:46 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Melkor

I will play, of course!

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:05 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

I am interested in the Jedi part... but I am still unsure if I can fit in with all the rules and such

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:15 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

The rules that Ush will be introducing will be much more simplified than the current ones. Shouldn't be difficult. smile

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:21 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Roan Trilanger Reporting for duty!

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:33 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alkaselzer
Thespian

Now we shall see what Sienar can really do...

You'd better save my ass, Roan.

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:36 PM
Alkaselzer is currently offline Click here to Send Alkaselzer a Private Message Find more posts by Alkaselzer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Melkor

Becoming Sienar`s apprentice would be pretty cool, Gallagher.

Frankly, I am more keen on OT story at the moment, most likely due to long brake. But I reall want to know what is going on with the Lady.

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:53 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Rianna is ready to destroy stuff big grin

Yaaaaaaay PT eek!

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 30th, 2008 10:57 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I'm guessing the most OT stuff we'll be doing for awhile is Retro, Melkor. stick out tongue

Old Post May 30th, 2008 11:34 PM
Peach
mordrem

Which is fine with me.

I WANT TO GET BACK TO PT ALREADY.

stick out tongue

Old Post May 30th, 2008 11:39 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Melkor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Captain REX
I'm guessing the most OT stuff we'll be doing for awhile is Retro, Melkor. stick out tongue

Not enough evilness there, though you made a real bad guy out of Einar... very interesting, of course. I really enjoy your game.

Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post May 30th, 2008 11:53 PM
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

Dak will most definitely be back.

The Psycho Brigade shall be even more of a force to be reckoned with this time 'round!

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 12:06 AM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Hopefully it will pick up soon. Your game required a lot of establishing this and providing background for that and so on.

And I agree! CHAAAAAAARGE!!!

Old Post May 31st, 2008 12:07 AM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

The rules that Ush will be introducing will be much more simplified than the current ones. Shouldn't be difficult. smile

it's not difficult but it is hard to find a way through the mess if you do not know anything about it wink

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 31st, 2008 12:42 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by General Kaliero
Dak will most definitely be back.

The Psycho Brigade shall be even more of a force to be reckoned with this time 'round!

Well, duh we will, it's us stick out tongue

Old Post May 31st, 2008 12:44 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Hopefully it will pick up soon. Your game required a lot of establishing this and providing background for that and so on.

And I agree! CHAAAAAAARGE!!!
The near death option 60% of the time it works every time cool

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post May 31st, 2008 12:48 AM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jazzman_78
Jedi

Andro will certainly be back. He owes Gallagher a saving!

'Jedi are at their best when things don't go as planned.' - Anakin Skywalker, whom we now know never met Andro Fenris.

Old Post May 31st, 2008 02:46 AM
Jazzman_78 is currently offline Click here to Send Jazzman_78 a Private Message Find more posts by Jazzman_78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

I am quite interested in this. I'm in. Sounds very good. smile

Old Post May 31st, 2008 03:58 PM
Col. Valerian is currently offline Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote