KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Star Wars: Role Playing » PURITY SABRE DUEL- Roan vs. Sienar

PURITY SABRE DUEL- Roan vs. Sienar
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

PURITY SABRE DUEL- Roan vs. Sienar

And so, for the first time in years, we return to our sabre duel format...

-

THE SET-UP: The Jedi are on the planet Mandragos, home of the Synod of Ferradyne, a religion that worshipos the Light Side. They are there to try and build a case against Sienar, an Abbot in the Synod who has done great good in the galaxy, but whom in the previous episodes was discovered to be a powerful Dark Sider playing a long game, who has loomed in the back stories of many players.

Now elected Archimandrite- leader of the Synod and Head of State on Mandragos- Sienar has mocked the Jedi all story, claiming that they will never get enough evidence against him before it is too late, and daring them to kill him before that (offering no resistance), a temptation at least one Jedi nearly went for.

To make matters worse, Sienar took with him to Mandragos the Acolyte Gallagher, who since last episode has been trying to avert the massive deaths that will be be caused by a coming famine- a famine he knows that Sienar is in some way instrumental to stopping. The Jedi had hoped to bring Gallagher back, but since being with Sienar he has started to act very strangely and refused to rejoin his friends.

Now the situation has changed. The Jedi finally acquired enough evidence to move against Sienar's associates, who offered lethal resistance. Now, keen to recover Gallagher who they fear may be slipping to the Dark Side, they have advanced to face Sienar himself. Sienar claims that they are idneed now too late, so he has no more need for deception. He faces them openly. And he has little to lose. The Jedi knew that Sienar suffered form a crippling wasting disease- but they have only just found out that a degenerative brain condition means he also only has weeks to live at most.

Sienar's cunning and traps have reduced the final amount of Jedi he faces to one, Roan, the most senior Jedi in the group, who fought at Zeiton when we last had such a duel.

The fight is in a library room. It is poorly lit but the contents of much of the room have been dumped into a hidden chamber underneath as part of Sienar's trap; a metal floor has slid back covering that over. Sienar threw a few bookcases at Roan as he made his way to Sienar, but the floor is generally clear so the environment makes no difference to this duel.

HOW THIS WORKS: Well... here we go!

Combatants will exchange blows each turn, trying to defeat their foe's guard and score the single blow you need to win a sabre duel. One player is nominated as the attacker. The title of attacker changes between participants each round of the duel.

There are three different moves you can make, each based on one of the three physical stats of Strength, Dexterity or Agility. You add the value of your chosen stat onto your sabre skill as used in combat to get the final power of your move.

There are two other complications. First, moves become better against other moves. Strength moves get a bonus against Dexterity, Dexterity gets a bonus against Agility, and Agility gets a bonus against Strength,. The bonus is worth two extra points.

The other complication is that when you play your move, it has an inbuilt extra power of +0 (known as a weak move), +1 (a normal move) or +2 (a strong move).

Obviously, if you could, you would only ever play strong moves... but your options are not that flexible. At the start of the duel, each combatant chooses to take six moves, choosing no more than three of one type. This gives you a 'hand' of moves to choose from each turn. The strength of each move is randomly determined, but weak attacks are more common than normal, which are more common than strong. When you get down to just one card remaining, you re-draw your hand.

The highest score wins each turn. If a draw, then the attacker wins. Winning scores you a point. First to five points wins... so long as you are leading by at least two points. The duel continues until one playe has at least five points, and two more than his opponent.

ANALYSIS:

Roan is a skilled and veteran Jedi. Sienar's skills with the force are truly formiddable and his skill with a sabre great as well- but Sienar is an ageing cripple also. But Roan has much on his mind- his fellow Jedi caught in a trap of Sienar's, the possible failure of his mission, his ignorance of what Sienar's plan actually is, and his fears for Gallagher, whom Sienar is preventing the Jedi from accessing. At least one fear- that of Sienar himself will now be settled.

Roan has leapt into the offence and hence is the attacker.

Roan- please select your fitst hand of six moves.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 29th, 2009 at 09:56 AM

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 09:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Well as I don't have any particular stat that is better than any other. I will go for 2 of each.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 09:46 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You may wish to cosndier Sienar's stats in that decision.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 09:48 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I think he's got a Low Agility.
So 3 strength and 3 dexterity.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 10:17 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok! Well, we'll pick up things tomorrow as I have no save function for the programme that co-ordinates this.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 20th, 2009 10:22 PM
Jazzman_78
Jedi

(Good luck, Roan. Burn him down for Andro!)

'Jedi are at their best when things don't go as planned.' - Anakin Skywalker, whom we now know never met Andro Fenris.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2009 02:07 AM
Jazzman_78 is currently offline Click here to Send Jazzman_78 a Private Message Find more posts by Jazzman_78 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sorry, was about to draw for you, but I have a sudden worry- can I just check your justication on drawing three Dexterity?

BtVS

Old Post Aug 21st, 2009 01:55 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Oh, I ment to draw 3 agility.
I misspoke..

Old Post Aug 21st, 2009 11:44 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Very well!

Your draw is reasonable, Roan. You have drawn:

Strength (Normal)
Strength (Normal)
Strength (Weak)

Agility (Normal)
Agility (Normal)
Agility (Normal)

Current Score:

Roan: 0

Sienar: 0

Roan is attacker.

-

Your sabres having clashed, Sienar steps back as the metal floor closes. His hood falls back to reveal his disintegrated face, half eaten away, with the exposed gumline and no hair.

"You cannot win, Jedi," he says. "Strike me down... and what difference does it make?

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 25th, 2009 at 03:13 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2009 05:32 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I'll go for a normal strength move as I step into the first attack after landing.

"I'm not playing your games anymore Sienar. This ends now."

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 08:53 PM
Lord Melkor

(Shouldn`t you specify whether Roan is going for Strenght move or Dexterity move?)

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 09:41 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

...I did...

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 09:53 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sienar plays Weak Strength. Final score is... 14 all. A tie... but Roan gets the round as attacker!

Current Score:

Roan: 1

Sienar: 0

Sienar is attacker.

---

You step forward and make your blow, Roan, Your blades clashm,a nd Sienar shows great strength for such a shattered body... but right now, your youth and energy is gettign the edge and you force him back...

"No game, Jedi. And not your choice whether to take part."

BtVS

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2009 10:15 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I'll play a Normal agility

"Then what do you call this?"

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 03:53 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sienar plays normal Dexterity. Round is 17 to 14 in his favour!

Current Score:

Sienar: 1

Roan is attacker.

-

You make a fake-out to dash to his side, Roan, but Sienar's had is already outstretched. A flurry of books comes your way and impact into yuor side as you twist out the way, and then Sienar is upon you with a sequencde of three blows that are again faster than you would have thought possibler from such a person. Now you have to give ground under his attack, lest you lose your guard.

"What do you think this is, Jedi? This is deadly serious, and no matter what move you make, you lose!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 08:34 AM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

"Really? I feel you may be losing as well."
Another Normal Dexterity.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2009 11:37 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'll need the correct move confirmed there, Roan.

BtVS

Old Post Aug 25th, 2009 01:18 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Yea, because I apparently can't remember to do anything..
Normal AGILITY...

Old Post Aug 25th, 2009 03:09 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sienar plays normal Dexterity again for an exact replay! That's a broken serve there...

Current Score:

Sienar: 2

Sienar is attacker.

-

This time, Sienar gestures and a shelf out of your sight comes into your back as you try to move around. Sienar's blows are now gathering in speed.

Red sabre clashes against blue (I believe). the custom grip of Sienar- that provides finger holes for his malformed hands with its stubby remntants of fingers- is proving up to the task as Roan finds himself driven back, the flash of clashing sabres illuminating the whole of the darkrned room.

"I cannot lose, Jedi! No, in fact- I have already won!"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 25th, 2009 06:43 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

(Green, but ok...)
Tactic change...
I'll go for a Normal Strength.
"Why do you say that. Do you think you can really turn Gallagher?"

Old Post Aug 25th, 2009 10:44 PM