KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » MLB Talk

MLB Talk
Started by: JoeyO11

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (92): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JoeyO11

MLB Talk

Couldn't find a baseball thread on page 1, which with Spring Training so close, is BLASPHEMY! mad

So, let's get some discussion started in here.

Who's gonna win it all this year?

What difference will the Damon signing make to the Yankees and the AL East as a whole?

Have my Mets finally got what it takes to take the Braves' NL East crown?

What chances do you give of a White Sox repeat?

Who's your bet for the AL/NL Cy Young and MVP awards?

Come one, come all! Happy Dance

PS Yankees suck. big grin

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 01:21 PM
JoeyO11 is currently offline Click here to Send JoeyO11 a Private Message Find more posts by JoeyO11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

IMO, the Mets vs the Sox or Yanks. AL MVP-Arod, especially with 2 bonafide leadoff men in front of him, and Sheff, Hideki, and Giambi behind him. AL Cy Young-Santana, or a member of Sox staff.

NL MVP-(yawn) Pujols. NL Cy Young-Probably Pedro, unless Oswalt has anything to say about it.

The Damon signing gives the Yanks the AL East, doesn't give them the pennant however. That they'll have to win.

Again, all this is just my opinion.erm

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 02:11 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dexx
wingless

great...these are the sort of threads that save me from merging everything all the time.

joey, you can have a biscuit

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 02:46 PM
Dexx is currently offline Click here to Send Dexx a Private Message Find more posts by Dexx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Angels sign Jeff Weaver for a year. Washburn, Bengie Molina, and Finley gone. We need one more big bat to have a solid team.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 05:10 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JoeyO11

Dexx, chocolate i hope. big grin

Bobby, i presume you're talking about the ChiSox. A Mets-Yanks WS would be great, with the Mets taking the spoils. Happy Dance I think you're spot on with your MVP/Cy Young predictions, btw.

I still think the Sox will be dangerous in the AL East, their pitching should be better this year, and they still have the best 3-4 lineup combo in the major leagues. And, the Jays have obviously made huge strides forward with their offseason moves.

Even though i hate the guy and his team, if i get the #1 overall pick in my fantasy draft this year i'm takin' A-Rod, because of the lineup around him as you mentioned.

Who are you a fan of, BD?

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 05:38 PM
JoeyO11 is currently offline Click here to Send JoeyO11 a Private Message Find more posts by JoeyO11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheMercurial
Unmythical mortal

Go Yankees!!!

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 07:28 PM
TheMercurial is currently offline Click here to Send TheMercurial a Private Message Find more posts by TheMercurial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Joey, in response to your question about which team I am a fan of......

.........the...............................................................

...........Cubs.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2006 07:42 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JoeyO11

Xirius, not cool. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bobby, i won't laugh...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

Sorry, couldn't help it. big grin

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 01:23 AM
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Where do everyone think David Wells is going to go? I think he'll be out of boston within the month.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 01:40 AM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Strangelove
The King Stay The King

Best team is the Chicago White Sox. They only got better with Thome and still retained most of their lineup. Most complete team in baseball bar none.

Red Sox should be improved. If Schill can get healthy, Beckett/Schill combo will be nasty. Losing Damon isn't as big as people think since the Red Sox got a player just as good and half the price in Coco.

A's- They will again challenge the Angles for the west. Their starting pitching is arguably the best in baseball and should get better since they were very young and inexperienced last year. Harden could win the Cy Young if he stays healthy. The bullpen is as good as it has been in years. Thomas having a big year could be the big factor in overtaking the Angles.

Giants- Barry should be back which is a huge plus. Saying that, both Benitez and Smiddy need to have great years for the Giants to do well.

“As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods, they kill us for their sport.”

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove on Feb 18th, 2006 at 02:08 AM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 02:06 AM
Dr. Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Who's going to win this year...hmm tough call. I'm not making a decision.

Screw the signing of Damon and how that will affect the AL East, how bout them Jays, I think they're signings will make the different in the AL East. They have a really good baseball team, thats not all stars. If the gel quickly, Burnett and Ryan play well and Glaus hits HR's, that team will seriously make a different in the playoff race. But everything could turn to shit.

Cy Young: Roy Halladay. ( I'm a Blue Jays fan, but I didnt pick him because I'm a fan, I pick him because he is the top three pitcher in the AL, or even the league, and he would of won it if he didnt get a fluke injury

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 06:04 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DanZeke25
You can't beat me.

I like the Phillies getting Aaron Rowand. But that still doesn't help our pitching. I think we'll be in the race for the division but those damn Mets will probaly win the division. Brett Myers is our only consistant pitcher. We have John Leiber who did pretty good last year, but you can't depend on him to be good every time he pitches. If the Braves win the division again this year, then I will kill someone. I really think they will end up in 3rd place this year though behind the Mets and Phillies.

The Red Sox didn't lose a whole lot with Damon, and they got Coco who is good. Plus, Damon will not be as good this year IMO because he is not a good hitter in Yankee Stadium. I believe his career batting average there is .240? I know its bad. If you don't know yet, I hate the Yankees. I hope they go 0-162.

And White Sox fans are getting excited over Thome and people are saying its a big pickup but its not. I don't believe they got better with him. He strikes out a million times a year. He can bareley hit anymore. And he gets injured. But I'm happy they got him because now he's off the Phillies. Trust me, I know about Thome and he is nothing now. I'm not saying the White Sox got worse, but they didnt get better IMO.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 06:38 PM
DanZeke25 is currently offline Click here to Send DanZeke25 a Private Message Find more posts by DanZeke25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JoeyO11

I agree with Dan about Thome, Frank Thomas almost did more than him in his short time healthy last season than Thome did the entire season...And Thome was playing in a very hitter-friendly ballpark.

I really like the Rowand pickup too, he's always been a player i liked, and i think he will thrive in Philly...

The pitching is obviously the Achilles heel, with no real improvement to what was already a below average rotation, and losing Wagner is a huge blow. Gaining him is great though, i must say. big grin

I wouldn't quite say Coco is "as good" as Damon exactly, but a good replacement yes...More of a gain for the Yucks than a loss for the Sox i would say...

If Santana was in the NL, Doc Halladay would be my Cy Young pick too...

If the Braves win the division this year, i am going to slaughter fuzzy animals.

The Jays did grossly overpay Ryan and Burnett though, no question. Great to see them become very competitive though, definitely adds some spice to the AL East mix.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 09:33 PM
TheMercurial
Unmythical mortal

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JoeyO11
Xirius, not cool. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Whats wrong with liking the Yankees?
You're just annoyed coz I said it entirely to spite you

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 10:01 PM
TheMercurial is currently offline Click here to Send TheMercurial a Private Message Find more posts by TheMercurial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JoeyO11

Originally posted by Xirius
Whats wrong with liking the Yankees?
You're just annoyed coz I said it entirely to spite you

The Yankmes are the scum of the earth. George Steinbrenner is Satan. A-Rod is a homo. As is Jeter, and anybody else wearing Yucks pinstripes.

Why don't you just go with a younger, less PURE EVIL team like, i don't know, the 2006 NL East champion New York Mets? smile

Great to see this thread is Yankee fan free to date. big grin Well, that is, unless you consider bandwagon boy Xirius to be one. stick out tongue

Of course, i'm just messing around...I welcome the inevitable Yankee contingent to stop in...Will make it all the more satisfying when they choke in the playoffs once again, and the Mets regain their rightul place as NY's baseball elite. Happy Dance It's not like i hate Yankee fans...More pity them. wink

Last edited by JoeyO11 on Feb 18th, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 11:18 PM
forumcrew

Bonds said he is playing 1 more year and then hes calling it quite record, or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/...000000000000000

Old Post Feb 20th, 2006 09:54 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

gain for the Yucks than a loss for the Sox i would say...

If Santana was in the NL, Doc Halladay would be my Cy Young pick too...

If the Braves win the division this year, i am going to slaughter fuzzy animals.

The Jays did grossly overpay Ryan and Burnett though, no question. Great to see them become very competitive though, definitely adds some spice to the AL East mix.

Yeah, but the Doc would of won it if he didnt get a freak injury last year.

The Jays did overspend, but they have too. Nonbody wanted to play in Toronto at all, so to get a free agent, they have to overspend, especially considering the teams in thier divisions. But what I like about the signings is that because they got Burnett and Ryan, guys like Glaus, Molina and others will sign a contract with them. It happened back in the early 90's when they won 2 World Series.

Also, unlike the Yanks or Sox, they overspent on guys that have an age under 30. If Ryan and Burnett were 37, I would not agree with the signings. Also, if they dont work out, they will be trade bait for the tradeline, and i know somebody will pick them up. But overall, they took a team that was good last year, and added power, better pitching and a closer who is really good. All the lost was Hudson. They bascially have the same team as last year but upgraded significantly.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2006 11:44 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

The Yankmes are the scum of the earth. George Steinbrenner is Satan. A-Rod is a homo. As is Jeter, and anybody else wearing Yucks pinstripes.

Why don't you just go with a younger, less PURE EVIL team like, i don't know, the 2006 NL East champion New York Mets? smile

Great to see this thread is Yankee fan free to date. big grin Well, that is, unless you consider bandwagon boy Xirius to be one. stick out tongue

Of course, i'm just messing around...I welcome the inevitable Yankee contingent to stop in...Will make it all the more satisfying when they choke in the playoffs once again, and the Mets regain their rightul place as NY's baseball elite. Happy Dance It's not like i hate Yankee fans...More pity them. wink

Oh please I wouldn't be bragging about the Mets. Having a payroll above 100 million dollars, and only having a record of 4 games above .500 is nothing to be happy about.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2006 02:14 AM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Kirby Puckett....Rest in Peace.

Great ball player.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 04:21 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

R.I.P. Kirby from a Halos fan.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2006 07:16 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote