KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Snowboarding, some advise?

Snowboarding, some advise?
Started by: Pandemoniac

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Snowboarding, some advise?

Going First time winter-sporting next February, and bravely choose the snowboard as my way of transportation.
I'll take some lessons at indoor lanes before, but I guess it can't hurt to ask around here for some tips & tricks as well.
Enlighten me if you please!

Old Post Dec 21st, 2007 11:16 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
forumcrew

make sure you dont have anything planned the next day. I have been snowboarding for about 7 years now and I love it. But I still remember my first time, it was a bit harsh at times and quite painful the next day. I was also at a shitty resort with mostly fake snow and icy conditions at night time. It is much better if you can go early in the morning with fresh snow.

As far as a basic tip goes, its easy to stand up and go down the hill anyone could do it. The skill comes in learning control in your movement and stopping. Your gonna have to be willing to fall and go down to learn to stop and turn, but you gotta just go for it. A lof people will just go straight for a while and then sort of force them selves to fall and try to almost sit down instead of just actually trying to stop.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 02:54 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've always found that faster bails are much easier to handle, they seem to hurt less because you're going that much faster. Just commit and you'll be fine, but obviously don't commit beyond your means.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 04:47 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Thanks guys! I'll keep your advise in mind.
Going to Austria, and there should be some good snow by that time. And also a downhill named Harakiri, but won't be trying that just yet.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2007 08:27 PM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Is it easy to learn?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 02:07 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

The basics are relatively easy to learn, you have to be prepared to bail a lot when putting them into full practice though.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 02:25 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Might give it a shot if snow appears this year.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 06:32 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

How is global warming affecting the sport?

Old Post Dec 26th, 2007 09:00 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JackieCD

I'm too afraid to Snowboard. I tried skiing and all I could do is the "pizza" and "fries"

Old Post Dec 27th, 2007 12:52 AM
JackieCD is currently offline Click here to Send JackieCD a Private Message Find more posts by JackieCD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Ok, had a couple of lessons indoor, and while the beginning was like expected -lots of snowbiting and butt-brusing- I was amused.
My toe-side turn needs alot of work, but I'm getting a hang on it. Bound for many more crashes on the real mountains with camera's rolling so keep an eye out for me on youtube!

Old Post Feb 6th, 2008 07:04 PM
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

dont fall down

Old Post Feb 6th, 2008 07:10 PM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote