KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Why do Americans call it football?

Why do Americans call it football?
Started by: ultimatethor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Naija boy

Why do Americans call it football?

I like American football a lot but i have always wondered why a game that is primarily played with the hands is called FOOTball, any special reasons?

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 02:49 PM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Don't question us.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 03:15 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

Re: Why do Americans call it football?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ultimatethor
I like American football a lot but i have always wondered why a game that is primarily played with the hands is called FOOTball, any special reasons?

"HandBall" was already taken! big grin

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 06:26 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PINBALL

Well there are kickoffs and field goals.....No real reason though...

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 07:13 PM
PINBALL is currently offline Click here to Send PINBALL a Private Message Find more posts by PINBALL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

It's called football because american football is based off rugby football, and in the end, instead of calling it american football, they shortened it to football.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 07:21 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

The real question should be, Why is SOCCER refer to as Football? Mostly non american refer to Soccer as Football or is it Futbol?

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2008 07:32 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

American football will be called football forever. The NFL has more power than a lot of countries in this world, so it will never be changed.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 12:34 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It doesn;t have more power than the football playing federation! FIFA is on a scale that the NFL can only dream of.

There is no particular mystery as to why soccer is mostly called football, seeing how it is played. Out of all the 'football' group of sports, it gets to be called 'football' by the majority of the world as it is by far and away the most popular.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 01:00 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naija boy

Another question i wanted to ask was why do the winners of the nfl, nba, and mlb all call themselves world champions when these leagues are made up of only teams from american cities( and sometimes canadian cities)? Shouldnt US champions or something be much more appropriate?

All thanks goes to starlock.
"Beware trolls, know me and know fear"

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 01:03 PM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

The fact is, it was called football first, and American football began its life in England as an offshoot of rugby.

It's called football, not soccer.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 01:03 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

Originally posted by Darth Vicious
The real question should be, Why is SOCCER refer to as Football? Mostly non american refer to Soccer as Football or is it Futbol?

It's association football, which shortens to soccer.
It's stupid though, it's football.

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 01:28 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Originally posted by Ushgarak
It doesn;t have more power than the football playing federation! FIFA is on a scale that the NFL can only dream of.

Terrific. I said countries, not sports organizations. And right now I think the billion-dollar NFL has more power than Burkina Faso.

Last edited by botankus on Feb 19th, 2008 at 04:00 PM

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 03:57 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

so do i...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 03:58 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Another question i wanted to ask was why do the winners of the nfl, nba, and mlb all call themselves world champions when these leagues are made up of only teams from american cities( and sometimes canadian cities)? Shouldnt US champions or something be much more appropriate?

Why MLB and the NBA do it, I have no idea. I think it's proven that the US clearly does not have the dominance in those sports that it used to have. The NFL, on the other hand, well, that makes perfect sense...even if the Barcelona Dragons had anything to say about it. big grin

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 04:00 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Theres a lot of odd phrases which have evolved in various languages.
Look at cricket, they never have proper games but always have "tests", youŽd have thought theyŽd have had enough of testing and want to play a proper game.

But people should call their sport whatever they want, as long as everyones happy who cares.

As far as NFL is concerned what amazes me most is that people actually enjoy watching it, they yanks probably say the same about footy.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 04:15 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
anaconda
Jukebox

quote:
Look at cricket, they never have proper games but always have "tests", youŽd have thought theyŽd have had enough of testing and want to play a proper game.
laughing out loud laughing

never argue with an idiot, they only drag you down to their level and beat you by experience

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 05:16 PM
anaconda is currently offline Click here to Send anaconda a Private Message Find more posts by anaconda Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by botankus
Terrific. I said countries, not sports organizations. And right now I think the billion-dollar NFL has more power than Burkina Faso.

And my point stands identically; FIFA is more powerful still. In the context of what you said that was entirely relevant. If you ar saying that the reason the name would never be changed (not that anyone was saying it was) is because of the power of the NFL, that is in error as football (soccer) is more powerful in that respect.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 05:28 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Df02

FIFA is probably the most powerful sporting entity in the world... In fact, I can't imagine there's much 'probably' involved.

TotalFormat Forums
tomorrow is so far and I no longer want to find a replacement for all these pictures that are lost in my mind

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 06:59 PM
Df02 is currently offline Click here to Send Df02 a Private Message Find more posts by Df02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RocasAtoll

Because no singular team will match that team from anywhere else. Yes, American teams when they are composed of Americans are defeated in basketball and baseball, but no outside team could really stand up to salary caps of American teams, since they pretty much equal a third world country's treasury.

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 01:37 AM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Re: Why do Americans call it football?

History.com

Old Post Feb 20th, 2008 11:11 PM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote