KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » Lyoto Machida--is he a true karate sylist????

Lyoto Machida--is he a true karate sylist????
Started by: CosmicSurfer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CosmicSurfer

Lyoto Machida--is he a true karate sylist????

I read many articles claiming Lyoto is a traditional Shotokan sylist with a BJJ black belt. But I disagree here, he did crosstrain in wrestling and muay thai to be successful. So karate alone is not good enough for his stand up package to win against so many top names in the UFC. I think his so-called "Machida Karate" is a hybid of Shotokan and Muay Thai.

What are your takes on this? Do you think pure karate has any chance against pure Muay Thai--which dominates as a stand up style in MMA?

Any MMA fans in here???

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 08:56 PM
CosmicSurfer is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicSurfer a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicSurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RocasAtoll

It has no chance since Karate isn't tailored towards real fighting.

And if you look down farther, you'll see a sports section where this topic will fit better.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 08:57 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicSurfer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
It has no chance since Karate isn't tailored towards real fighting.

And if you look down farther, you'll see a sports section where this topic will fit better.

Sorry, can this thread be put in the right section by the administrator?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 09:00 PM
CosmicSurfer is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicSurfer a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicSurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Lyoto Machida--is he a true karate sylist????

Originally posted by CosmicSurfer
I read many articles claiming Lyoto is a traditional Shotokan sylist with a BJJ black belt. But I disagree here, he did crosstrain in wrestling and muay thai to be successful. So karate alone is not good enough for his stand up package to win against so many top names in the UFC. I think his so-called "Machida Karate" is a hybid of Shotokan and Muay Thai.

What are your takes on this? Do you think pure karate has any chance against pure Muay Thai--which dominates as a stand up style in MMA?

Any MMA fans in here???

He is an MMA fighter, simple as that.

Possible, really depends on the opponents, but I'd wager the Muay Thai is better prepared to KO or incapacitate his opponent than a Karate practitioner is. Opponents being equal, I'd always bet on the Muay Thai fighter.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 09:02 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

what exactly is karate??? laughing laughing laughing laughing

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2009 09:50 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

His background is Karate, but he's truely a mixed martial artist. He's the epitome of how a fighter should pick apart his opponneent.

Anyway, I'm cheering for Shogun. I prefer Muay Thai style fighters.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 12:52 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
what exactly is karate??? laughing laughing laughing laughing
Not sure waht you mean by that. But karate is a great form of martial arts. Great for balance, movement, elusivness, and striking without getting struck.

Even Fedor Emelianenko took Karate/Tae Kwon Do lessons a couple years back for balance and better movement.

Life is short and the art long, the occasion instant, experiment perilous, decision difficult.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 12:57 AM
Dr. Leg Kick is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Leg Kick a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Leg Kick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naija boy

His standup is predominantly shotokan karate but he does incorporate elements of muay thai into it.

All thanks goes to starlock.
"Beware trolls, know me and know fear"

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 01:43 AM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Re: Lyoto Machida--is he a true karate sylist????

Any MMA fans in here???

It depends on what you mean by "true" stylist. He is certainly not a karate purist. Purists generally don't do well in today's fighting world, so most fighters crosstrain to at least some extent. He is, however, a legitimate karate practitioner. He didn't just slap on a gi and began fighting.

His standup is certainly based in karate though. To deny that is ludicrous. His karate is hyped up because he is about the only fighter to really take the finer aspects of the style and use them effectively at such a high level. Also, it helps market him.

The typical karateka wouldn't do well against the typical muay thai artist. Most karate schools cater to parents who don't actually want to see their kids fight. These schools essentially have students flick their feet in the air a couple of times per week without regard to actual combat. Muay thai schools usually feature much more alive, realistic sparring and other training. In general, muay thai students are much more prepared for a fight.

Exceptions exist obviously. Several schools of karate, like Kyokushin, emphasize alive training. There are also karate fighters who've met with success against various muay thai stylists. Andy Hug comes to mind.

I personally think we'll see "traditional" styles return to proper training in the future due the growing mainstream appeal of MMA/Vale Tudo. I've even seen a capoeira guy doing well recently. I forgot his name though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Oct 24th, 2009 at 04:02 AM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 03:58 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicSurfer

Re: Re: Lyoto Machida--is he a true karate sylist????

Originally posted by StyleTime
It depends on what you mean by "true" stylist. He is certainly not a karate purist. Purists generally don't do well in today's fighting world, so most fighters crosstrain to at least some extent. He is, however, a legitimate karate practitioner. He didn't just slap on a gi and began fighting.

His standup is certainly based in karate though. To deny that is ludicrous. His karate is hyped up because he is about the only fighter to really take the finer aspects of the style and use them effectively at such a high level. Also, it helps market him.

Exceptions exist obviously. Several schools of karate, like Kyokushin, emphasize alive training. There are also karate fighters who've met with success against various muay thai stylists. Andy Hug comes to mind.

I personally think we'll see "traditional" styles return to proper training in the future due the growing mainstream appeal of MMA/Vale Tudo. I've even seen a capoeira guy doing well recently. I forgot his name though.

You're right. A better word should have been 'purist' instead. He's not a purist at all as an MMA fighter.

Kyokushin is a hybrid karate style that blends in boxing, muay thai, along with the best effective techniques from karate. It isn't purely Japanese. Even though Mas Oyama is Korean.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 04:26 PM
Dr. Leg Kick
Aesculapius

Machida has also trained in Sumo for a good amount of time. He's well versed in all aspects of fighting. That's why he's well decorated in his grappling and took Tito down with ease.

Anyway, I want Shogun to win. I'm saying Shogun via KO

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 24th, 2009 10:46 PM
StyleTime

You're right. A better word should have been 'purist' instead. He's not a purist at all as an MMA fighter.

Kyokushin is a hybrid karate style that blends in boxing, muay thai, along with the best effective techniques from karate. It isn't purely Japanese. Even though Mas Oyama is Korean.

Meh, I'm sure several schools do incorporate other striking styles, but kyokushin itself seems to be fairly pure with regards to its techniques. The compeition themselves are open format, so many different styles are represented even though it may called a "kyokushin" event. Naturally, this leads to cross pollination as effective techniques are needed to win the competition. I wouldn't say that necessarily makes kyokushin a hybrid style in the sense that say, shidokan, is a hybrid style.
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Machida has also trained in Sumo for a good amount of time. He's well versed in all aspects of fighting. That's why he's well decorated in his grappling and took Tito down with ease.

Anyway, I want Shogun to win. I'm saying Shogun via KO

Yeah, many people are unaware that Machida has those mad sumo skills.

I think Machida is cool, so I don't want to see him KOed. I do want Shogun to win though. He probably won't sad but I'll be cheering for him anyway.

Last edited by StyleTime on Oct 25th, 2009 at 01:44 AM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2009 01:33 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote