KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » 2010 FIFA World Cup

2010 FIFA World Cup
Started by: §P0oONY

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (46): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
§P0oONY

2010 FIFA World Cup

Now that domestic seasons are pretty much over I feel it's time to really start talking about the greatest sporting even to grace our great world. With the South Africa World Cup around a month away it's time to really begin rejoicing in the beautiful game.

What are you looking foreward to? Who are you rooting for? Do you think your nation can win it? What about team selections and satuff like that?

I know there is a football thread but I believe that a tournament as large as this really deserves it own thread.

Oh yeah.... and COME ON ENGLAND!!!

Last edited by §P0oONY on May 11th, 2010 at 09:07 AM

Old Post May 11th, 2010 08:59 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I hope France don't win. That's pretty much it. If Italy qualified, i tend to root for them.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 11th, 2010 09:00 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

As a neutral I'm glad that France are in. They are a better side than their rocky qualification showed.

Rooting for the Itallians is a bit of a weird one though, their brand of football isn't the greatest to watch.

Old Post May 11th, 2010 09:09 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by §P0oONY
As a neutral I'm glad that France are in. They are a better side than their rocky qualification showed.

Rooting for the Itallians is a bit of a weird one though, their brand of football isn't the greatest to watch.

I don't think that's particularly fair. In the last World Cup (if i'm remembering this right), their match with Germany was one of the highlights of the tournament.

They aren't the most fluid side, but when they're on form they play good efficient football, with a bit of class always seeming to come from somewhere.

Plus, they're one of the few big sides that always seem to know how to defend properly.

Still don't want France to win. They tend to be one of the bigger cheaters at any tournament (funnily enough, even before the whole Ireland thing).

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 11th, 2010 09:14 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Italy are great for grindig ou results, I agree on the defence bit tough... They really fight tooth and nail at the back. It's just ashame that they don't really move foreward much while they have the lead.

I've always just found Italian football a bit meh, same with German, it's just not the most free-flowing football. It's just opinion I guess... You just see most neutrals going for teams like Brazil and Spain (and England, but that's because of Beckham [see 2002 WC])

Naturally I'd never expect anyone, let alone someone from the ROI to support France in the torunament... I just like to see the best teams in the competition though, and France are one of them.

Old Post May 11th, 2010 09:24 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Italy are great for grindig ou results, I agree on the defence bit tough... They really fight tooth and nail at the back. It's just ashame that they don't really move foreward much while they have the lead.

I've always just found Italian football a bit meh, same with German, it's just not the most free-flowing football. It's just opinion I guess... You just see most neutrals going for teams like Brazil and Spain (and England, but that's because of Beckham [see 2002 WC])

Naturally I'd never expect anyone, let alone someone from the ROI to support France in the torunament... I just like to see the best teams in the competition though, and France are one of them.

italian football itself isn't great, but the national team is a different story entirely. yes, they have some bad times, but when they had that successful run, they were playing good football as much as they were grinding out results, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 11th, 2010 09:44 AM
Liberator
Mums Gardener

I was really hoping to get behind Ireland this cup but due to some ****er...

Anyways, England seem to have a pretty decent shot (they due every Cup but I'm sure we all know how that goes). As long as England isn't, well, England, we can win it again.

I haven't been a fan of the Italians since that dive against the Aussies.

Theirry Henri shouldn't be allowe to play in my opinion. Cheating bastard.

- Emma Goldman

Old Post May 11th, 2010 01:30 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

I agree with you on the England not being England front. Although... and maybe it's just me... but things do feel different to usual pre-cup build up. This year there seems to be a real feeling that we have a shot (without getting carried away), To be honest I think we do have more chance this year than anytime in my lifetime (I am only 21 though), You've got the fact that Capello has really whipped the side into shape, mergred with the fact that sides like Argentina, France and Germany aren't really firing like you'd expect.. it really does make England one of the favourites.

I have to say that I agree with the bookies though, Spain are the favourites... and if England don't win it I'd like to see the Spanish take it down. I mean, they are even more overdue than anyone when it comes to winning a World Cup.

Side-note: New England provisional squad list has been released, a few suprises but I don't think a bad list at all. It does show that the side really does have a lot of depth.

Old Post May 11th, 2010 04:29 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I sides like Argentina, France and Germany aren't really firing like you'd expect.. it really does make England one of the favourites.

That´s the odd thing about certain teams, especially Germany, Friendlies and Qualification games they tend to play compact but without furious intent and get by, but when it comes to the tournament they always manage to change up a few gears & do well.

Germany are well organised, have discipline and the national teams success is much more important to the people than the clubs success.

Whereas England tend to have more emphasis on club football, and don´t seem to play as a team. And the old habits always seem to come through, ie giving the ball away to easily, not finishing an opponent off, having lulls in the game and having crap goal keepers.

Argentina arn´t going to get far, Maradonna was an amazing player but lets face it he´s a crap manager and Messi isn´t a one man match winner he needs good service like he gets in Barcelona, otherwise he can be doubled up and kept out of the game.

I personally think the Netherlands are going to take it this time, especially if Robben is fit, he is devastating at the moment and if he
keeps this form he will be hard to stop.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 09:49 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Just noticed that Micheal Ballack won´t be taking part after that lunatic Boateng took him out. He was targeting Ballack imo.

I even said to my wife "look that Boateng who is going to be playing for Ghana against Germany in the world cup its trying to take Ballack out."

Old Post May 17th, 2010 11:39 AM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Just noticed that Micheal Ballack won´t be taking part after that lunatic Boateng took him out. He was targeting Ballack imo.

I even said to my wife "look that Boateng who is going to be playing for Ghana against Germany in the world cup its trying to take Ballack out."

Hahahaha.

That's a real shame though, Ballack's a great player for Germany.

- Emma Goldman

Old Post May 17th, 2010 12:15 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

yep, but it also leaves the door open for some young talent to come along and fight for a place in the team. A hard spot to fill though, Ballack is an excellent midfielder.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 01:05 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

The winner of this tournament will be decided in the quarter-finals, depending on which side will win. Either the Netherlands or Spain.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 06:47 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I personally think it will be decided in the Final.

Old Post May 18th, 2010 01:30 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

I personally think it will be decided in the Final.

Haha, did anybody ever tell you you're ****ing hilarious?

Old Post May 18th, 2010 04:05 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by Slay
Haha, did anybody ever tell you you're ****ing hilarious?

Sorry for the sarcasm, its a humorous thing in some countries.

I do think this tournament could be unpredictable though, with maybe some outsider team getting to the final and even beating a favourite in that end game.

I also think other suprises could arise, like some lunatics shooting a few people like in the African Cup of nations.

Old Post May 18th, 2010 07:20 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Sorry for the sarcasm, its a humorous thing in some countries.

I do think this tournament could be unpredictable though, with maybe some outsider team getting to the final and even beating a favourite in that end game.

I also think other suprises could arise, like some lunatics shooting a few people like in the African Cup of nations.

No, really, ****ing hilarious, trust me, I know a thing or two about humour, I'm French.

Yeah, I think Serbia will be the upset of the tournament, they have a good team right now that can surprise a lot of established teams.

Old Post May 19th, 2010 03:06 PM
Liberator
Mums Gardener

On a lighter note for Ballack, he says that he's still going to be playing for Germany internationally, just not in this world cup.

Serbia? They have a decently hard group for themselves. Netherlands is obviously the favourite for it, but Austria has always been a pretty average side that might pose some problem, and Ghana is actually surprisingly strong. If they can get through the Group stage then possibly... but I don't think they really have the potential for any real damage.

- Emma Goldman

Old Post May 19th, 2010 03:18 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by Slay
No, really, ****ing hilarious, trust me, I know a thing or two about humour, I'm French.

Yeah, I think Serbia will be the upset of the tournament, they have a good team right now that can surprise a lot of established teams.

French arn't really renowned for their humour now are they, or are they? I'll find out in summer as I'm going on holiday to the Vendee`area, are the people nice there?

I was wondering why the French national team has mainly players of African decent, are the "natural or typical" (if there is such a thing) French person more interested in Rugby or other sports?

Serbia could do well, they might cause Germany to have an early exit especially if Ghana do well in the group as well. They have some excellent players and Pantalic is an excellent finisher.

Old Post May 19th, 2010 03:59 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

French arn't really renowned for their humour now are they, or are they? I'll find out in summer as I'm going on holiday to the Vendee`area, are the people nice there?

I was wondering why the French national team has mainly players of African decent, are the "natural or typical" (if there is such a thing) French person more interested in Rugby or other sports?

Serbia could do well, they might cause Germany to have an early exit especially if Ghana do well in the group as well. They have some excellent players and Pantalic is an excellent finisher.

They definitely aren't. Well, I'm not really French, but I've actually been to the Vendee. It was in 1999 or 2000 or something though, so I don't really remember that much about it. Probably because I was 14 back then.

Pantelic hasn't really impressed me that much at Ajax to be honest, but that may have to do with Suarez having a great season. He was very good at Frankfurt and Hertha though. Serbia has some good midfielders in Kuzmanovic, Kacar, Stankovic and Krasic and a good striking couple in Pantelic and Jovanovic. Their defence is excellent as well with Vidic, Ivanovic and Dragutinovic. And with Germany missing Ballack, who knows what might happen.

Old Post May 19th, 2010 05:43 PM