KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Difference bettween kenshin and SamuraiX

Difference bettween kenshin and SamuraiX
Started by: DenialX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
DenialX

Difference bettween kenshin and SamuraiX

I downloaded some kenshin and episodes and watched some but then i saw some Samurai Xvideos and they looked completely different Samurai X was gory and more serious but yet when i search Samurai X i get Kenshin
Why?
I want that gory one

Old Post Apr 10th, 2004 11:48 PM
DenialX is currently offline Click here to Send DenialX a Private Message Find more posts by DenialX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

As I understand it ...

Samurai X and Rurouni Kenshin can both refer to the show released in America as Rurouni Kenshin. Rurouni Kenshin is its proper name, but I believe there were plans to release it under the name Samurai X.

But Samurai X is also the title used in Rurouni Kenshin movies and OAVs, which are, as you pointed out, darker and more violent. Hence the confussion.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2004 04:09 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jekyll†hyde

Yeah... for some reason, two different companies licensed RuroKen, so we get the anime, called Rurouni Kenshin, and the OVAs and movie, called Samurai X. -_- The dubbed voice actors/actresses are also different between the two companies (between the anime and the OVAs, at least - haven't bought the movie yet T_T), so, if you don't mind "reading" a movie, I suggest watching the subtitled Japanese language version of the OVA, at least. The dub sucks... and in the OVAs, they left a lot of things out of the dub that you kind of need to know-- but they don't cut dialog in the subbed version. -_- Oh, well... oh yeah, the OVAs were rated "Suggested 16+" for blood and gore and violence alone. O.O That's my kind of anime...

One more thing... I don't know why the one company (ADV, I think) decided to call it "Samurai X," because Kenshin isn't a samurai... he was not, is not, and never will be... but, I guess to sell the series to the majority of ignorant (and I use the word in a loving manner) Americans, they had to call it something cool. So they did. Only it's stupid. Not cool. -_- oh, well... the name doesn't make the series, the series does. And the series rocks *glomps Kenshin* ^.^

( current obsession : otakon )

Old Post Apr 11th, 2004 06:15 PM
jekyll†hyde is currently offline Click here to Send jekyll†hyde a Private Message Find more posts by jekyll†hyde Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I thought "rurouni" was derived from "ronin," a masterless samurai.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2004 07:48 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
el_barto
I'm So Bored With the USA

quote:
Originally posted by jE¬KiLL¬HYDe
Yeah... for some reason, two different companies licensed RuroKen, so we get the anime, called Rurouni Kenshin, and the OVAs and movie, called Samurai X. -_- The dubbed voice actors/actresses are also different between the two companies (between the anime and the OVAs, at least - haven't bought the movie yet T_T), so, if you don't mind "reading" a movie, I suggest watching the subtitled Japanese language version of the OVA, at least. The dub sucks... and in the OVAs, they left a lot of things out of the dub that you kind of need to know-- but they don't cut dialog in the subbed version. -_- Oh, well... oh yeah, the OVAs were rated "Suggested 16+" for blood and gore and violence alone. O.O That's my kind of anime...

One more thing... I don't know why the one company (ADV, I think) decided to call it "Samurai X," because Kenshin isn't a samurai... he was not, is not, and never will be... but, I guess to sell the series to the majority of ignorant (and I use the word in a loving manner) Americans, they had to call it something cool. So they did. Only it's stupid. Not cool. -_- oh, well... the name doesn't make the series, the series does. And the series rocks *glomps Kenshin* ^.^

umm excuse me but......kenshin is a samurai any one who weilds a samurai sword in a war is a samurai and the meaning for the x is for the x on his cheek

BTW: if you read the manga a rurouni is a wonderer

You Call This a New Way of Thinking? I Call This Regression to Ignorance.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2004 08:27 PM
el_barto is currently offline Click here to Send el_barto a Private Message Find more posts by el_barto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jekyll†hyde

quote:
Originally posted by el_barto
umm excuse me but......kenshin is a samurai any one who weilds a samurai sword in a war is a samurai and the meaning for the x is for the x on his cheek

BTW: if you read the manga a rurouni is a wonderer

Um... no. First, a katana is not solely a "samurai sword." Plenty of warriors who weren't samurai wielded katanas-- ninjas and onmitsu did, though it wasn't their sole weapon.

Second, Kenshin is NOT a samurai-- his parents were farmers living in a very small farming town. To be a samurai, you have to be born into a samurai family (or be adopted by one, I suppose). "Anyone who wields a sword in a war..." that's called a swordsman. ^_^ All samurai are swordsmen, but not all swordsmen are samurai. (It's like the square-and-rectangle thing. The samurai are the squares and the swordsmen are the rectangles.)

I'll give you the part about the "X" on his cheek... I can see that. But I still think ADV picked the name just because it sounded cool. ^_^

"Rurouni" is derived from "rônin" (or rounin) and "rurô" (or rurou). Rônin is a masterless samurai, yes, and rurô is ...something like wandering, or wanderer, or vagabond. I forgot... but Watsuki didn't use the kanji for the word "rurouni," so the two words (and their meanings) could be combined without the kanji being screwed up. I believe rurouni has more of a meaning of "wandering (unaffiliated [from the "rônin" part]) swordsman" than "wandering rônin." The word rurouni was translated in English as either wanderer (dubbed anime) or vagabond (translated manga), yes-- because "wandering swordsman-but-not-rônin" was too much to write. ^_^

Well... that was quite a tangent. ^.^ Sorry if I sounded mean, el_barto... sad I didn't try to be mean-- just trying to clarify things... heheh... *dodges barrage of rotten tomatoes*

Old Post Apr 17th, 2004 06:57 PM
jekyll†hyde is currently offline Click here to Send jekyll†hyde a Private Message Find more posts by jekyll†hyde Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Saitou

Sorry to burst you samurai lovers' bubbles out there, but kenshin was not a samurai. First off, as someone mentioned before, you have to be of samurai blood. Meaning his parents had to be of samurai lineage. His parents died of cholera, which most likely means they were poor. While some samurai were more well off than others, most had good accomodations from their lords and and it's unlikely they'd have gotten cholera had they been a samurai family. But let's give some people the benefit of the doubt, and say for some reason his parents WERE of samurai blood, he still wasn't. The more important part of being a samurai is following bushido. Kenshin does not follow bushido. Kenshin was a "kenshi", or swordsman. Also, katana were not the only weapon samurai used. Some used them, but others used arrows, and still others used naginata.

Rurouni Kenshin was also not the original Japanese title. The original Japanese title was "A meiji swordsman's romance". The word "rurouni", as far as I've read is a word made by watsuki. So the whole "ronin" thing is obsolete. Don't mean to make anyone feel bad, just wanted to help clear things up.

Old Post May 1st, 2004 09:11 PM
Saitou is currently offline Click here to Send Saitou a Private Message Find more posts by Saitou Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
animeelf
weeeeeee

kenshin is hotter in samurai x... but the second movie confused the crap outta me.

Happy Dance Happy Dance

Old Post Jul 1st, 2004 08:10 PM
animeelf is currently offline Click here to Send animeelf a Private Message Find more posts by animeelf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jekyll†hyde

The original title was "Rurouni Kenshin..." the "meiji kenkaku romantan" part was just a... description? *shrugs* I don't really know what it is, but it's not the actual title. "Rurouni Kenshin" is.

As for the "second movie" thing... well, there's one movie, and two OVA episodes.

Just a small question... but which page was this topic on when it was bumped? blink It must've been pretty far back, because my first post in this thread was like my second post on KMC... blink

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2004 04:07 PM
greywind7h31337

Trust and Betrayal are about when kenshin was stolen from his family, raised by hiko and his gf died, then he became a WANDERER WHO IS TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE. 1st kenshin tv episode. i also belive that the episode introducing yahiko after kenshin patted him on the head two women saw his sword and said something like "hes wearing a sword! Its the magi era and swords were banned 2 years a go. then the other one says i guess that you can't extinguish the soul of a samurai." this proabbly doesn't prove anythin cause they didn't know if kenshin had samurai blood in him.

yahiko could b a samurai tho...

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2004 07:34 PM
greywind7h31337 is currently offline Click here to Send greywind7h31337 a Private Message Find more posts by greywind7h31337 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jekyll†hyde

Yahiko is a samurai~ well... he's of samurai descent, anyway. Technically, there were no samurai in the Meiji era, but his father was a samurai.

And those women just assumed that Kenshin was a samurai because he had a katana. happy

Kenshin probably wasn't stolen from his family; his parents died of cholera. It was never really explained how the slavers took him, only that they did. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: And Kenshin was actually married to Tomoe; granted, it was only for show, but the point is that they were married... and she didn't "die," she was killed.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2004 06:52 AM