KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Thoughts on dubbed anime

Your thoughts on dubs?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Can't stand it.... 1 10.00%
Ehh, it's okay sometimes, but crap most of the time. 4 40.00%
It's pretty good. 5 50.00%
I love it! 0 0%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Thoughts on dubbed anime
Started by: Lana

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

Thoughts on dubbed anime

Okay, I did a search and didn't find anything about this....if anyone manages to dig up a thread on this topic, then feel free to merge/close this, Wind smile

Anyway, what are your thoughts on dubbed anime?

Personally, I can't stand when they dub an anime into English. I'm aware of the fact that this is how many anime become popular outside of Japan....but it's just the fact that so often it's very badly done. My all-time favorite anime is Sailormoon....and look what they did to it! Cut out entire episodes (and merged a few together), changed all the character names, even changed parts of the story...and there's the entire last season, Sailor Stars, which has never been shown in the US and likely never will.

And for some reason, it seems that most American voice actors for anime are really bad. I know this isn't always the case...but many anime that I've watched dubbed have horrid VA's (Sailormoon once again being a prime example).

Also, I dislike how so much stuff is edited (like I've already touched on). Even anime that's dubbed to be shown on cable channels (like Cartoon Network) is fairly heavily edited. Good example here -- Gundam Wing. Lines like "I will kill you" were changed to "I will destroy you", Duo's nickname of God of Death was changed to something else (I can't remember what), anytime blood was shown it was edited out...

Now don't get me wrong, there are many very good dubs. Good examples of these are Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, Trigun, and Fruits Basket. Even the unedited Gundam Wing is excellently done (and for that matter, I've met Scott McNeil, Duo's VA, and he's an awesome guy). But once it seems that dubs are getting higher in quality, we have companies that are destroying great anime like Tokyo Mew Mew! Is it REALLY necessary to change all the character names and the show title? I think now.

So, there's my thoughts on the topic....I'd like to get the thoughts of everyone else.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 04:49 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sai12
its all in my head

I dont' mind dubbed anime...usually. I prefer to watch it in English..less work. Hehe, but I know some anime's they do a very horrible job at dubbing them.

Here is my list of DO NOT WATCHED DUBBED!!!

Ranma 1/2
X: The Movie
Slayers (Show and OVA's)
Tenchi in Tokyo
DNAngel

Some of those are just personal preference. And others...really don't watch them dubbed. DNAngel I think might just be because I orginally watched it subbed.

Dubbed is alright...most of the time. But once you get into those older animes, they suck. Most of the newer ones are done very well. I'm surprised at how well they are actually doing on them.

My two cents wink

Made by BX. http://ipods.freepay.com/?r=23119621 Please?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 11:22 PM
sai12 is currently offline Click here to Send sai12 a Private Message Find more posts by sai12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TrAnCeDuO
Cyan-Assassin

meh...it cant be helped...sometimes you have to basterdize what you love most in order to view it at all on tv.

or you could just shell out whatever money your willing to pay in order to see the original.

Made by "The Ones"

Old Post Jun 11th, 2005 11:28 PM
TrAnCeDuO is currently offline Click here to Send TrAnCeDuO a Private Message Find more posts by TrAnCeDuO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilCap America

It all depends really.Certain dubs done by particularly evil people like 4kids [A company that dumbs things down to the point where only retarded children will enjoy it] ALWAYS inevitablly make bad dubs where they seem to purposely remove entire plotlines obliterate character motivation and go out of their to make characters sound like a Purple Whale in a Hanna Barbara cartoon[and equally berift of ANY emotional impact].This is closer to the dubs of yore[like the previously mentioned Sailior Moon dub] which had to fit into a very strict guideline and be compatable with 0 intellect 0 depth drek like Smurfs or Muppet babies.It was in that time that the people got into the habit of Americanizing most of the names for no real reasons [ maybe because retarded children cant understand them] and changing harsh languange like "kill" to something cuter and fluffier like "Destroy"[Because the outside world obviously doesnt contain anything so harsh]

Then there are the occasional good dubs usually made by people with at least a moderate interest in keeping the quality high and preserving the spirit of the original.FLCL was one of the best dubs ever IMO with only Mamimi seeming off at all and im sure there are others like Bebop etc.Usually if these end up on TV at all they just barely skirt past the FCC[ie the 60+ year olds that tell you what is appropriate in their point of view and make that law.God help whatever doesnt meet their ancient standards like women outside the home or integration]

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 01:28 PM
EvilCap America is currently offline Click here to Send EvilCap America a Private Message Find more posts by EvilCap America Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I hate watching animes in german....they do a really bad job...japanese with english subtitels is the best way to watch an anime

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 01:33 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sai12
its all in my head

Well, I have on more thing to say on this...(Or I hope its only one thing)
Don't watch anime on tv, they have to fit those restriction and whatnot, so its edited and killed!! Unless you like watching it edited that way.

I don't watch anime on tv (Cuz I can't) so I don't have to deal with it that way. I used to watch DBZ, but I didn't watch it on tv cuz they took out all the blood and everything. I'm sure they do that to most anime.

And we all know that a lot of anime wasn't intended for kids smile

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 03:40 PM
sai12 is currently offline Click here to Send sai12 a Private Message Find more posts by sai12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EvilCap America

quote: (post)
Originally posted by sai12
Well, I have on more thing to say on this...(Or I hope its only one thing)
Don't watch anime on tv, they have to fit those restriction and whatnot, so its edited and killed!! Unless you like watching it edited that way.

I don't watch anime on tv (Cuz I can't) so I don't have to deal with it that way. I used to watch DBZ, but I didn't watch it on tv cuz they took out all the blood and everything. I'm sure they do that to most anime.

And we all know that a lot of anime wasn't intended for kids smile

I agree thats what uncut DVDs are for especially considering a lot of great anime will never be deemed "Suitable" for the mainstream market.Im not talking about anime with "objectionable material" here either im talking about things a bnch of TV execs think people wont be into like Kaleido Star Yakitate!! Japan[Which i really wanna see] Azumanaga Daioh or Fruits Basket.No card games or over the top Kill'em action=No TV deal

When all else fails or when price is a factor Anime Conventions can be great for free veiwing.Thats how i saw all of Azumanga and my Mom saw Chobits [yeah shes ahead of me confused ]

Last edited by EvilCap America on Jun 12th, 2005 at 03:58 PM

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 03:55 PM
EvilCap America is currently offline Click here to Send EvilCap America a Private Message Find more posts by EvilCap America Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Oh, I spend so much time in the video rooms at anime cons....

It's sad that anime like Kaleidostar and Fruits Basket will never get on TV (I've seen Azumanga Daioh on the Anime Network). But since they're not 'action' or whatever they deem is popular now they'll never make it. And they're GREAT anime, and actually very well dubbed. My sis has some Kaleidostar DVDs and I have some Furuba and I love them both, but because of lack of money I probably won't ever be able to see them all anytime soon.

Evilcap > as far as I'm concerned, 4Kids needs to burn in hell (as well as DiC, for what they did to Sailormoon). They slaugher good anime (like at current, Tokyo Mew Mew), edit it to hell, change EVERYTHING, market it to death, and refuse to even release unedited subtitled DVDs. It's really sad and horrible.

At least Sailormoon and Sailormoon R were finally released on DVD in unedited form.....big grin Now if only Stars could get licensed so I can get that on DVD instead of having to watch my (now bad quality from repeated watchings) fansubbed VHS's.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2005 09:28 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The thread is perfectly fine and there is no need to merged or close. Is very legit and on topic.

As for the discussion....Ocasionaly there are certain anime movies or series that have pretty good dubbing. Examples would be Spriggan, The wolf brigade, and classic anime tv shows like Mazinger Z and Robotech. I personally enjoyed reading the subtitles and listening to the Japanese language. But that is my personal taste. A very good example of an Anime movie with great dubbing is Appleseed. Mostly because is CGI and dubbing can be altered to match the movement of the lips.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 09:13 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ciraric

Spirited Away was quite strange in English. It lost a bit of magisticalness.

I still like it though.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 09:26 PM
Ciraric is currently offline Click here to Send Ciraric a Private Message Find more posts by Ciraric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote:
The thread is perfectly fine and there is no need to merged or close. Is very legit and on topic.

I just said that because I vaguely remember there being a thread about this some time ago, but I searched and couldn't find it.

I have yet to see Appleseed, but I've heard it's really good. And there are some anime (Cowboy Bebop being the main one) where I do prefer the dubbed version -- mostly because it was so well done.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2005 09:53 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Is right here:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...ighlight=dubbed

But this thread is rather different than that one is more about one which is better. This one is more like what you prefer. And Appleseed is indeed a great anime. According to different sources is the first full feature CGI Anime movie.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jun 15th, 2005 at 12:08 AM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 12:05 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sai12
its all in my head

Oh! I bought Appleseed on impulse! It was a very good movie! I was impressed with it! As Wind said, the dubbing on that one was amazing...Though that was cuz it was computer animated or whatever you guys like to call it. Must have been a lot easier to dub that one!!

Old Post Jun 15th, 2005 02:19 AM
Prince Nataku
Nataku

I HATE dubbed anime.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:24 PM
Prince Nataku is currently offline Click here to Send Prince Nataku a Private Message Find more posts by Prince Nataku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sai12
its all in my head

Originally posted by Flame Alchemist
I HATE dubbed anime.

Could you explain why? We'd love it if you did! Or at least I know I would! *smile*

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:26 PM
Prince Nataku
Nataku

They change it to much.They take out all the good parts out and cut down the mature parts.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:33 PM
Prince Nataku is currently offline Click here to Send Prince Nataku a Private Message Find more posts by Prince Nataku Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sai12
its all in my head

Originally posted by Flame Alchemist
They change it to much.They take out all the good parts out and cut down the mature parts.

Where do you watch it?

On DVD it doesn't change at all.....

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:45 PM
Prince Nataku
Nataku

Not on dvd all the otherb ones.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:48 PM
sai12
its all in my head

You watch it on tv? YUCK!! *gags*

(Actually I'd watch anime on tv....just can't!!)

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 10:59 PM
Prince Nataku
Nataku

Why not???

Old Post Jun 19th, 2005 11:05 PM