KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Lightspeed in the DBZverse

Lightspeed in the DBZverse
Started by: LLLLLink

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Lightspeed in the DBZverse

So, I've been hearing some info from some people that DBZ characters cannot move at lightspeed. On the other hand, there are people saying that even Raditz could move at lightspeed. It's very annoying how extreme the difference in opinions are.

So, what I want to know is this: Can a DBZ character move at the speed of light or not?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2010 08:35 PM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

No.

Absolutely not.

Raditz being FTL was a dub fabrication, it is not present in the original manga.

To date, the best speed feat in the DBZ manga is Gotenks circling the world a few times in 20+ minutes.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2010 10:57 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NemeBro
No.

Absolutely not.

Raditz being FTL was a dub fabrication, it is not present in the original manga.

To date, the best speed feat in the DBZ manga is Gotenks circling the world a few times in 20+ minutes.

Piccolo was able to fire a beam to the moon and destroy it in about a second and a half when Gohan had transformed into an ape. I don't know the math, but I assume that's a pretty significant amount of speed on that shot. Raditz was able to dodge something like this, so a better explanation than "dub fabrication" is needed to debunk that fully. Still, it may not be close to light speed at all...

As for Gotenks, he took a nap in that amount time as well. In the anime, it took him about 6 seconds to circle the world 9 times, and he took a nap afterwards.

Also, I heard something about the Instant Transmission not being a speed feat because you cant be tagged out of it. Basically, it was said to be teleportation. Is this true as well?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 03:16 AM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote:
Piccolo was able to fire a beam to the moon and destroy it in about a second and a half when Gohan had transformed into an ape. I don't know the math, but I assume that's a pretty significant amount of speed on that shot. Raditz was able to dodge something like this, so a better explanation than "dub fabrication" is needed to debunk that fully.

Whoa, one doesn't have to be as fast as something to dodge it.

If the beam is fired from, let's say 40 feet, then Raditz needs to move out of it's path, maybe 2 feet, Raditz needs to move 40/2 = 20 = one twentieth as fast as the beam to get out of the way. Assuming he didn't anticipate it at all and start moving when the finger was pointed as opposed to when the beam was launched.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 07:54 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by LLLLLink
Piccolo was able to fire a beam to the moon and destroy it in about a second and a half when Gohan had transformed into an ape. I don't know the math, but I assume that's a pretty significant amount of speed on that shot. Raditz was able to dodge something like this, so a better explanation than "dub fabrication" is needed to debunk that fully. Still, it may not be close to light speed at all...

No, you're correct.

Radditz never said he could move lightspeed, but he could move far faster than a bullet. Radditz said that Pic's aim was a little off.

And, yeah, the blast didn't travel faster than light beacuse it takes about the same time in the show as it does in real life: a little over 1 second.

As for Gotenks, he took a nap in that amount time as well. In the anime, it took him about 6 seconds to circle the world 9 times, and he took a nap afterwards.

Yeah, that's not even a percent of lightspeed. That doesn't really mean anything.

Also, I heard something about the Instant Transmission not being a speed feat because you cant be tagged out of it. Basically, it was said to be teleportation. Is this true as well?

Well, it's MUCH faster than light by many many times. But, they idiotically stated that it was light speed travel. Stupid, really.

Now, Kabito Kai does teleportation.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 01:03 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by NemeBro

No time frame was given. Stop treating speculation as fact.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 05:57 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Originally posted by dadudemon

Well, it's MUCH faster than light by many many times. But, they idiotically stated that it was light speed travel. Stupid, really.

Now, Kabito Kai does teleportation.

Yeah, I watched Cooler's Revenge and Cooler was able to tag Goku out of Instant Transmission, which destroys the idea that it's teleportation.

Also, about Sayains in space, wasn't Bardock able to breathe in space when he confronted Frieza when he destroyed the planet Vegeta?

Last edited by LLLLLink on Mar 19th, 2010 at 06:01 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 05:58 PM
Alucard25

Yeah, I watched Cooler's Revenge and Cooler was able to tag Goku out of Instant Transmission, which destroys the idea that it's teleportation.

Also, about Sayains in space, wasn't Bardock able to breathe in space when he confronted Frieza when he destroyed the planet Vegeta?

Actually no it doesn't destroy it because its a non canon movie.

Signature made by Rogue Jedi

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 07:38 PM
Alucard25 is currently offline Click here to Send Alucard25 a Private Message Find more posts by Alucard25 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hellspawn28

I thought Endless Mike would post here by now. The main issue with DBZ feats is that ki beams can be either slow as hell or fast as hell. Their too hard to judge on since lightyears don't exist in DBZ IIRC.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 07:46 PM
Hellspawn28 is currently offline Click here to Send Hellspawn28 a Private Message Find more posts by Hellspawn28 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Re: Lightspeed in the DBZverse

So, I've been hearing some info from some people that DBZ characters cannot move at lightspeed. On the other hand, there are people saying that even Raditz could move at lightspeed. It's very annoying how extreme the difference in opinions are.

So, what I want to know is this: Can a DBZ character move at the speed of light or not?

Well I believe what ever the anime says, so yes. When it comes to anime version of the characters. Now manga versions, prolly not. Goku could though, due to IT.

But as far as I know, there's no set speed limits so the whole speed thing in both the manga and anime are inconclusive.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Last edited by No End N Site on Mar 19th, 2010 at 08:02 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 07:55 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kirikaze Fuuma
Kaze no Soldier

Their traveling speed is obviously not lightspeed. Not sure about their battle speed.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 10:06 PM
Kirikaze Fuuma is currently offline Click here to Send Kirikaze Fuuma a Private Message Find more posts by Kirikaze Fuuma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Demonic Phoenix

Non-canon. Cooler doesn't even exist in canon, so it doesn't count.

"To all visitors from Transylvania looking for the head of Voivode Dracula: Yes, we have it. Yes, he's dead. No, you cannot see it. No, he will not return and invade you again. It has been over thirty years, please stop pestering us."

Last edited by Demonic Phoenix on Mar 19th, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 11:11 PM
Demonic Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Demonic Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Demonic Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I wouldn't say so. It simply seems to be teleportation via passing through whatever little dimension/space thing we see there, and then emerging at a completely unrelated point massive distances away.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 11:44 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
menokokoro

also, the cooler movie is not canon

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 11:56 PM
menokokoro is currently offline Click here to Send menokokoro a Private Message Find more posts by menokokoro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

For the record, I was talking about battle speed and by believin' the anime, I mean the other instances in the anime where Goku and the gang were mentioned or inferred to be going faster than light, in battle. Not the Raditz thing.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 11:59 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Markness

Also, about Sayains in space, wasn't Bardock able to breathe in space when he confronted Frieza when he destroyed the planet Vegeta? [/B]

Big plot hole there and so is with Gotenks flying around the Earth since saiyans supposedly suffer the same effect a human without a breathing apparatus in space would. Storing oxygen internally for a certain period of time? Just an idea but most likely not true.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2010 03:28 AM
Markness is currently offline Click here to Send Markness a Private Message Find more posts by Markness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

According to the anime it's nine laps in 7 seconds. Each lap being approximately 3/2 times the circumference of the earth.

The circumference of the earth is : Vertical circumference: 40,000 km, horizontal circumference 40,076 km.

Given:
S = 7 × ³/₂ × E
E = (E_h + E_v)/2
E_h = 40,076,000 m
E_v = 40,000,000 m
t = 7 s

Solution:
Since the orbits were spread spread out symmetrically the average circumference of the Earth, E, is the constant we're using.

v = s/t = 7 × ³/₂ × (40,076,000 +40,000,000)/2 = 420 × 10^6

Answer: 420 × 10^6 or 1.4c (1.4 × lightspeed)

I'd like to remind everyone that it isn't anime filler.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2010 11:30 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Astner
According to the anime it's nine laps in 7 seconds. Each lap being approximately 3/2 times the circumference of the earth.

The circumference of the earth is : Vertical circumference: 40,000 km, horizontal circumference 40,076 km.

Given:
S = 7 × ³/₂ × E
E = (E_h + E_v)/2
E_h = 40,076,000 m
E_v = 40,000,000 m
t = 7 s

Solution:
Since the orbits were spread spread out symmetrically the average circumference of the Earth, E, is the constant we're using.

v = s/t = 7 × ³/₂ × (40,076,000 +40,000,000)/2 = 420 × 10^6

Answer: 420 × 10^6 or 1.4c (1.4 × lightspeed)

I'd like to remind everyone that it isn't anime filler.

You're incorrect on several points.

Let's start it from the top:

I'll go with you 3/2 E_c (where E_c is the distance Gotenks traveled IF the orbit was symmetrical.) Since the orbit is NOT symmetric, but, rather, a slightly irregular circle in the shape of a flattened spiral, you have to figure out the distance between equal points on subsequent revolutions, then account for the increased distance, then use THAT distance as your distance traveled, per unit time.

From that, I think there's some sort of formula out there for the increased distance based on the "angle" the subsequent "circles" are from each other.

*watches video*

Shit.

It's even faster than you're estimating because he is NOT going in a spiral, like I said above. he is stopping completely on the other side, changing directions, and making another complete circle. That's faster than just going at it straight.

Hmmmm...

K, we'll stick with 3/2

So, to figure out the speed, per second, traveled, first, you'd have to find out the distance traveled per second...which just happens to be what "speed/velocity" is.

We know that he's traveling (((3/2)*40041)*9)/7. Remember, speed is distance traveled divided by time. Find the total distance traveled, first.

40041Km * 3/2 = 60061.5 Km per revolution.

So, now find the total distance traveled:

60061.5 Km * 9 revolutions = 540553.5 Km

We found total distance traveled. Now, we have to find speed which is distance per unit time. 7 Second is the total time to travel that distance, so we want to find how many Km he traveled in 1 second.

Divide our total number by 7 to find that:

77222 Km/s

Now, we have to compare those to the speed of light.

That's 299,972 Km/s

So, divide 77222 by the speed of light to find what percentage he traveled of the speed of light: .2574 C or 25.74%

So, he was traveling just a tad over a quarter of the speed of light.

BTW, the average circumference that I used was the mean circumference.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2010 02:19 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

1. Not near lightspeed, and you do not necessarily need to be as fast as something to dodge it.

2. I was being generous. And... We do not actually see him taking a nap, according to Astner's scans we actually seem to see him land. So... where was the nap?

3. It is essentially teleportation, Cooler movie is noncanon, he has never shown to move while "Transmitting."

Old Post Mar 20th, 2010 02:45 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Originally posted by Astner
No time frame was given. Stop treating speculation as fact.

The Fusion is thirty minutes long.

Piccolo said he onlyhas a minute left before it ends.

Thereforce, it took over twenty minutes.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2010 02:46 PM