KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Hajime no Ippo

Hajime no Ippo
Started by: AuraAngel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Hajime no Ippo

(please log in to view the image)

Time for Ippo to get it's own thread.

For the uninitiated, Hajime no Ippo is a long running Sports Manga centered on the young lad pictured above. His name is Makunochi Ippo and he aims to be the very best like no one ever was. At least as a featherweight. The story starts from Ippo's first exposure all the way until the present day, where Ippo is competing on a world stage.

Now I expect this thread to not have the most attention since despite my saying Ippo is a great manga, most wouldn't read it. At time of writing it has 300+ more chapters than One Piece. It's been going on since the 80's. It's in it for the long haul and frankly if One Piece finished before it I would not be surprised.

Ippo is a very fun manga, with lots of funny humor, great action(I can still recall fights from over a thousand chapters ago for point of reference), and a lot of heart felt moments in there. Has it's flaws but for what it is worth I enjoy it more than any of the Big Three.

So if it looks interesting and the length doesn't put you off then Ippo is worth a look.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2014 11:53 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

The Anime is pretty rad

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 12:06 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

I'm on episode 44 of the Fighting, the original anime. The humor in this show is just never not funny.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 12:22 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Yamcha
Desert Bandit

It's easily one of my favorites, I can't get enough of this show and the anime adaptions are sick! Like usually when I find a series, after reading a fight in the manga I'm hard pressed to want to see it in an anime form but with Hajime No Ippo that's never the case. It's actually something I read/watch not only for enjoyment but if I also want to get pumped up to workout or do some cardio.

This series is truly amazing, I'll always reccomend it. I remember my first introduction to it was buying the first PS2 game back in the day at an old used games store, I thought it looked sick and was always a sucker for Anime styled games, this evolved into a love to this day that still holds strong haha.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:25 AM
Yamcha is currently offline Click here to Send Yamcha a Private Message Find more posts by Yamcha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

So who all keeps up with the manga? I'm interested in what people think of the most recent fight.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 01:55 AM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The current fight is a good one ^^

Btw, when I was interested in it, I felt the early stuff didn't look interesting enough, art-wise, plus it'd obviously be some time before it got to the big fights. So I read it.... backwards. I started at some time before the latest fight, read the fight and immediate fallout, then jumped backwards to the previous fight, and repeated ^^ So my first fight was Miyata vs Randy Boy, iirc, and I ate the whole series before that point that way, and read everything after the normal way.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 05:09 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Was a good one you mean.

Old art can be distracting, especially with teh coaches big ol' lips, but it never bothered me too much. But then again I liked Devilman, which is old as hell.

Reading backwards huh? I can't do that much. But the art was certainly better at Miyata vs Randy as opposed to earlier fights like Ippo vs Oda(which I don't remember at all).

So where do you think the plot will go after this? I think I've got a pretty decent hold on where it'll likely go.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 05:37 AM
pettyazo

I read this only for Takamura, invincible man.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2014 10:57 AM
pettyazo is currently offline Click here to Send pettyazo a Private Message Find more posts by pettyazo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vansonbee
Isee

Knew about this series through the anime. Amazed it has reach 1000+ chapters.

I was lied too that Takamura was defeated, in these 4 released chapters. However, Ippo overdue winning streak has finally stopped, which is good, because the formula of him winning nonstop was boring.

I was misinformed that Takamura lost his match. However, Ippo finally lost a match, which is good, because I was getting tired of him winning through the same methods.

So now the winner of this match, will face the world champion? Ippo lucked out IMO, he now has the change to learn from his lost and recover from his injuries.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 01:10 AM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AuraAngel

Reading backwards huh? I can't do that much.

It's something I got used to. There were some series I had that I wanted to re-read, but just the latter volumes, then after reading those I'd want more, and...

Anyway, I've built up ability to read stories in various orders.

quote:

So where do you think the plot will go after this? I think I've got a pretty decent hold on where it'll likely go.

Ippo's going to have to take a different tract to getting good enough world ranking to fight Ricardo.

Maybe a big training arc, he may need a new technique.

Last edited by Q99 on Aug 30th, 2014 at 02:39 AM

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 02:36 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

You think he can perfect the Dempfinity Roll?

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 02:47 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

I'm mostly glad Ippo lost because this puts him and Itagaki in an interesting position. I have a feeling Itagaki might leave the gym if only because his career as a featherweight will always be second to Ippo's as long as he stays there.

My guess is he'll go with Eiji and sooner or later they'll have their fight. Though I'd also like to see Miyata vs Itagaki.

This also gives more time for the author to focus on Takamura's rise through 6 weight classes.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2014 07:59 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Oh snap. Takamura is getting all jealous.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2014 04:49 PM
BruhMan
World Champion

I just started this show last week. Its some seriously awesome shit thumb up

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2014 09:19 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Yeah Ippo is legit stuff.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2014 02:08 AM
NemeBro

Berserk is better though.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2014 02:34 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Better at being dumb.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2014 02:46 AM
BruhMan
World Champion

Imma prolly make a HNI sig this weekend.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2014 08:44 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vansonbee
Isee

1071 - With only 10 pages, I wonder if the magazine is pushing the author to end it. So many series that I read years ago, now are ending.

^ If I'm wrong, Ippo gonna train some more and win the second time! wink

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 04:47 PM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Not sure if Ippo will get to fight this guy again. Didn't get a match with Date after all. I'm hoping for Miyata to fight him personally. Then Miyata fights Ricardo or Ippo, loses, and then our hero takes on the champ. Sendo's in there somewhere I'm sure. He can beat up Woli. Would be hilarious.

We need to move onto Takamura's next big fight.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2014 10:41 PM